Cancelled due to vandalism- Stamford show 18th May

Trains4U

4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I have also seen other independent initiatives. I would recommend using the previously given link in the knowledge that money is going direct to the club/organisers.

I's support Andy's suggestion - we've had an email from someone who whilst no doubt well intentioned seems to have nothing to do with the Market Deeping club asking for support. Best to ensure we all give directly.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Reached £26,572 as of 8.40pm.

Good to see people are being so generous. 

Over £29k now (9:25).

I don't think I can add any more to the comments above - I'm utterly horrified. As others have said, it's not about the money, but the thousands of hours of work that have gone into making the models, destroyed in a few seconds.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MJI said:

Naughtiest thing I did as a teenager?

I don't recall any details. It was a long time ago, but I certainly got under the influence of the scrumpy at the cider house in Holloway Head at the age of 16. 

It was a different world back then, at 17 I was working trackside on an area which included some 100mph electrified lines and at 18 helping to untangle the wreckage from a major train crash. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I have just had a chat with the Chairman of Market Deeping MRC, Peter Davies, to pass on our sympathies and desire to support them in some way. The tales of damage are so disheartening, small details that portray wilful destruction of layouts, exhibits, trade models and school property. Many pieces of work will never be replaced because of the time invested in creation and the potential impact will go far beyond the immediate issues into consequent costs at future points and is a measurable setback to the club, modellers and traders and insurance cannot always cover all of those losses. The costs of damage are very substantial but involvement with the insurers will start tomorrow and the club have a lot to get through. I relayed our collective support and Peter is in the throes of arranging a JustGiving page, which he will let us have details of, and I would ask that all support is channeled through that source for maximum benefit.

As a hobby we are a community, this could have happened to any club, anywhere at some time and we all feel a small part of their anger and frustration but hope that we can give some small message of support that we do care about them.

The official JustGiving page to raise their funds can be found here https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/market-deeping-mrc

Agree Andy! As York Show are planning something as I write this. Watch this space

• Like 2

I've sent them a donation from myself and I have shared the link on the Helensburgh and District model railway clubs Facebook page. 

On behalf of our club we are all thinking of everyone affected by this crime. And we hope you can get as much as possible sorted out as quick as possible. We know that a lot of things are unrepairible and nothing can make up for the man hours spent building the models. We wish you all the best for the future.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Only just heard about this via the BBC news. My sympathy to all affected and my hopes that such an event never happens again. Not sure what else to say, I am lost for words. 

Roy

Same here - heard this earlier today and it stunned me.  I'll be donating via. the JustGiving site tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Been thinking about my suggestion earlier regards funding security. Does it need to be a security firm, could something not be set up via someone like CMRA were members from other clubs say 3-4 people are paid expenses to actually sit in the hall overnight, lights on cars outside, not acting as doormen. Its a visible deterant. First sign of issue, ring 999 and do not attempt to apprehend. They would really be working a night shift at the show.

This would need to be checked for legalities at the venue etc.

Cheers

Simon

This has already been discussed. Amateur watchmen inside venues is no longer allowed, so it falls to the extra cost of professional security.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

On the matter of insurance I fully expect some of the victims will discover that they are under insured or that the insurance companies will pay out less than the items are worth. Perhaps its time to look at agreed value that is often used when insuring vintage and classic vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I don't recall any details. It was a long time ago, but I certainly got under the influence of the scrumpy at the cider house in Holloway Head at the age of 16. 

It was a different world back then, at 17 I was working trackside on an area which included some 100mph electrified lines and at 18 helping to untangle the wreckage from a major train crash. 

Agreed! I certainly had no time to cause mayhem as a teen- left school in the July aged 16 and was working 2 months later on the ECML 125mph on Sept 11th 1989.

Deepest condolences to all involved in the mayhem that was caused this weekend!!!!!!

• Like 1

• Tempfix

Been following this over the weekend, absolutely devastating. As an occasional exhibitor I have had those thoughts of 'what if...' My thoughts are with all those that have lost anything. Heartwarming to see the response on here though. What a fantastic community to be a part of.

Rich

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Well the Market Deeping MRC website appears to be down due to exceeded bandwidth.

Not entirely surprising, a small MRC in an out of the way small town in Lincolnshire wouldn't expect to be the focus of the world would it?  But it just shows the amount of support that seems to be coming their way from all over the world, and not just railway modellers either.  Likely that people are wanting to read more about the incident before making a donation - and the website is the obvious place to look despite it being featured in major news sites.

• Agree 1

• Moderators

It's all turned into quite a big story and I fully understand why as it's a very human story, increasing media interest means the team will be busy dealing with that interest today along with the necessary insurance and legal stuff. It's anticipated that there may be a piece on Channel 5's Jeremy Vine show (from 9.15) and ITV are in contact so it's likely the fund will increase further with wider reporting.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I saw original post here on Saturday morning, a minute after it appeared. Pondered what on earth to think or write. Did nothing. Returned minutes later and someone had written much what I felt, so I tried to add a bit. Hundreds more responses since of course, many on similar lines. 

I take some consolation in seeing the amount of money raised so far. Money cannot replace lost hand-made models, but people do care, and do want to help. I will guess the donors come from many walks of life too, not just the hobby.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I would be more than willing to donate some of my spare time to help with repairing some items of rolling stock once a clearer picture emerges of what could be salvaged.

Utterly heartbreaking to see so many years of hard work, research and skill destroyed by this pond life. I can’t start to imagine how I would feel to see the same thing happen to my models.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• Like 5