Missed the boat

TTDB

Hi missed the boat through working away and looking for a OO 68 TPE non sound looked in vain on web no luck anyone help please?

TPE have been testing them through my local station couple of times last week.

thanks 

422EC4FB-99F5-4AF8-B91F-B6C443C91AF3.jpeg

• Like 2

Might be worth a telephone call to Kernow’s Camborne shop, I had the last TPE liveried one out of the cabinet at their Guildford branch less than 2 weeks ago. If I spot any on my travels I will post here.

Olivia's price is above RRP I think, I am sure Dapol will do another TPE Livery in the next OO batch, whenever that is.

Edited by AshleyH
Typo

I emailed Dapol last week and asked but no reply I’ve pre ordered a set of NOVA mkV now as well  agree pity above the retail price,, that’s life plenty  of DRS etc on eBay just no TPE we had Splendid as per photo last Sunday and Brutus pass through Marsden Monday , I actually model modern German TT 1/120 but can’t miss these.

1 hour ago, AshleyH said:

Might be worth a telephone call to Kernow’s Camborne shop, I had the last TPE liveried one out of the cabinet at their Guildford branch less than 2 weeks ago. If I spot any on my travels I will post here.

Olivia's price is above RRP I think, I am sure Dapol will do another TPE Livery in the next OO batch, whenever that is.

If it's not unreasonable to ask, why does this shop seem to have such high prices?

I can see that they offer a great range of additional options and therefore can command a good price for some of the more obscure and fiddly additions, but on the basic model, why? I've bought models from a wide variety of shops, both on-line and local high-street (in my attempt to help local a little, even though it probably costs more than web purchases) but Olivia's always seem to be just that little bit too high, yet they survive.

Just curious if I'm missing something on the basic price RRP.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

If it's not unreasonable to ask, why does this shop seem to have such high prices?

It's their business model with repaints, obscure items (class 13 for example) and DCC sound. 

If you are looking for an item that has since been no longer available, they could still have one - at a price.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I missed out as well. If it's that popular then I can see them doing another batch.

Not my era, but I've seen it a few times now and was very impressed.

Jason

Depends on the economics of it...

how many Transpenines can they sell (have they already made 1 less than they can sell, or 100 or 1000 ? Given prices are “relatively” low (compared to examples like SECR C class, class 52 D1000, Sealed Beam 45 etc) then maybe demand isnt “that” great...

Then theres the tooling run.. theres plenty of other 68’s still about, if making a TP68 is a one off on its own.. that may put cost up.

Finally those all important production slots, and with 52’s and 29’s to come there might not be space for a complex paint job..

it might be a while yet.

Edited by adb968008

23 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Depends on the economics of it...

how many Transpenines can they sell (have they already made 1 less than they can sell, or 100 or 1000 ? Given prices are “relatively” low (compared to examples like SECR C class, class 52 D1000, Sealed Beam 45 etc) then maybe demand isnt “that” great...

Then theres the tooling run.. theres plenty of other 68’s still about, if making a TP68 is a one off on its own.. that may put cost up.

Finally those all important production slots, and with 52’s and 29’s to come there might not be space for a complex paint job..

it might be a while yet.

Yes. But most of them were gone before the locos were even running about and well before anyone considered matching coaching stock.

That Brutus thing already seems a bit of a celebrity. Loads of trainspotters were waiting for it the other week at Liverpool Lime Street. I was going the match and was wondering what they were waiting for. I was expecting a railtour of some description, wasn't really expecting crowds for a Class 68.

So I think there is plenty of mileage in TPE Class 68s yet.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

68’s are the long awaited reincarnation of the Deltics...

loud droning noise !

They certainly have character, I had the Fife Circle pair a while ago and was very impressed. I also watch them leave London Marylebone quite often and again, equally impressive.

Roy

Picked it up today from Sheffield and came out with a Northern 150 as well then a family meal phew the wallets sweating lol, over the RRP but very few about and I believe one was on eBay last week for £200!

• RMweb Gold

With the loyalty card you would have got an extra £5 off your next purchase too

had I seen this thread sooner I could have picked you one up and arranged to send it to you but the title was a bit vague! 

Ill

see what stock they have in the morning and report back incase anyone else is after one 

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Gold
On 18/05/2019 at 15:04, Roy Langridge said:

They certainly have character, I had the Fife Circle pair a while ago and was very impressed. I also watch them leave London Marylebone quite often and again, equally impressive.

Roy

not so impressive if your sitting in the 2nd mans seat, a late addition bolted to the rear cab bulkhead, a long shift on one is back breaking!

they drew a fair bit of attention when we took a pair to saltburn for the first time

68022 at the seaside

68022 in Darlington station

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been hunting down this model as well!!

Everyone seems to be out of stock or if indicating stock, are doing so at full price.

Is that it - production run completed - no more being produced?

Will there be any more Dapol Class 68's perhaps under another name in the TPE livery does anyone know?

Al.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Everyone seems to be out of stock or if indicating stock, are doing so at full price.

Will there be any more Dapol Class 68's perhaps under another name in the TPE livery does anyone know?

Al.

Dapol have a history of rerunning liveries, especially popular ones, so I would be very surprised if we didn't see more TPE 68s.

Have you asked on their digest?

Roy

Hi Roy,

Haven't got that far, but they certainly did that with the DRS ones, even after they 'corrected' them.

Thanks for the heads up.

They got back to me with a 'maybe' ... no details.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

• RMweb Gold
On 11/06/2019 at 13:54, atom3624 said:

Al.

So you only want one if it’s discounted ?

They aren’t that rare, ebay shows s/h around £120. I bought a second one myself a few weeks back for £100, missing a buffer, which cost me £2 to get a spare.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1