Wagonologie

Nick Mitchell

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, 65179 said:

I think they'd all gone by your nominal time period, so you'll be modelling that little known instance of a D326, assumed long since withdrawn, being found in an oddly prominent siding at or near a former L&Y station, I presume?

I'm not sure that's completely right. According to Essery's Illustrated History of LMS Wagons Vol. 2, the LMS built some to the Midland diagram (with slightly different rivet patterns to the corner according to the one photo). They had a page in the LMS diagram book, and British Railways had a code for them. My interpretation of that is that some at least must have lasted until 1950?

As for is appearing in a siding near a former L&Y station - it'll look great being shunted there by my Princess...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Nick Mitchell said:

I'm not sure that's completely right. According to Essery's Illustrated History of LMS Wagons Vol. 2, the LMS built some to the Midland diagram (with slightly different rivet patterns to the corner according to the one photo). They had a page in the LMS diagram book, and British Railways had a code for them. My interpretation of that is that some at least must have lasted until 1950?

As for is appearing in a siding near a former L&Y station - it'll look great being shunted there by my Princess...

Better get changing those rivets to do the LMS variant then!  Good to hear you have an excuse though - I don't have LMS Wagons Vol 2, only the Midland volume so I stand corrected.

Simon

3 hours ago, 65179 said:

Did these types of wagons spend more time out of use than in traffic, and did they have 'return to' instructions?

The majority of the Caledonian's special wagons (well wagons, heavy weight wagons, etc.) were branded 'St Rollox when empty'.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

Just to say thanks for posting your various bits and pieces on this thread, as one who is a member of the 2FS Society, but hasn't yet plucked up the courage to try soldering a brass wagon or loco (as much as I want to do) your work is inspirational.  I have watched your Jubilee videos about 10 times now, and read this thread end-to-end at least three!  I am determined this summer to have a go at something small.  If I can achieve a 10th of the quality of you've reach I would be delighted!  The essence of this is basically to say, thanks for the various pictures and the step-by-step, they really do help, and please carry on with it.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 8 months later...