Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Engineering Prototypes/Livery Samples - What is their fate?

• RMweb Premium

Just curious really. When a new model is produced, we see lots of prototypes and eventually livery samples. What happens to them when they are finished with, i.e. the model goes into production or gets cancelled? Are they binned, or do they end up in a drawer somewhere never to see the light of day again? 

I'm guessing they are not sold or passed on to other parties as, being prototypes, they won't have the quality finish or mechanism (where fitted) that the production models have.

• Moderators

I've bought a few Kernow ones too, working EP samples and non-functional deco samples. A couple of others in the collection too. If you ever got hold of an EP sample of something that never made it to production there would be interested collectors.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil. That is interesting, and also good to see at least some live on. Many of these are excellent models (after all, they are essentially the same quality as the production models) , and with the hand-painted livery samples, the product of much skill and hard work in their own right.

• RMweb Gold

I have Kernow O2 and 0298 static models in a glass cabinet with other rolling stock, having paid about 30 quid each for them. I have two of each working on the layout, too. I recall EPs of the gate-stock being snapped up at an RMweb Taunton day, by those with the talent to paint them. Of course Kernow is a more accessible commissioner than some of the larger manufacturers, but other such firms may be equally realistic about letting such prototypes go. 

• Like 1