Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Alan Blackburn

roythebus

News just received from Facebook railway staff groups that Alan Blackburn passed away this week at the age of 82.

Alan was a member of The Model Railway Club in London and was one of the club librarians. He helped build the P4 layout of Bembridge that is now with the Isle of Wight Steam Railway museum collection. He was a professional railwayman, working latterly in the signalling engineers department at Croydon. His military career saw him at Longmoor Military Railway as a fireman. He was also a member of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway and was instrumental in helping obtain the Light Railway Order. He served as a board member of the IWSR for a while and was a committee member of the Model Railway Club over the years.

From the Old Southeronians Association today:

Sadly I have to report the death of LW member, Alan Blackburn. He passed away last week, in Woking Hospice, at the age of 82, having been ill for some time.
Alan was formerly employed by the Regional Civil Engineer's Office at Croydon, and was involved in the programme of stone trains from Meldon Quarry.
He originally was a member of the Croydon and East Surrey branch of OSA and transferred to LW in 1995.
His funeral will be a private family affair. However a celebration of his life will be held at Woking Railway Athletic Club on Wednesday 29th May from 1500hrs where all will be welcome.
Neville Hodges
LW Branch Secretary

Edited by roythebus
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 6 months later...

Alan gave me much-valued direction when I produced a set of drawings for the pre-grouping S&C work of the LSWR. I have to presume the published information, and the associated SWC drawings were correct, as no-one has sought to challenge them. I believe they are still available from the Circle.

PB