Cancelled due to vandalism- Stamford show 18th May

Trains4U

This in the Daily Mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7052557/Police-arrest-four-teenage-boys-model-railway-wrecking-spree.html

"

• Four boys - one aged 16, three aged 15 - have been arrested and bailed over the model railway vandalism  
  • Well-wishers have donated more than £80,000 to Market Deeping Model Railway Club in two days
  • Sir Rod Stewart has donated £10,000 and said he 'feels the club's pain' while fellow enthusiast Pete Waterman has also donated and said members' had 'lost their life's work' and would be 'heartbroken' by damage

Mr [Pete] Waterman said he had donated to the club's appeal, although declined to say how much. He added he would invite them to have a prominent role at the Warley Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC Arena in Birmingham that he is president of, set to take place in November."

Nice long article, very understanding to the situation and the people involved; exhibitors, shops, lives and to the hobby.

Edited by Damo666
Addition
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

This in the Daily Mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7052557/Police-arrest-four-teenage-boys-model-railway-wrecking-spree.html

"

• Four boys - one aged 16, three aged 15 - have been arrested and bailed over the model railway vandalism  
  • Well-wishers have donated more than £80,000 to Market Deeping Model Railway Club in two days
  • Sir Rod Stewart has donated £10,000 and said he 'feels the club's pain' while fellow enthusiast Pete Waterman has also donated and said members' had 'lost their life's work' and would be 'heartbroken' by damage

Mr [Pete] Waterman said he had donated to the club's appeal, although declined to say how much. He added he would invite them to have a prominent role at the Warley Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC Arena in Birmingham that he is president of, set to take place in November."

Nice long article, very understanding to the situation and the people involved; exhibitors, shops, lives and to the hobby.

A long article as you point out but with some inconsistencies and rather inaccurate descriptions that, thankfully, only experienced modellers would spot.

Managed carefully, this could create some long term positive PR for the club  and the hobby. For example the possible MDMRC appearance at the NEC would make a good follow on piece, especially if they were in a position to give some idea of their plans for using the donated funds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Oh dear....

I don't think there's much wrong with an introspective appreciation.

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I don't think there's much wrong with an introspective appreciation.

True. But it does emphasis a few clichés which I would hope that we could get away from such as anoraks and people who are masculine not liking model trains as they are too busy playing sports. Railway modelling is for everyone.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Except that it portrays the hobby as a male only domain and ignores the donations made by women and the number (still small) of female railway modellers.  I thought it rather too stereotypical.  Sorry to disagree Andy.

• Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Railway modelling is for everyone.

I got the impression, from reading the article, that is what the author was saying.

G

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

it does emphasis a few clichés

We sometimes do if we talk about ourselves, that's different from it being critical ridicule.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

The Daily Mail article touched upon a comment from the Market Deeping chairman about using part of the funds "We are also looking at how we can support anyone across the model railway world. We are looking at how we can support other clubs who are putting on exhibitions who have extra security requirements that they hadn't budgeted for." which curiously enough was exactly my thinking as I began reading the latest posts on this page. The money being donated to the club creates something of a responsibility as has been mentioned but there are obvious beneficiaries - those whose layouts and trade stands and hard work were destroyed. After that MD club owes itself, without any embarrassment, a large cut of the donations, but a very worthy third direction the funds could go in is to establish a fund that could be a pot of cash to be drawn on by other clubs all over the country who could buy better security measures at their own events.

As already discussed here, there are some venues such as the extremely large convention halls, sporting, university and civic premises where security is already excellent but it is the middle and lower tier of smaller clubs whose annual shows take places at schools and village/town halls who could really benefit from such a fund.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Except that it portrays the hobby as a male only domain and ignores the donations made by women and the number (still small) of female railway modellers.  I thought it rather too stereotypical.  Sorry to disagree Andy.

I doubt any article would please everyone. I read it as one person's perspective. For him, that is the hobby. But everyone is different.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• Administrators
1 minute ago, dpgibbons said:

It's wonderful to see this response but perhaps it's time to close the appeal before the riches become an embarrassment.

I suspect that dealing with the aftermath of the show, plus all the media attention,  it's easier to let it run. A small group of volunteers can't do everything. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

It's wonderful to see this response but perhaps it's time to close the appeal before the riches become an embarrassment.

Why?

Who are we to call for a stop?

Why would you want their funds through this appeal to be limited?

There's nothing for the club to be embarrassed about so I really don't think it is for us, or anyone else, to put the club under any pressure to stop the money coming in.

Let's leave the management of the appeal to those who launched it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 14

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

True. But it does emphasis a few clichés which I would hope that we could get away from such as anoraks and people who are masculine not liking model trains as they are too busy playing sports. Railway modelling is for everyone.

Jason

As I still play football 3 times a week and model (railways) I'm confused into which stereotype I fall into now? Although my body is screaming modelling every morning after a game ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

There was an article about the vandalism in the Telegraph as well. One positive point is that railway modelling is now portrayed in the press as an adult hobby with respected members of the community having model railways and giving financial help to the victims. I don't think that most people now see model railway enthusiasts as adults playing trains. About 30 years ago someone stole my N gauge class 33 locomotive while it was running on my layout at Modelworld in Brighton. When I reported it to the police the police woman said that 'this chap has had his choo choo stolen'. I think attitudes have changed since then as the models have become more sophisticated.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

I am not personally offended when some poke fun at my hobby after all we are adults playing trains especially if we are into tinplate which can hardly be called sophisticated.  I enjoy them all.

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
duplicated words
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

About 30 years ago someone stole my N gauge class 33 locomotive while it was running on my layout at Modelworld in Brighton. When I reported it to the police the police woman said that 'this chap has had his choo choo stolen'. I think attitudes have changed since then as the models have become more sophisticated.

I hope you informed them it was a clag-clag 

• Funny 9

2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

It does that Andy, absolutely true, You are right. But then it is also a filler piece by someone who models, or would like to model if he could afford the space, like us, and it is his perspective, right or wrong (and I think he does subtly invoke people as opposed to "men" in his piece, but it probably does not include the desirable cross-gender attitude that we would all like to see). Perhaps the Grauniad should have found someone else. Do Polly Toynbee or Owen Jones have a trainset?

I did not see any attempt by the Daily Maul, the Sun, the Beeb or even the Rutland & Stamford Mercury, to enforce gender equality in their reports, not even a mention of Sir Rod's girlfriends or wives.....

But then we could criticise almost the entire reporting of the tragedy on the same basis. The MDMRC did not field a single woman to comment on the incident or its aftermath, although it did mention the disabled and terminally ill. Damn them.

But that would be somewhat churlish, perhaps. Because we are still, essentially, a bunch of old geezers who play trains, and wimmin and younger folk are still a, sadly, notable omission from much of our hobby (not mine, I hasten to add, as the current Mrs Storey has told me to write, after she demanded I clean the bog before I head out to that stupid obsession in the garden, about which she has so many opinions, few publishable on a family website.)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 minutes ago, brianusa said:

I am not personally offended when some poke fun at my hobby after all we are adults playing trains especially if we are into tinplate which can hardly be called sophisticated.  I enjoy them all.

Brian.

I wasn't complaining about someone poking fun about my hobby. It was the fact in the article he was saying that you can't be into model railways and be masculine. Virtually blaming people with testosterone for ruining the layouts.

But then I Googled the writer and found he spends his time writing about testosterone fuelled music....

Including some of the most extreme forms.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jun/07/sunn-o-the-ecstatic-doom-metallers-turning-rock-concerts-into-ritualist-experiences

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/luke-turner

So I think he was trying to provoke a response rather than anything else.

Jason

• Like 1