BRM June 2019

Howard Smith

• Moderators

Hello RMwebbers, welcome to the June 2019 issue of BRM which is on-sale now from pocketmags.com and available in stores from May 23.

2 BONUS MAGAZINES - Traction May/June 2019 and Engineering in Miniature May 2019
20 EXTRA IMAGES
BRM TV + 65 MINUTES OF EXTRA VIDEO CONTENT

LAYOUTS
Deadmans Lane (OO) - A slice of Derby's Rail Technical Centre is the subject for Mick Bryan's model, set in the present day.

Feature_8.jpg.66404a9fcfd2255eb4b1c473651ed948.jpg

Bridge at Remagen (N) - This German river crossing became a turning point during WWII. We examine Al Turner's version.

Bridge.jpg.94d8e3f21773e5574c959b3828667382.jpg

Amiens (OO9) - Callum Wilcox's compact layout captures a key point during the hostilities of WWI.

Feature_6.jpg.859aa80b3be5852f97f1249236c51072.jpg

PRACTICAL
How to build a gantry crane - a step-by-step guide to enhancing this plastic kit from Kibri.

One_-_LEAD.jpg.60db403d0ea7c1971c3c5fedcd733496.jpg

Add variety to your N gauge wagon fleet, using pre-assembled chassis for reliable running.

Ballast_loads.jpg.6c0caa49690e3ea9c112d1da4961dd61.jpg

How to setup software for locomotives. Remembering function buttons and their associated sounds can be difficult, here's a solution.

Billy Bookcase layouts. Model architecture can be sought from a variety of sources, but how can it be harmonised to blend? Phil Parker explains.

Photo23.jpg.158a857f15fea61d283dde77e9a01183.jpg

FEATURES
The railway's role in D-Day and how it has inspired us to build models. Andy York looks at our favourites.

RowlandsCastle.jpg.e858c95f9c9219564407a2d43467f513.jpg

Layouts for RTR models Part Two: How a model of Falmouth Dockyard is ideal for Hornby's 0-4-0 'Sentinel' or 0-4-0ST 'Peckett'. Trackplan and illustration inside!

Pic_5_fal_no_3.jpg.417245ef8d8f0f782ce6d67ddf81d7b2.jpg

BRM meets: Slater's Plastikard. Howard Smith meets with David White, Director of this manufacturing backbone in the hobby.

wheel_2.jpg.bb73eab8dda25f76d38b122cc3d7ab76.jpg

Tail Lamp: Is a new generation of modellers set to ensure the continued success of shows? Tony Wright voices his opinion.

PRODUCTS AND REVIEWS

Review: Hornby 'Lord Nelson' 4-6-0

for_upload.jpg.7c7fc15ff3ea333ffe2467d027feed87.jpg

Review: Minerva Manning Wardle 0-6-0

Minerva_Manning_Wardle_0-6-0ST_01.jpg.6c45621537311eba0571f83f78b11736.jpg

Review: Accurascale PCA

5.jpg.07e4feba471a62ff5e7dafd6ff570b4d.jpg

Review: Graham Farish SE&CR Birdcage stock

4.jpg.b6d2a5b5c1d300045e58352858fb19dd.jpg

Review: Hornby GWR Collett Coaches

Hornby_GWR_Collett_Sub_coach_R4875_03.jpg.3da3fc68177d5765dad3bca55bfb8321.jpg

And more!

Get your copy now from pocketmags.com or in-store from May 23.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Howard Smith said:

Hello RMwebbers, welcome to the June 2019 issue of BRM which is on-sale now from pocketmags.com and available in stores from May 23.

Presumably also from Exact Editions at some point? :)

• Agree 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Mikkel said:

Presumably also from Exact Editions at some point? :)

I've already given the office a prod this morning. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

So, who has downloaded the issue yet? Let us know if you have a layout favourite inside... are you tempted to build a military-themed layout? If so, would it be based upon fact, or fiction?

H

• Moderators
On 17/05/2019 at 18:17, hmrspaul said:

Falmouth Dockyard had some unusual internal user wagons, including quite early North Eastern Rly ballast wagons! https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/falmouthdocks

Paul

Paul - I came across those shots when doing some research - it's given me an idea!

H

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Hi whens the print issue out, as the next issue page in the current mag dosnt have a date on it

This Thursday. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

And, in this episode of BRM TV...

DVDJacket.jpg.e1a6bcb5df590304666fd03bfa4fb3c7.jpg

small1.jpg.e54f68c7c0d9273826ae4f58d3847bfd.jpg

Build a weighbridge for your layout with this laser-cut kit from LCUT - we show how.

small2.jpg.49167c3de65f7fc3b54a4ece232d439d.jpg

Attention to detail on this WWI commemorative layout is impressive. Watch it in action.

Exclusive to BRM print and digital subscribers... don't miss out, subscribe today or join RMweb Gold with wider benefits.

• Like 1

Not wishing to sound pedantic could I just point out that in the article on Falmouth Dock, in several places the positioning of ships has been referred to as birthing.  Birthing is what midwives do for a living.  Moving ships into dock is berthing.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

I thought the article on Slaters and the associated interview with David White were excellent in that they were well written and informative yet left me wanting to know more. Reminiscent of the MRJ interviews of personalities in the modelling trade of some years ago.

Edited by Arun Sharma
addnl info
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see Amiens popping up. It really is a nice layout and the article really does do it justice.

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2019 at 15:45, kendo said:

Not wishing to sound pedantic could I just point out that in the article on Falmouth Dock, in several places the positioning of ships has been referred to as birthing.  Birthing is what midwives do for a living.  Moving ships into dock is berthing.

Surely moving a ship into a dock is docking whereas coming alongside is berthing?   In many respects the two tems are interchangeable but when a ship is moved into a dry dock thenfrom everything I have ever seen or heard that is referred to as docking (because the ship is being dry docked and is not being berthed).

• Like 1

On 25/05/2019 at 15:45, kendo said:

Not pedantic at all............

Thanks for pointing this out. My apologies for not intercepting this at the proofing stage (though I didn't see the finished pages).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Excellent issue this month.  Plenty of old favorites for D-Day celebrations plus a new one (Remagen) I’ve never seen before.  Particularly loved the picture at the bottom of page 52 - it just looked so neat and very realistic for N gauge  - remarkable.  The Kibri crane build was brilliant -  looks like a great model to have a go at.  What a shame about that D-Day diorama going missing at Hornby!  Those numpties that took over a few years ago - the ones that also threw out all those kit moulds - just didn’t have a clue about the hobby.  What a shame - just imagine how many kids were inspired by that layout down the years on a visit to Margate.

Month in and month out, BRM just keeps giving.  Well done the team. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2