Cancelled due to vandalism- Stamford show 18th May

Trains4U

One aspect that hasn't really been touched on is the 4 trade stands also destroyed. We know P&D Marsh has been affected but there are two unidentified traders whose stands were also destroyed.

There may be an impact on them, too

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

One aspect that hasn't really been touched on is the 4 trade stands also destroyed. We know P&D Marsh has been affected but there are two unidentified traders whose stands were also destroyed.

There may be an impact on them, too

I'm assuming that the original idea of the GoFundMe was to cover the club's "losses" from income on the day through the door and to cover exhibitor's expenses, however now the pot has grown so huge I'm guessing there will be a divide out amongst those affected as appropriate towards costs, for traders being losses of stock and income, and for the layouts/stock damaged to help towards replacements?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

Maybe the publicity over the press and radio may get more people to find out more about the hobby and visiting shows or joining clubs.

I agree as a lot of donors obviously aren't modellers but may be more inclined to visit a local show to see how much work goes into exhibits. Local press and media coverage in advance and good signage would help support that.

Well done everyone for rallying round with words of kindness and support, of offers of physical and financial help..

Sadly this type of thing is everywhere.

It's the Heathfield Agricultural Show this Saturday, a great day out.   Sadly some b*ll-*nds got onto site over the weekend and slashed most of the large marquees. Thousands of pounds of damage.  Show will still go on in this case.

Support your local show, whether model railways, or agricultural. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

They have raised over £61k now, and I see the target has been raised to £75k - I presume that is so it is not automatically shut down, because of reaching its original target? Seeing how quickly it is still rising, and following all the national news items, I suspect they are going to have to raise that target further!!

Most excellent!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

Maybe the publicity over the press and radio may get more people to find out more about the hobby and visiting shows or joining clubs.

David

You could very well be right David - perhaps you need to get ready to be even busier than usual at the weekend!

Gerry

If anyone couldn’t watch the interview, you can scroll back on the video here to see it, though it won’t be available for any longer than a few hours. I thought both Peter and Kay Burley handled the interview well, especially as most people who watch Sky News won’t have an in-depth knowledge of railway modelling.

https://news.sky.com/watch-live

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

If anyone couldn’t watch the interview, you can scroll back on the video here to see it, though it won’t be available for any longer than a few hours. I thought both Peter and Kay Burley handled the interview well, especially as most people who watch Sky News won’t have an in-depth knowledge of railway modelling.

I thought he did very well. Kay Burley scares the life out of me! :lol:

Jason

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

I'm sure she has a soft side - and I agree I thought she did very well without any of the old cliches etc..

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mike Storey said:

They have raised over £61k now, and I see the target has been raised to £75k - I presume that is so it is not automatically shut down, because of reaching its original target? Seeing how quickly it is still rising, and following all the national news items, I suspect they are going to have to raise that target further!!

Most excellent!!

The original £500 target was woefully inadequate.  A symptom perhaps of railway modellers' modestly undervaluing their work.

Thankfully the donations have been coming in thick and fast reaching sums of money that will be useful.

Sympathies to all concerned and the losses that money alone cannot replace.

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

The original £500 target was woefully inadequate.  A symptom perhaps of railway modellers' modestly undervaluing their work.

Perhaps that was the expected amount of profit from the show, in order to keep going for another year as many small clubs operate?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• Moderators

My suggestion for a suitable punishment for the perpetrators would be....

Post deleted.

Can we please stop these sorts of posts?

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Considering what he's had to endure the last few days I thought he was a credit to our hobby. A class act.

• Agree 9

53 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I'm sure she has a soft side - and I agree I thought she did very well without any of the old cliches etc..

Well, she certainly puts interviewees in their place, though she was very polite to a small boy she walked past in London while on Celebrity Hunted last year....

Edited by SVRlad

• RMweb Gold

How very heartening to see the response to the appeal, just fantastic levels of support and sympathy. The high news profile should hopefully prove to be a net positive for the hobby in the longer term.

I am also wondering if some of the 'non-hobby' support and interest stems from the fact that the Channel 5 'Great Model Railway Challenge' really raised the profile of the hobby last year? I hope so, as this further underlines the potential for good that positive mainstream media coverage can give.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SVRlad said:

The interview is at approximately -1:47.  Excellent coverage

HTH

• Agree 1