Cancelled due to vandalism- Stamford show 18th May

Trains4U

• RMweb Gold

They may be just kids now but they will be earning/on benefits for years in the future so take money off them.

I too think this will put some people off leaving a layout overnight in an exhibition hall. Rolling stock will surely be kept safe with its owner and set out on the track just before the show from now on.

• Agree 7

https://www.mdmrc.org/stamford-show-2019.html

My eyes were welling up looking at the photos on the Market Deeping club's website. I really cannot think how I'd feel if I were in the postion that the exhibitors at Stamford currently are. My thoughts are with those affected and the Market Deeping club.

With my own layout currently attending a show this weekend I decided to bring my stock home with me tonight for peice of mind after hearing about this awful event.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

30 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

If that space is used as an examination hall, then the kids whose exams are disrupted because of the unavailability of the room are additional victims of this appalling bit of destruction.

If the culprits are 15, shouldn't they be doing GCSE's right now too?  I was at 15...

• Agree 2

Just read this and I Cant say how angry that makes me feel, so much love and pricless hard work ruined. Why would anybody do this! My deepest symapthies to all affected, wish there's  something I could say that would make anyone feel better. 

Steve.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The only practical help I could offer would be to chuck a tenner in a pot so if Andy could start some kind of fund maybe via PayPal or something with a link we could help out the clubs finances and other costs accrued due to this event.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I have ticked John's post with friendly and supportive and that seems so bl00dy inadequate.

I fear the impacts of this will be long and painful for many.

I cannot imagine how an insurance company is going to value a scratch built item to  estimate its real worth.  Unfortunately I have experience of how commercial insurance companies do value items - £20 brass sheet, £100 wheels (are you sure they cannot be reused); £20 motor etc..  How to rub salt into a very open wound.  

As suggested elsewhere we can expect premiums for exhibitions in general to go up - and that means higher entry prices or poorer exhibitions.  

My thoughts go out to all those impacted by this dreadful event.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I simply do not understand how anyone can get pleasure from doing this sort of thing. It's like when people run keys down expensive cars, or throw fireworks though letter boxes. If that really is your idea of a 'good time' then I feel sorry for you, but not as sorry as I feel for the people who have spent years creating something of beauty of to have it destroyed by ugliness.,

Edited by Vistisen
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, guzzler17 said:

Could the CMRA, Market Deeping MRC is a member, organise a show or two where all the proceeds go to the affected parties?

If there is something near to me I'd bundle a layout in the car and waive any expenses.

Me too - 'Where Seagulls Dare' isn't very big but I would be happy to help provided the venue was accessible by public transport.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

They may be just kids now but they will be earning/on benefits for years in the future so take money off them.

I too think this will put some people off leaving a layout overnight in an exhibition hall. Rolling stock will surely be kept safe with its owner and set out on the track just before the show from now on.

That could be difficult for the larger layouts and scales.  I've operated a couple of layouts where it can take an hour or more to get the trains properly set up.

There's going to be much to learn from this dreadful incident, not least of which is ensuring we have accurate values listed for our stock should the worst happen.  We take it for granted that accidental damage and theft is covered on exhibition insurance.  In this case it's something which I can't recall happening before - large scale deliberate damage.  It takes something like this to vividly remind us how much trust we put into our fellow exhibitors and hosting clubs.

I don't mean to imply that Market Deeping MRC were neglectful, far from it. I expect they are mortified but how could anyone predict this?

Mark

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Agree 11

3 hours ago, John K said:

We have cleared up the remains of our layout and of the stock.

I have personally lost most of 20 years of wagon building, several  O gauge engines and some coaches that were hand built by me - All completely irreplaceable.

We have lost a club layout that featured in books and magazines, and that took us 10 years to build.

They can have the money, but we will never get the 1000s of hours back.

John

John this Wednesday should we bring extra tools and try to salvage some stuff? I'll happily sit and try rebuilding items of stock

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Replacing layouts and kit/scratchbuilt stock within  a reasonable timeframe means resorting to professional builders, so we're probably looking at something well into six figures given the number of layouts/stands affected.

It's about time the insurance companies were given the power to recover the full cost of claims from the perpetrators.

And, yes. Even if it means bleeding the worthless gits dry for the rest of their lives.

John

That is a very good idea, but it will not happen.

