Cancelled due to vandalism- Stamford show 18th May

Trains4U

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

..........and it seems the perpetrators may have now learnt their lesson.

Hopefully, and quite possibly; however this is surely based on the (arguably somewhat biased) interview with one of the Mothers.  The fact that she has said that she "is making him write a letter of apology" is a clue to me.  I'd be more impressed if he were doing it off his own back, without pressure from others.  Nothing from the other 75% of the team though.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

9 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I was as distressed as most of us when I heard what had happened on Saturday, and for most of this week I would quite happily have joined the 'hang 'em and flog 'em' brigade.

However no amount of 'punishment' will being back the ruined models, and it seems the perpetrators may have now learnt their lesson.

Maybe the more pragmatic approach would be for the clubs concerned to invite the perpetrators to assist with the rebuilding/replacement work, teaching them new skills as they go. If they show an eagerness to help put right - if only in a small way - what they have done, then it would perhaps be in order for the clubs to ask that whatever sentence would have been handed down to be suspended (i.e. not to be enacted unless they do something similar again).

If,as a result, some of these young men decide to take up this wonderful hobby, that would to my mind be a far better outcome than a custodial sentence.

I think this is a great post and that would be a great outcome.  Just wish I didn't feel so cynical about their remorse.

Steve.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

First sentence has been carried out..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7059229/Mother-teenage-yob-smashed-model-railway-exhibition-says-mortified.html

I have a feeling the next exhibition held by this club will be their most high profile and best ever show... and so it should be.

… and possibly in a more secure venue?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cromptonnut said:

… and possibly in a more secure venue?

The next exhibition is already planned for the same venue.

I imagine the school have examined their security in great detail over the last week.

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

The next exhibition is already planned for the same venue.

Is, or was?  Venue changes happen for various reasons all the time, and there is the chance that if something bigger and better is planned, the school may no longer be suitable or have enough room?  Obviously being rural Lincolnshire there aren't a huge amount of options available but if I were in that situation I would be wondering.  Of course, the chances of something similar happening again anywhere are still incredibly remote, thankfully.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cromptonnut said:

Is, or was?  Venue changes happen for various reasons all the time, and there is the chance that if something bigger and better is planned, the school may no longer be suitable or have enough room?  Obviously being rural Lincolnshire there aren't a huge amount of options available but if I were in that situation I would be wondering.  Of course, the chances of something similar happening again anywhere are still incredibly remote, thankfully.

They'd need a bigger venue if Rod Stewart was invited to and agreed to open the next show.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, cromptonnut said:

If you go looking for venues, it's surprisingly hard to find exhibition halls, even in urban areas.

My guess, and it is a guess, is that this show was as big as they felt comfortable organising. Model railway exhibition teams are generally unpaid volunteers. All the money in the world isn't likely to grow the team unless they chose to contract the work out to someone else, but I think that is very unlikely.  However, this is up to the club when the dust has settled, which won't be for many weeks.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, polybear said:

Hopefully, and quite possibly; however this is surely based on the (arguably somewhat biased) interview with one of the Mothers.  The fact that she has said that she "is making him write a letter of apology" is a clue to me.  I'd be more impressed if he were doing it off his own back, without pressure from others.  Nothing from the other 75% of the team though.

Good that she's trying. People won't change without pressure.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I was as distressed as most of us when I heard what had happened on Saturday, and for most of this week I would quite happily have joined the 'hang 'em and flog 'em' brigade.

However no amount of 'punishment' will being back the ruined models, and it seems the perpetrators may have now learnt their lesson.

Maybe the more pragmatic approach would be for the clubs concerned to invite the perpetrators to assist with the rebuilding/replacement work, teaching them new skills as they go. If they show an eagerness to help put right - if only in a small way - what they have done, then it would perhaps be in order for the clubs to ask that whatever sentence would have been handed down to be suspended (i.e. not to be enacted unless they do something similar again).

If,as a result, some of these young men decide to take up this wonderful hobby, that would to my mind be a far better outcome than a custodial sentence.

Excellent thinking.

P

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, polybear said:

I wonder if they put a cheque in with that letter though, or do they even know where the link is for that just giving page ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As stated earlier, let's leave it to the judge.

On a personal note if my layout had been thrashed I would not let the perpetrators anywhere near it as I would not be relaxed enough to trust them.  Whether the Market Deeping club feel the same is up to them.

Maybe rehabilitation is relevant, but as said above let's leave that decision to the Judge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Shoe on other foot, The school will be as devastated as the club at what has happened and this incident could  effect their ability to hire out the hall, which most times is done to raise extra funds FOR the school. The club continuing to use them as a venue would show trust AND support for the school and help them continue raising  probably much needed funds 

Edited by Mattc6911
  • Like 6
  • Agree 9

22 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I find the "hang 'em high" reaction that always follows any incident that affects our sensibilities as, at best, unhelpful (if understandable). I would certainly encourage the young people to meet with the modellers who's work they have destroyed and try to reach some kind of understanding. I agree that incarceration would serve no purpose, assuming that this is not behaviour that is part of a pattern (i.e. something they have done before). They have some growing up to do.

• Agree 3

• Administrators

You don't like the people who did this. I don't like the people who did this. However, there is now a legal process taking place so please, no discussion of the suspects. We aren't judges or psychologists. Nor is this the thread for grumbling about "the youth of today".

• Agree 18

22 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

You don't like the people who did this. I don't like the people who did this. However, there is now a legal process taking place so please, no discussion of the suspects. We aren't judges or psychologists. Nor is this the thread for grumbling about "the youth of today".

It is also worth pointing out that there will be a significant number of forum members aged between 14 and 30 , who are no doubt as shocked and appalled as those over 30...

We should not in any way smear with guilt by association - those who did this are wholly responsible for it and must answer for their actions, and those who had nothing to do with it bear no responsibility. I noticed one younger member earlier in the thread evidently feeling he needed formally to disassociate himself from this, and he shouldn't really have felt under that sort of need to clear himself

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

They'd need a bigger venue if Rod Stewart was invited to and agreed to open the next show.

3 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I wonder if his layout is exhibitable? He takes it on tour with him!

Not now his age means he can't hire a Van...

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

But he could hire a van with driver.

I understand his layout is permanent and the length including fiddle yard is circa 100ft.  Perhaps a couple of artics would do. :)

20190524_220916.jpg

Edited by Colin_McLeod
Edit to add picture
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

When I saw the news about this vandalism, I was extremely upset and very angry that the products of so much dedicated and skilled effort had been destroyed.

I didn't post earlier as I wanted to carefully consider my response.

My own restoration work is at 12" to the foot and I know just how much work goes into things like NSR23.

Several of my projects have been the result of vandalism (specifically arson) rather than just anno domini ...

I have just visited the justgiving page. The total stands at £104,550. which is 139% raised of the £75,000 target, by the donations of 5351 supporters.

and from previous posts I recall that there have been offers of help and gifts of physical items from the modelling fraternity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StoneRoad said:

I have just visited the justgiving page. The total stands at £104,550. which is 139% raised of the £75,000 target, by the donations of 5351 supporters.

and from previous posts I recall that there have been offers of help and gifts of physical items from the modelling fraternity.

Or 20,900% of the original £500 target! ;-)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Now reached a staggering £105,250.  This is quite amazing, and is without any contributions made directly by cheque or bank transfer.

It just goes to show that there are a 5367  very generous people out there.

• Agree 2