Cancelled due to vandalism- Stamford show 18th May

Trains4U

What is wrong with them? Real hard knocks throwing bits of jigsaws about...

My heartfelt condolences to the people who have suffered damage whether physical, financial and emotional. Support your local shows and traders. I was debating whether to go to a show next weekend, that's made my mind up I'll be at Rainhill.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree that this is a shocking an unprecedented incident.

Like others I would be more than willing to contribute in any way possible to support the club and those who have lost through this mindless act of wanton destruction.

Tony

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have slept in an exhibition hall for security, but I am doubtful that I would have been much help against four youths determined to wreak havoc on an exhibition.

This is truly a sad day for our hobby, and my sypathies and virtual support go out to all who have been affected by this wanton act of destruction - exhibitors, organisers, venue owner, and visitors

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 45156 said:

I have slept in an exhibition hall for security, but I am doubtful that I would have been much help against four youths determined to wreak havoc on an exhibition.

This is truly a sad day for our hobby, and my sypathies and virtual support go out to all who have been affected by this wanton act of destruction - exhibitors, organisers, venue owner, and visitors

I doubt that the offenders deliberately targeted it because it was a model railway exhibition, it could have been anything - a flower arranging exhibition say and it would still have been trashed.

As with most cases of vandalism if someone is there then most opportunists will steer clear, the risks of being caught in the act and identified usually outway the enjoyment of trashing other folks stuff. For such criminals the excitement is in the actual act of destrucion, not taking care to ensure it looks valuable first.

While it is obviously a most distressing incident for those involved in the exhibition (and an unusual occurrence in our hobby), its hardly are rare thing in society at large. As recent vandalism at the West Somerset and Great Central (Ruddington) shows no sector is safe these days and precautions need to be taken where possible to try and minimise giving the thugs tempting targets (such as a physical presence on site for example).

• Agree 7

Dear Market Deeping Model Railway Club,

I am so deeply saddened by this. Very sorry for the men, women and families affected. I hope the punishment includes forced attending model railway shows and other art and craft events for a long time. I can't think of anything else that will educate and repair the damaged minds as we all live in this society together.

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

My heart goes out to those who've had their layouts and stands trashed.  Possibly the biggest loss is the time taken to build the models, you can never get that back. Every one of us must now thinking "how would I feel if this were me".

• Like 2
  • Agree 15

Hi

does anyone have a feeling for what the financial losses are for the club and exhibitors?  I’m wondering whether a “just giving” or similar page could be set up as I’m sure there are lots of people, like me, here who would be happy to contribute.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Insurance may well provide financial recompense, but that’s not the full story.  Exhibitions are often the year’s big fundraiser for clubs, so a last minute cancellation will be additionally tough on them.

Of little comfort to those whose treasured layouts and stock is involved, but it is possible to buy cancellation insurance for events like this. When I worked at Lloyds many years ago event cancellation cover was common, often for outdoor events and adverse weather, but other types of cover were available so one must hope that the organising club had insurance in place to pay out the value of the lost receipts in the event of cancellation.

Other than that my thoughts are with those who have suffered this awful loss in such terrible circumstances.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My deepest commiserations to all affected by this dreadful act.

Picking up on one thing that has been said already, namely having people sleeping in the hall overnight to deter would-be intruders.

I agree with Phil b-259 that the mere presence of someone could well make the difference between another thoughtless act and the intruders cutting their losses and going away. So what is the objection of certain halls/organisations to people sleeping on a camp bed overnight? Presumably something connected with their own insurance and possibly 'Health & Safety', maybe?

If so, perhaps some method could be devised to deal with those aspects and thus permit a couple of exhibition organisers to sleep on site?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Hi

does anyone have a feeling for what the financial losses are for the club and exhibitors?  I’m wondering whether a “just giving” or similar page could be set up as I’m sure there are lots of people, like me, here who would be happy to contribute.

David

Thank you for that David. A practical response to a nightmare scenario is best. This is by definition a community and a community is always best at self help. We cannot mend broken dreams and treasures but when the appalling destruction has been cleared and the damage incurred quantified in monetary terms if indeed that is possible then an injection of capital for regeneration is surely the best we can do.

Yes we can rail against the brain deadening action of those who perpetrated this but let’s just  fume away quietly to ourselves and reflect. Financial assistance is what we can and should give if it can be somehow put in place.

I can use my Gold Membership as a  token symbol .Then I can put some cash upfront. Can this forum put something in place when it is necessary ?  We must help.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a fair selection of Farish Blue Ribband Mk1 coach spare parts if it will help repair any suitable stock involved although I don't know if any N gauge layouts were affected.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45156 said:

Matey, you and a torch would have been enough to deter these little #####. Unless you sleep very soundly indeed they would have crapped their keks if you had set off the panic alarm that these sports places always have.

Phil

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

I really hope that these yobs are made to realise just what they have done.

They probably already do and think "That was a good laugh"

Their mindset isn't the same as yours or mine.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Shocking . Of course it’s not just property but models that people have put their heart and sole into. That’s what makes it particularly devastating . I feel so so sorry for people that have had layouts and stock trashed . And all you were trying to do is entertain the public . I really hope the punishment takes that into account, but somehow doubt it .

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

"One of the locomotives had been built by a man who has terminal cancer. Not only was it worth in the region of £8,000, it had also taken him a lot of time to build and because of his cancer he will never be able to rebuild it.

"He had also brought along a layout that he had created over 25 years. Again, this is something he will not be able to remake.

I saw this quote, and it is probably the most heart-breaking aspect of the whole situation.

I would advise anyone who would dismiss this situation as 'it was just possessions' to read and reflect upon this.

11 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Which is the nub of the issue - how can you reason with, or convey the impact of their actions to someone who does not have the mental or social capacity to understand what they did was a bad thing?

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
typo
  • Like 5
  • Agree 14

My condolences to all who have suffered from this mindless event.

For a number of years I kept Exhibition Budgerigars and it was common practice to have a couple of night watchmen or possibly if the person was a well known gent who was an ex-police officer, local magistrate and world's strongest man,  he would do it alone.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Almost certainly true - which is why I'm trying to keep this thread away from bothering or dreaming of retribution. 

It's great to see so many people keen to help. We ARE better than the "people" who did this.

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Can this forum put something in place when it is necessary ?  We must help.

I have mentioned the possibility of a site for donations on N Gauge Forum. I'm sure that there would be support across the modelling fraternity.  Jon 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2