Cancelled due to vandalism- Stamford show 18th May

Trains4U

Deeply shocked and saddened to hear about this. Not sure that there's anything that I - or Model Rail - can do to assist, but if there is, please let me know and I'll try to help. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Terrible news.  I can't begin to imagine how the layout owners must be feeling right now but it must be a bad place.

Since the vandals won't be able to fix things, I can only suggest that when the initial shock and pain subsides, get up, dust yourself down and start planning  the next layout. Hopefully with some financial help from insurance it will soon start to take shape.

Easy for me to say I know, but it's better to spend the future on rebuilding rather than dwelling in bitterness on the terrible actions of those little £¥@%##$

My sympathies.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the pictures in the link is shocking. I was expecting a few bits up tipped and the odd table knocked over as if a disturbed burglary but this is far far worse.

It looks like a comprehensive smashing up which is even more shocking. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Can’t believe it, my worst nightmare with exhibiting.  

Even worse given that short of bringing all your stock back to the hotel with you, there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it (other than making sure your insurance estimates are accurate) & keeping good records of your stock.   

(Which reminds me one of my jobs for this evening is to take a photo inventory of my loco stock.)

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Awful to see the damage in the photos linked to above

I really hope no one loses out financially. Perhaps a Just Giving type appeal could be started if it becomes apparent people will lose out? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

This is certainly a bit of a 'wake up' incident for show organisers. Out of adversity may come some good about security or similar being considered in what might be more vulnerable venues?

My thoughts are with everyone involved in the loss of treasured stock and all those years of work.

Sincerely,

Phil @ 36E

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Insurance may well provide financial recompense, but that’s not the full story.  Exhibitions are often the year’s big fundraiser for clubs, so a last minute cancellation will be additionally tough on them.

The emotional impact on people who have put so much time and effort into the exhibition itself, the exhibitors model railways and businesses, will be very difficult for some to recover from.  Then there’s the emotional cost.

I for one would be interested to hear of any practical support that might be provided by the wider community for Market Deeping Club and impacted exhibitors.  It’s a long way from Cornwall but thats not an issue in situations like this.

Phil

:friends:

• Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

I can't imagine how everyone must be feeling, including the organisers and the venue, and of course all those who lost their in some cases life's work.  I hope all those involved are getting good, sympathetic support from those who are trying to resolve the situation and I agree, when the initial dust has settled it would be a great idea if we as a community came together to offer some sort of practical help and assistance to allow those affected to look to a new start as best they can.  Right now they must be in a devastating place and probably could do with some help in coming to terms with what has happened.

I also agree it would be a good idea to see if any immediate and swift lessons can be learnt from this for those organisers of exhibitions coming up in the near future located in smaller venues without permanent on site security.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8