Cancelled due to vandalism- Stamford show 18th May

Trains4U

I have just been able to read through this thread thoroughly and am shocked by the amount of devastation on every single item within the hall, I would be in tears if this happened to anything I have built over the years, as everything I have is either kit or scratch built I really feel for and send out my sympathy to all those who have lost stock.

Very few people have ever seen my layout in person because I also fear that one day. that one idiot will decide it is fun to smash up my valued work for fun, many on here, like myself have had very limited time to model and take great pride in what we achieve in that time, it has far more than monetary value to us.

My thoughts are with all those who have suffered losses and I wish you all the best in trying to come to terms with it, something I admit would be very difficult for me to do.

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 4

It really goes to show just how good publicity can help in a tragic situation like this. 

Having just shoved my threepence into the fund, I noticed below a similar appeal for the restoration of a carriage on the KESR, which had been smashed up by vandals. Not the same level of tragedy and personal loss, I know, but they were trying to get £1,000, and managed just £25, (Appeal long closed). I did not know anything about it, or I would have given a few bob.

Anyway, really good to see the fantastic reaction to something which defies belief.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

It really goes to show just how good publicity can help in a tragic situation like this. 

However, it does concern me a little that one loco has been widely quoted in the media as being worth £8K (would an 0 Gauge loco professionally built and painted cost this much? - though I could imagine it might if scratchbuilt).  Such figures may only put the spotlight on the hobby to the wrong people, with unfortunate consequences.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It's all turned into quite a big story and I fully understand why as it's a very human story, increasing media interest means the team will be busy dealing with that interest today along with the necessary insurance and legal stuff. It's anticipated that there may be a piece on Channel 5's Jeremy Vine show (from 9.15) and ITV are in contact so it's likely the fund will increase further with wider reporting.

It will be on Jeremy Vine Radio 2 today - starting now

Edited by newbryford

4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It's all turned into quite a big story and I fully understand why as it's a very human story, increasing media interest means the team will be busy dealing with that interest today along with the necessary insurance and legal stuff. It's anticipated that there may be a piece on Channel 5's Jeremy Vine show (from 9.15) and ITV are in contact so it's likely the fund will increase further with wider reporting.

Jeremy Vine, expect lots of train set references.

Good to see such a response though

• Agree 3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, newbryford said:

It will be on Jeremy Vine Radio 2 today - starting now

I believe that the MRC will be featured with Tim Watson of Copenhagen Fields fame in attendance.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Sad as it it, it is not helpful being negative. Security is something that does need to be looked at for these types of venues.
Maybe local model railway clubs and groups could talk to local schools to see if model railway clubs could be set up in the schools, and then run an inter school challenge siimilar to that very one done on TV last year, maybe with TV coverage and trade sponsorship.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Item starting after The Kinks' Sunny Afternoon

JV is lucky that Tim's calm manner has probably restrained him from inserting a 304.8mm:foot boot somewhere. "Maybe it's lost its voltages". OK all coverage is good, some is better than others.

Well done Tim!

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

If I can help at all I am willing to do so - I am only in Peterborough. One challenge I enjoy, and most hate, is wiring; I'm in the throes of wiring my 'lever frame' and it has around 270 connections albeit not all of these will be used.

Incidentally, across the two JustGiving appeals mentioned the sum total is around £57,000 as I write.

• Like 1

What a tragedy, how sad to see those pictures of the carnage that those idiots did.

I do hope local justice does deliver firm penalties to the guilty.

Now off to contribute to the "Assistance fund" as shown in Andy's opening post. >>>

The official JustGiving page to raise their funds can be found here www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/market-deeping-mrc

Just some other thoughts what do things like club/show insurances cover when damages like this occur?

It does look from the very generous contributions already made that some over shoot in help contributions will occur.
Will this get ringfenced into being made available for assisting any other determined model tragedies of similar note.

Fantastic response by all.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

JV is lucky that Tim's calm manner has probably restrained him from inserting a 304.8mm:foot boot somewhere. "Maybe it's lost its voltages". OK all coverage is good, some is better than others.

Well done Tim!

I thought it wasn't too bad considering the piece was put together very quickly on the fly.  Tim asked me if I could take my 2mm narrow gauge "Pizza" because it's a self-contained layout that's easily portable but I was otherwise engaged.   What we were hearing described was the Copenhagen Fields test track.

I've captured it as an MP3 file but probably shouldn't post it here for copyright reasons - Andy?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

I've captured it as an MP3 file but probably shouldn't post it here for copyright reasons - Andy?

Should be available on iPlayer to listen to the show again soon, not sure if the snippets get edited down individually or you just have to scroll through to a certain point.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

It's probably not permissible to republish the whole interview, it should appear for iplayer soon as said. My earlier extract silliness gets covered under parody and fair use. ;) 

• RMweb Gold
Just now, cromptonnut said:

Should be available on iPlayer to listen to the show again soon, not sure if the snippets get edited down individually or you just have to scroll through to a certain point.

You'll need to scroll through to about 30 minutes in.  I don't know how easily available the BBC sounds player is to non-UK users. The TV version is very restricted.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

It's probably not permissible to republish the whole interview, it should appear for iplayer soon as said. My earlier extract silliness gets covered under parody and fair use. ;) 

OK, that's what I thought.

• Thanks 1

You can catch it on BBC Sounds, starting at about 12:38 (after the Kinks, "In the Summertime"). It is currently "live".

Tim Watson spoke eloquently, while Jeremy Vine showed what might be considered the "Man on the Clapham Omnibus's" lack of understanding of scale or gauge. Two enthusiast's called in after Tim's piecea and there was also a quote from a call by another, younger, modeller.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s just been reported on BBC East Midlands news that Rod Stewart has donated £10,000 to the Market Deeping Exhibition Fund.

Eltel 

• Like 5

Having taken most of my lunch break to read through this post I am saddened yet delighted. Saddened obviously at what happened but the way the hobby have rallied together and even seen support from the outside world so to speak - given that we were once seen as "old men playing trains" lets hope this is changing that outlook from the general public.

I think now it is key for us to keep pulling together and supporting Market Deeping MRC and those who were affected by this, the world is watching now so we need to show them what we are about - in a good way. I am all in favour of the idea of a show to help these guys - I personally have 4 layouts that can go to shows and would gladly attend with one free of charge to help the cause.

• Like 5

I have already made a donation on the MDMRC Just Giving page and left a few words that, hopefully  will bring some comfort to those affected by this mindless act.  I must add that I am amazed at the generosity shown by people from across the World and not just those involved in railway modelling or other modelling disciplines.  I am also hugely impressed that Sir Rod Stewart has added his support and with such a large donation.   It is a privilege to be a part of  this brilliant community.

Mick  

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3