Hornby Autocoach

This is an old Airfix version that I brought years ago, so very basic, that has been updated with the Dart Castings detailing kit, Shawplan flush glazing, interior make over and passengers.

Some of the detailing in the buffer area was not fitted at the loco end in order to accommodate the S&W coupling loop and swing of the bogie.

1406.jpg.e0fb5c01a7498bfa40a50e18e06e4873.jpg

I did not bother with the glazing to the toplights..

All in all it scrubbed up well.

The one problem I do have with this model is static as the glazing as it seems to attract all the bits of fluff, dust etc, it seems to act life a magnet to the stuff!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

They 'scrubs up tidy like, innit', as we say in Wales, but as well as the Dart Castings kit the bogies can be improved with current Hornby ones (these are not fitted to the coach but reserved for the Hawksworth stock) and Comet can sell you better ventilators.  I am going to be enquiring about cast buffers and shanks from them over the next few days, so keep an eye on my 'W 207 W' topic in kits and scratches; they'll be an improvement on the Airfix/Dapol ones and better than the current Hornby version, which at least has metal buffer heads.

Worth painting the interior and putting no smoking transfers on as well.  Brassmasters do an etch for luggage compartment window bars.  Drivers are a moot point, as they would only be in the cab for half of the duty anyway.  I have them in my auto trailers as they cab end is leading for most of the time they are on the scenic part of the layout, but one of my auto locos has a driver and fireman on the footplate, so the driver in the trailer cab is riding home or to book on duty.  If anyone asks, and nobody has yet...

This is not a dead scale model of either an A28 or A30 trailer, but a sort of hybrid between the two.  Despite this, it is a good enough for most of us and repays a bit of working up very well indeed.  If yours is old enough to have plastic wheels, you can replace them with current Hornby metal ones as a straight swap.

I refer readers to Hornby Magazine for December 2017, in which Tim Shackleton did a master class on how to make examples of both the A28 and the A30 from the venerable Airfix/Hornby model.  At the risk of being provocative, a hybrid should NOT be "good enough for most of us".

Chris

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

If anyone follows my layout on 'South Wales Valleys in the 1950s' on Layout Topics, you'll already know that i succumbed to the temptation to knock up an ersatz Collett Bowender from the remnants of the Airfix B set.  It 'represents', loosely, a C63 all third and has been numbered accordingly as W 5684 W; it passes for a C63 at a cursory glance but closer inspection immediately shows the spacing of the erstwhile first class compartment and gives the game away.  I've painted it in 1956 maroon as the darkest possible livery to try and hide this as much as possible...

The 10% clause to Rule 1 is invoked as justification.

10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The 10% clause to Rule 1 is invoked as justification.

Pray tell, sir, the wording of this clause so that others may invoke it when necessary.

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2019 at 20:44, The Johnster said:

If anyone follows my layout on 'South Wales Valleys in the 1950s' on Layout Topics, you'll already know that i succumbed to the temptation to knock up an ersatz Collett Bowender from the remnants of the Airfix B set.  It 'represents', loosely, a C63 all third and has been numbered accordingly as W 5684 W; it passes for a C63 at a cursory glance but closer inspection immediately shows the spacing of the erstwhile first class compartment and gives the game away.  I've painted it in 1956 maroon as the darkest possible livery to try and hide this as much as possible...

The 10% clause to Rule 1 is invoked as justification, again.

Rule 1, subsection 42 (the answer to the great question, you know, life, the universe, and everything)m clause 10 (per cent):

'A layout based on a location in a specific area whose locomotives and rolling stock were allocated to a specific depot or depots at a specific period, but which did not actually exist, or which is held to have existed at an existing geographical location but which did not exist as a railway, shall, at the layout owner's discretion, feature locomotives and rolling stock which was never actually allocated to that or those specific depot or depots in order for that or those specific depot or depots to carry out the work, over and above such locomotives and stock as were actually allocated to that specific depot or depots, to the extent of 10% over and above such locomotives and stock as were actually allocated to that specific depot or depots.

This shall, at the layout owner's discretion, include locomotives and/or stock that were never in reality allocated  to that or those specific depot or depots.  In any case of doubt, refer to Rule 1 Section 1 Clause 1 Paragraph 1'.

Basically, a branch line in South Wales that never existed that uses locos and passenger stock from Tondu would have required 10% more locos and stock than was actually allocated to Tondu for Tondu to do the work.  These are, on my layout, mostly loco hauled coaches including an E116 B set brake compo that I have no evidence whatever ever ran singly anywhere, never mind in South Wales never mind in the 'Tondu valleys', but the principle could easily be extended to locomotives especially as I have part finished Rebuilt TVR A class and Rhymney R in the 'round tuit' box.  The limiting factor is what I feel comfortable with, the extend to which I can suspend credibility.  

Tondu was responsible for providing locos and passenger stock for 5 branches in the early 50s, with around 50 locos for it's branch, main line, goods, and mineral work.  A 6th branch (mine) would have required extra locos and stock to be allocated to cover the extra duties; I reckon about 5 extra locos.  That's about 10%, hence the '10% rule'.  It might, in your case, be a 20 or even a 50% rule...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

51 minutes ago, stock_2007 said:

I've been able to pick up a Dart casting detailing pack (when it comes) but I'm having a problem with the Shawplan glazing I'm not sure if you can order from their web page, but saying that I could be reading it wrong!

The website isn't a shopping website so you can't put things into a basket. You have to get in touch with him. I believe he prefers snail mail or telephone calls.

http://www.shawplan.com/spinfo.htm

I've only ever dealt with them at shows.

The page you are looking for is this one for the glazing.

http://www.shawplan.com/extreme_coachandunit_Laserglaze_4mm.html

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Informative/Useful 1