My heart gose out to everyone who have rolling stock and trade stock damaged.

I am lost for words at the situation of all concered.

Terry.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I was shocked to read of this incident this afternoon. i don't think this sort of thing has ever happened before at a model railway exhibition. I've been involved in running exhibitions with The Model Railway club since the mid 1960s so know what's involved. Our New Annington layout was shown in some "dodgy" places in London, once in Southall and the other in a council run place on the Old Kent Road.

I was rather concerned at the Southall event as it was not secure at all. But nothing was touched overnight. Maybe people are also more aware of what might happen in the big cities. somewhere like Market Deeping, whatever happens there? Nothing. sure there's been bits nicked from shows I've been involved with, one of the more memorable was a Metropolitan Railway 4-4-4T loco in S gauge. That disappeared from Covent Garden under the eyes of the layout operators. But what good is an S gauge loco to anyone? I don't think that has ever been found.

There's been comments on here about making the perpetrators "pay"; the chances are they can't if they're only 15, and there's a better chance their parents (if known) can't pay either. There is little punishment that can be humanely meted out to such mindless idiots (for want of stronger words).

My thoughts go out to the people at Market Deeping who have suffered loss and damage. Luckily no people were hurt in this incident.

Edited by roythebus
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

All the talk of crime scene.  One exhibitor has already said that his clubs ruined layout and his own destroyed models have already been cleared away.  I presume he was not a one off.

Does insurance not also cover cancellation of show etc?  If so surely any monies collected by fundraising would be better given to owners who may never recoup every penny of their sizeable losses.

As for seeking FULL recompense from the arrested miscreants surely this would only lead to burglaries, shop lifting etc to raise monies that they would need. An awful lot of PlayStations would have to be stolen to get the value of an O scale loco.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

We'll be having discussions on Monday. At very least I'd like to organise an RMweb whip round in some form.

Besides financial contributions, I'm sure a lot of us have surplus bits and pieces that could provide either materials for modelling or sale to raise funds. My personal "Kit and Donor Stash" seems to have grown at a rate in excess of my available building time and contains some things from long-forgotten project ideas so a few items from there wouldn't be missed (and Mrs SE would be pleased to see some areas of the house freed from my clutter.)

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

How about this for an idea;

I would gladly use my skills to assist in the replacement of any item that has been lost or damaged and donate it to anyone that would wish to take me up upon that offer.

If this idea takes off then I'm available. I have 3D modelling experience (not so much actual physical modelling skill).

Cheers

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its just a thing dumb kids do .I watched my late  friend demolish a phone box  in seconds when we were at the local grammar  school .All because he couldnt get through to his MUM .He ended up a policeman   .Another fine upstanding lad  I went to school with used to break in anywhere he could .He stole food ,guns ,ammo ,anything ..he was our favorite source for  stolen 22 ammo .He later became a teacher  who dabbled in model railways.His father would have died on the spot if he had known .Our villages known drug dealer to the local  kids was the son of an officer in  the drug squad ..if his parents had bothered to look out of their upstairs window they could have seen him in action .

Its very sad  to see our models defiled stolen etc but kids are dying for less.

Edited by friscopete
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

After reading all this I am deeply appalled by what has happened and I can only sympathy at the moment.

As an ex exhibition manager, burglary and vandalism was always at the back of my mind along with the usual problems.

Nothing will ever replace the hard work put into building the layouts and rolling stock.

I as a modeller will help in any way I possibly can.

Also this brings me to the next time we take our layout to a show, this is next month. Will we have to take all the stock back to the digs and set up again the following day, if so it will be a mammoth task.

Once again I pass on my deepest sympathy to all involved.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Having read your suggestions about nightwatchmen.  Somebody sleeping in the parking lot of the exhibition place with a mobile phone connected to a sensor/s positioned in the hall would maybe suffice.  I guess exhibitors might have campervans/mobile homes.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Security depends on what has happened before and the area - for example I would suggest that there is a far higher chance of vandals / burglars / arsonists trying to gain access in Urban London compared to a small Market town. As such its unreasonable to expect this school to be set up like Fort Knox.

Press reporting suggest the building had some form of alarm and also that the caretaker took prompt action having been disturbed by it.

Small market towns are not immune from such problems.Nowhere is.

Such a sad day for us all.

• Agree 4