SEfinecast

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Does it need https though as it's not a site you order from or enter information such as passwords?

Jason

2 hours ago, Wheres_Wally said:

It does if you don't want Google reporting it as unsafe.

Our club was asked by our web provider if we wanted to go https, we asked how much? and nearly fell through the floor and so we declined, we have not noticed any drop in enquires.

On 14/05/2019 at 08:09, Siberian Snooper said:

I have just been on the site, Android and Firefox, no problems at all,  but I see that the site has not yet been updated to include the updated 2021 kits.

Works for me, win 10 & Firefox.

Isn't the 2021 part of the 'Nucast Partners' range (joint SEF & Branchlines)? This, other than the topic covering them on RMWeb, doesn't really have a web presence.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Does it need https though as it's not a site you order from or enter information such as passwords?

In these days of public wifi, it matters more than it used to. If you have HTTPS then you have encrypted data and rely on having the appropriate certificates to serve up your webpage. 

If you have plain HTTP and unencrypted text flowing through the system then it would be quite possible for someone to set up a dodgy wifi gateway (e.g. next to a coffee shop, in a hotel, etc. that spoofs expected network names so people would connect accidentally) that could look for plain HTTP traffic and insert malware into that traffic. While you might not have any sensitive data being transferred to or from an HTTP site that's purely a shop-window or informational site, you could be left with a payload that snoops on your more sensitive data later. 

I get this message on my Kindle Fire for https://sefinescale.co.uk

This site can’t provide a secure connection

www.sefinecast.co.uk uses an unsupported protocol.

It's bookmarked as just www.sefinescale.co.uk and used to connect just fine but now I get this:

Please replace this index.html file with your own site :)

Not on my i phone it doesn't I'm afraid, I've tried every suggestion on this thread with no joy its starting to look like I'll have to go through life without S E Finecast in it!

Edited by Londontram

1 hour ago, 21C1 said:

The URL that works on my machine is http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Contents.htm try that one.

No, not on my pc either:-

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

www.sefinecast.co.uk
Wed May 15 18:05:56 2019
Apache

• RMweb Premium

As a big fan of SEFinecast (and Branchlines) this thread caused me much concern. I have had no problems with the website at all. I know that Dave was away on a well deserved holiday a week or two back but I will give him a call tomorrow and report back. 

Last SEFinecast job was:

1133777488_IMG_4792(2).JPG.162cebe558972952e8bad07a36b4c54c.JPG

Used Finecast body and chassis kit so we can't loose this supplier!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/05/2019 at 08:49, john new said:

And from my Apple tablet I-pad too.  However there can be glitches.

I just tried again out of curiosity. My Mac laptop has three browsers - 

Chrome - fails

Firefox - fails

Safari - opens the landing screen but also falls over when I try to go further.

Edited by john new

Still not having any problems and even tried the awful work laptop this morning.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/

And to prove I'm not pulling your legs here's some text from the website.

The Finecast range of white metal kits fall into five groups. The first to appear in 1958 were the locomotive kits, which have been gradually added to over the last three decades. They were joined by a range of 1(24 scale model car kits called AUTO KITS. A new range of highly detailed 1/24 scale car kits were introduced together with a small range of 1/43 scale car kits. The final group are the 1/32 scale gauge 1 Steam Traction engine range.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I said that I would call Dave at SEFinecast and I can happily report that all is well. Whatever problem you have been having connecting to the website is an IT issue somewhere in the system. As mentioned earlier, I have had no problem getting on to the website with Google/Windows 10 etc. 

Dave tells me that they are very busy so that's good news because I believe that our hobby needs such small scale suppliers to thrive. I have only ever found SEFinecast to be very helpful.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a feeling that the screen showing closed is not Google itself but some kind of commercial directory which Google has found. And sometimes with those directory entries whether the business is shown as open or closed depends on the time of day. But it looks as though the reason for the "closed" sign is that it is not regarded by the search engine as a business address.

But then I may be talking rubbish!

There have been recent problems with Firefox. Ours wouldn't work at all after the last but one Windows 8 update but the latest update has fixed that.

Jonathan

At the end of the day the fact so many people seem to be having problems means one can't turn round and suggest it might be ones browser or settings.

I have no issues with any other site so we must ask is it this site or is it every one else's server.

I think I know where the answer lays.

• Agree 1

There is something weird going on.  My Kindle Fire and pc with Win 8 used to access it just fine but not now with no system changes.  My iPad also will not access it but my iPhone will!.......

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are you just after contact details? Try UK Model Shops as an alternative if you can't get on a website, but here they are.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40084-SouthEasternFinecast

South Eastern Finecast, Glenn House, Hartfield Road, FOREST ROW, East Sussex, RH18 5DZ, England

Telephone + 44 (0) 1342 824711            Fax + 44 (0) 1342 822270

E-mail  Info@sefinecast.co.uk (Please include phone number and postal address for a prompt reply)

Jason

• Thanks 1

Just tried the S E Finecast site and low and behold it came straight back up as if there's never been a problem, I've made no changes to my settings of any sort so can only assume they've  reset it at there end but as I say all's well etc.

Edited by Londontram
Spelling correction
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1