Wire in tube point and signal control

I'm thinking of using a wire in tube point and signal control with the furthest signal about 4ft from the lever frame and a little less for the furthest point and was wondering what sorces of wire and tube people have used.

I have a contact in the motor trade and can get rolls of 3/16 copper brake pipe at an advantagus price qnd wondered if this could be a suitable guide tube. But was also wondering if any one has an idea for a suitable core operating wire or even a suggestion for an alternative tube.

Thanks Steve

• RMweb Gold

I use slide DPDT switches to change the blades and the frog polarity. I've not used the cranks, preferring to route the tube with big enough curves.

I also tried cheaper tube - very much a false economy. One tip, try to round off the ends of the cut wire before threading, saves it catching on the inside of the tube.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

A good many years ago now, I rigged up a wire in tube point control system using piano wire running in net curtain wire.  It was pretty cheap but it worked, so long as the net curtain wire was securely clamped to the baseboard next to the point lever and the baseboard edge plunger I used to move the wire.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to say I glue down the point-end of the tube, but use choc-blocs to hold the switch end. This allows for minute adjustments of the tube to improve accuracy.

• Informative/Useful 4

Have you thought about using bicycle gear cable or car choke cable? 

The former is is smaller in section, the latter comes in ridiculously long lengths. Enough friction in the cable and outer to aid operation and being flexible easier to route than wire in tube.

Edited by Bristol_Rich
  • Informative/Useful 4