Marklin Whimsy?

Haggerleases

Hi all.

I'm very new here but I've fallen in love with the beautiful early tinplate buildings in the Udo Becher book.

Those beautiful models are way out of my pocket, but I wonder if any of you know if any of the current companies, Faller, Kibri etc are producing, or intend to produce similarly 'whimiscal' buildings in perhaps more modern materials. Tinplate construction being rather rare these days. I wonder if there'd be a market for it?

If not I may have to have a go at producing something myself.

Kind regards

H.

If you have a very large bank balance, which you wish to substantially reduce, MTH (I think) in the US periodically commission modern tinplate replicas of the ancient things.

One of the guys who contributes to the collectable/vintage part of RMWeb is very knowledgable about old tin buildings from continental makers, and has published a book on the topic.

You can still buy brand new, current production, tin buildings in 0 scale, from Merkur, the Czech equivalent of Hornby/Meccano, but they are far from whimsical, being representations of fairly utilitarian buildings.

MTH has indeed the rights to make Märklin replica's. Until now they have only made one station and a set of platforms. I doubt if they will ever make any further. There are some German restorers that also make new stuff in the style of Märklin, like Bauer  http://www.tinplatetimes.com/profiles/Wolfgang Bauer/bauer.htm . Further Santhion from Budapest makes new stations in the style of old Märklin. All very high priced.

Much cheaper tinplate, but not from Märklin, can be found (at eBay or at swapmeets). A lot of these are shown in my e-book:

http://sncf231e.nl/tin-stuff-from-fred-2/

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e

Thanks guys, a very interesting read, both the e-book and the web site. They will keep me busy for a while.

As to the models themselves, I don't think I'll ever be able to pay the prices for the genuine or reproduction models, so I will have to get busy producing something myself.

Once again thank you for your help and information.

• 1 month later...

MTH are horrible to use on the Märklin tracks!

The today of the market with the MTH are not good and customer witness bad trains.

If you want good quality i recommended you put money on the Märklin train toys.