Cancelled due to vandalism- Stamford show 18th May

Trains4U

6 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Fair play to the head teacher, but above all to those pupils who want to do something to rectify the situation.  In a small community like Stamford I suspect a lot of the pupils and parents will have an idea of who was involved so it was important to make the point not to compromise any investigation by discussing any suspects.  Far too often keyboard warriors start Facebooking names and details today but by doing so can create legal problems for any investigation, so it was a timely warning by the head teacher.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

40 minutes ago, tom q vaxy said:

I think it's a bit biased, focusing on the school & students in an effort to make a statement, and a bit glossing over the real loss of time, effort, & cost damages by the exhibitors.

perhaps that is all that can be done by someone in her position at this time.

The majority of people still will have absolutely no idea of the cost of replacing items, or indeed the hundreds of hours involved in creating something - even a humble wagon - in the first place.  I very much doubt that she would really be any different.

• Agree 2

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Trainshed Terry said:

I have just had a quick look at were the https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/market-deeping-mrc

page is up to. 

YIKES! All I can say it has been a great response from the model railway comunity.

Terry.

That's not just the model railway community - it's the wider world seeing and understanding what our models mean.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

The actions of young people just mirror the society we live in, thankfully those who cause problems are the very small minority. The majority of young people are a thoroughly decent set of folk, whilst in some ways they may have different values about belongings, in other ways far more active in making a more caring, tolerant and cleaner environment for all to live in. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this has been covered (I did a search) but was Burnham (M&GN) one of the damaged layouts? It featured in the current Railway Modeller and is mentioned as being due to appear at the exhibition. It looked to be a very nice bit of work by a solo modeller who says around 800 hours had gone into it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Now that the crowd funding is petering out (only a few hundred pounds over the last few days) would it be a good time to close the account?  

As Andy says, not our call. It is likely that shutting the account down isn't the highest priority right at the moment. Remember, this is a small group of volunteers dealing with a massive situation. They are probably talking to insurance companies at the moment - and getting over the shock. 

I'm sure they will get around to it eventually, just as I'm sure they will work out where the money is going - eventually.

All of which can be done without our input.

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, Trains4U said:

Yes, it is. The owner, Dave, has been in to see us and I had a chat with him.

fortunately his layout wasn’t too badly damaged. It was the woodwork beneath, and some stock that suffered.

the parts have been obtained to fix what was broken and he is working on new frames and trestles.

he is hopeful to have it ready to show again in just over a weeks time at Kettering.

The damaged locos are in the care of Bachmann.

I would really like to get along to Kettering and was intending to at one stage but now I am away in France and will miss it.

I am actually tempted to cancel my trip abroad so I can attend the show and pass on my appreciation of the reconstruction work that's been done.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Now that the crowd funding is petering out (only a few hundred pounds over the last few days) would it be a good time to close the account? 

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier reply. ;)

Basically not our call.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

The BBC recently filmed a feature for "The ONE Show" about the Market Deeping Club, and their activities following the problems at Stamford.

I've been advised that it is due to be broadcast this evening (Thursday 13th June)

Peter and some of the club were filmed a couple of weeks ago - including filming a visit to our shop (I was filmed and interviewed on the 25th May)
I'm not sure if our bit is still included or if it ended up on the cutting room floor.   I'll find out tonight. 

Please tune-in and have a watch - fingers crossed, I was advised at the weekend that it may not be shown at all...  the media can be very fickle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Sorry your bit got cut Gareth. The rest of it came across very well though :)

Given the tone of the piece, it probably wouldn’t have flowed well, so it was right not to be included.

never mind... :)

• Friendly/supportive 5

• 5 weeks later...

I see that four teenagers have now been charged with criminal damage and are due to appear in court 29th August.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place or inappropriate.

G

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6