DC Automatic Block Control?

Hi there, I am thinking of making a basic garden railway for my father in 00 gauge, it will be a 100ft loop. Now to stop things getting boring with just one train I was wondering whether there are any automatic block control units that I can use? Preferably non computer dependent as his computer literacy is not great. 

It would be nice to be able to operate multiple trains on the single loop using the automated block control so he can sit back and watch, he is not very good at operating nor has much interest in that side. 

Many thanks. 

I would have suggested the MERG SuperBloc system, which was conceived for just such a situation. However, the complete kits for these are no longer available, though the PCBs used to build them are. The advantage of the system over many commercial equivalents is that it needs no optical or other sensors out on the track - it works by detecting current in the module itself, so only wires connect to the track.

Not sure if anyone has ever used the system on an outdoor layout.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Gordon H said:

I would have suggested the MERG SuperBloc system, which was conceived for just such a situation. However, the complete kits for these are no longer available, though the PCBs used to build them are. The advantage of the system over many commercial equivalents is that it needs no optical or other sensors out on the track - it works by detecting current in the module itself, so only wires connect to the track.

Not sure if anyone has ever used the system on an outdoor layout.

This looks exactly like what I am after! Where would I get such items? 

I designed just such a system.  Using solenoids and magnets under brake vans actuating reed switches, it replicated block signalling with the signals  linked in to the power feeds.  Quite an elegant concept really.  The train switched power from the section behind to the section in advance when leaving any given section, if the section in advance was occupied then the train stopped before entering that section. It couldn't cope with a banker and there were issues with authority, which train had priority at the junction and the cost was excessive so it was never installed and the layout never finished because it relied on automation to work.  Don't tell me DCC would be a solution because it woudn't as it was an elongated dumbell and ran forward both ways on some parts of the track.  MERG  sounds interesting.

You might not want to believe it but DCC is the answer - 100% of my track is bi-directional, I can have as many bankers as I want, there are no issues with authority and it all runs automatically - plus it wasn't an excessive cost to build ;)

If you fancy a homebrew solution, IIRC Roger Amos' books cover automatic block signalling quite extensively, and it wouldn't be too hard to extend it to actual control of trains. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PatB said:

If you fancy a homebrew solution, IIRC Roger Amos' books cover automatic block signalling quite extensively, and it wouldn't be too hard to extend it to actual control of trains. 

Some of those circuits are quite complex and I seriously wonder if they are worth the trouble. The principle was to have relays connecting a choice of controllers to each block. One relay, per controller that you want to access particular blocks.

There are more modern methods, such as Heathcote Electronics & Train Tech. Many of these work on DC or DCC, but I suspect some of the DC functions are limited.

• RMweb Gold

I have used Heathcote IRDOTs extensively (more than 100 installed and operational), and although I don't have a completely automated loop, this would be easy to deliver.

I mainly use the automation aspect in my fiddle yards so that trains move up when the one in front leaves, this works particularly well on a Light Engine road which can contain up to 9 LE's which move up one after another.

Happy to recommend / no connection.

Tony

56 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

I have used Heathcote IRDOTs extensively (more than 100 installed and operational), and although I don't have a completely automated loop, this would be easy to deliver.

Is that indoors or outdoors?

Outdoor use of opto detection can be problematic given the wide range of ambient light conditions, and variable direction of sunlight that occurs throughout the day. A self modulated detector with automatic gain control would be needed if a reflective solution is used.

This is without considering the potential difficulties of installing equipment under the track in the garden - which of course largely depends on the method of construction.

This is why current detection is usually considered a better option in such circumstances.

Lots of brilliant replies here! The reason I didn't want dcc is because there are we'll over 100 locos to chip and all are not DCC ready, however I may be able to bi-wire the layout for DC and DCC operation as I do have a zepher DCC unit sat to one side idle. 

Perhaps any new stock going forward will be DCC. This seems to be the only option, even though you'd of thought a block section DC layout would of been quite simple to make! :(

On 18/05/2019 at 13:06, kevinlms said:

Some of those circuits are quite complex and I seriously wonder if they are worth the trouble. The principle was to have relays connecting a choice of controllers to each block. One relay, per controller that you want to access particular blocks.

There are more modern methods, such as Heathcote Electronics & Train Tech. Many of these work on DC or DCC, but I suspect some of the DC functions are limited.

That sounds like the automatic cab control described in his second book. The first contained a system for automatically controlling 3 and 4 aspect signals which was (a bit) less complex and which wouldn't be that hard to adapt to switch slowing and/or dead sections to make trains halt or run at caution as appropriate. Don't forget that, for a roundy-roundy as proposed, there is no need for a sophisticated controller for each section. A basic pot/Darlington pair type unit, costing a couple of quid for the bits would provide all the necessary speed regulation for trains out on the main line. 

• Agree 1