Mystery loco - can anyone identify?

Can anyone help? Purchased a dinky little diesel off eBay at a silly low price. No name anywhere on the body or chassis. Looks like a continental hook at one end, old Hornby Dublo coupling at can end (removed as it fouls points).

There is an engine number "D2705" mounded into the cab side (which suggests it was produced for the UK market). The drive to the wheels is similar to a Jouef loco I've seen on eBay, which is why I suspect it is HO rather than OO.

Photos (sorry, iPad) show side view, front view, underside and motor/mechanism, plus a comparison with a Bachmann 04 and a standard van.

Having cleaned the wheels and oiled it thoroughly, it can zip around like an angry wasp, running slower it doesn't need a sound chip as it has an authentic diesel growl, but struggles with a 40g wagon on anything but straight track! Suggestions to improve performance welcome!

Purchased because it looked small and industrial and I fancied having a go at "pugbashing" (you know what I mean!)

Steve

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

It's one of the Playcraft range, marketed by Mettoy (Corgi etc) and manufactured by Jouef. They had a small range of 'British' models, mainly sold via Woolworth's;  another loco  was the NBL Type 2 diesel-electric. There were also coaches and wagons, to HO 'scale'; some based on UK prototypes, others simply re-badged versions of items in the Jouef range.

• Thanks 1

Wow - ask and ye shall be answered! Thank you for the information.

Suspected it was HO because it is not tall enough!  Now the interesting bit of turning it into something useful/interesting! Any tips or hints gratefully received!

Thanks again

Steve

Edited by SteveyDee68
Spell check altered meaning of my sentence!

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Thanks Jason - reading through this thread gave me the history of this model, the actual original loco upon which it was based and correct 4mm scale dimensions! Building a replacement chassis is slightly outside my skills set at the moment, but perhaps a brass overlay to the footplate and buffer beams might add some much needed weight. 

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I got one of those, in a bit of a state now. Mine was five pence in a jumble sale circa 1985 and had a clockwork mechanism. 

I subsequently did it up with a Hornby 0-4-0 chassis shoved underneath.

20190515_225637.jpg

20190515_225647.jpg

20190515_225657.jpg

20190515_225708.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Wow! That looks great, John. Was it a straight swap for the Hornby chassis, or was there lots of metal work involved? I am guessing so because it  looks better (IMHO) than the 06 (?) that Hornby does with their 0-4-0 chassis. Great inspiration, thanks.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

If I recall correctly (this was about twenty years ago!) the clockwork mechanism eventually gave up and so I heavily hacked up a Hornby Class 06 chassis to fit but with the motor secured to the chassis with sellotape!

The body had the keyhole filled, the moulded cabside numbers filed flat then the repaint you see above complete with etched NB plates!

The motor and it's ad-hoc attachment arrangements have since fallen apart so it is an unpowered display model now.

John, thanks for the details. Took it along to Jim at The Locoshed in Whitefield to give it a good run on his test track and Paul who works there immediately identified it! Discovered the pickups were wired up to the motor back to front, so Jim kindly soldered then on the right way around so it now runs where you point the controller!

Having cleaned the wheels and pickups, I was pleased to find it could handle three Lima bogie tankers around a No 2 radius curve at a sensible speed, and also a (heavy die cast) Wrenn Presflo wagon and three TTA tankers. The more it runs, the better it seems to perform. So definitely going to have a go at “improving” it like yourself (maybe even with a “Polly” chassis!).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/05/2019 at 08:28, John M Upton said:

If I recall correctly (this was about twenty years ago!) the clockwork mechanism eventually gave up and so I heavily hacked up a Hornby Class 06 chassis to fit but with the motor secured to the chassis with sellotape!

John - I have acquired a Hornby 06 for its chassis. Did you use the wheels and wheelbase as supplied, or did you shorten the spacing between axles and/or change the wheels?

Steve

Its a nice little toy but with only about 4:1 gear ratio and one axle drive it is never going to run very well.  At least it has decent pickups.  I had one years ago and it was great fun, hardly a serious model though.  I suppose you could fit spur gears between the axles and a reduction gear between the motor and the drive pinion which would probably make a nice power unit as it is spur gear driven not worm, and yet it is an awful lot of work.

The Triang chassis is not a great fit either.  DCC and a speaker sounds like the best solution.