Cancelled due to vandalism- Stamford show 18th May

Trains4U

Absolutely shocked at this. I can’t imagine how I would feel if my own layout had been trashed like that, let alone the traders, who’s livelihood depends on their stands

What I find incomprehensible is that the parents of these 15 year olds let their offspring be out on the streets AT 3 o’CLOCK IN THE MORNING

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold

Truly terrible. All I can suggest is that if the perpetrators are taken court then as many affected people as possible submit a Victim Personal Statement. The Police should offer this. The VPS can explain to the Court the true impact of the offences and be taken into account for sentencing.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/legal_guidance/joint-agency-guide-victim-personal-statement_0.pdf

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

I hope that when they come to court the people whos layouts and stock was destroyed will be able to stand up in court and give evidence as to how long their layouts had taken to be plus the skill and enthusasim  involved.Hopefully the press will support the club and modelers and something will come from this crime to aid people affected .

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, friscopete said:

Its just a thing dumb kids do .I watched my late  friend demolish a phone box  in seconds when we were at the local grammar  school .All because he couldnt get through to his MUM .He ended up a policeman   .Another fine upstanding lad  I went to school with used to break in anywhere he could .He stole food ,guns ,ammo ,anything ..he was our favorite source for  stolen 22 ammo .He later became a teacher  who dabbled in model railways..

Ah.  So that makes it all right then!

I think not.

10 hours ago, ianmianmianm said:

Curious. When these kids became earners, did they fully repay the financial cost of their crime, with interest then?

Probably not.

Let's not start making excuses for the young criminals.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

4 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Truly terrible. All I can suggest is that if the perpetrators are taken court then as many affected people as possible submit a Victim Personal Statement. The Police should offer this. The VPS can explain to the Court the true impact of the offences and be taken into account for sentencing.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/legal_guidance/joint-agency-guide-victim-personal-statement_0.pdf

Ethey are heardxcellent lets hope 

That is terrible, simply terrible. The damage must have broken many hearts, especially when the models may have involved many hours (if not months) of painstaking work. 

My sympathies go out to all involved, and I hope the culprits are given a punishment which recognises all the heartache their actions have caused. 

• Agree 1

Not sure if or how this could work but could clubs in an area who hold shows e.g. (South East or Northwest etc) , group together to get a security firm to cover the different venues during the year if required (some venues have there own obviously) and hopefully be able to negotiate a deal for all the clubs involved? Again like I say, just a thought and not sure practicalities etc. Yes the cost would need to covered but could help reduce insurance premium for exhibition.

Simon

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

If security guard costs are like hiring warehouse and office temps there is generally very little scope for discounts, because it is a very competitive market with a minimum cost base set by the minimum wage and associated holiday and pension costs. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

In today's world of batch production of models - even the RTR stuff can become virtually irreplaceable.

We are talking of an insurance valuation for quite a rare event here, and although it might be up to the owner to prove the current rare/ collectable value of an item, that's the figure that should be paid out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, soony said:

Wonder what the connection between four, 15 year olds wandering the streets at 4am , and the local "school" is?.. Sure , one of them wanted to hand his homework in.......!

Well I would like to think they/he is/are now an ex pupil(s) of that school. 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if this has been suggested elsewhere but would the club like donations of stock/buildings/materials etc to at least get them going again as quickly as possible? All the money in the world won't do that, as modellers, surely we could help a bit individually or as clubs? Now may not be the time to start this and it is ultimately up to the Market Deeping club themselves. At least they know the offer is there and clearly there is a lot of support from throughout the hobby.

Its just such a sad thing to happen.........

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, holywell junction said:

I don't know if this has been suggested elsewhere but would the club like donations of stock/buildings/materials etc to at least get them going again as quickly as possible? All the money in the world won't do that, as modellers, surely we could help a bit individually or as clubs? Now may not be the time to start this and it is ultimately up to the Market Deeping club themselves. At least they know the offer is there and clearly there is a lot of support from throughout the hobby.

Its just such a sad thing to happen.........

It's not just the club, per se, it's the individual modellers and groups who were exhibiting layouts at the show.  The response from the modelling fraternity needs to be suitably coordinated to make maximum impact.

• Agree 3

20 hours ago, GJChurchward said:

There's going to be a whole raft of problems to deal with there.  The earliest an insurance company can send someone is going to be Monday, by which time the scene will have reverted back to its intended purpose.  The school needs to use its space again.

This is the eve of exam season.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

The costs of damage are very substantial but involvement with the insurers will start tomorrow and the club have a lot to get through. I relayed our collective support and Peter is in the throes of arranging a JustGiving page, which he will let us have details of, and I would ask that all support is channeled through that source for maximum benefit.

Andy, I wonder if the club would welcome any assistance with the administration of the fall-out and whether this is something the community could assist with in a practical way?  I imagine there will be a lot of bureaucracy and forms to wade through, and even keeping tabs of offers of help, support and the like will be a major task for a small club still reeling from the shock of the events.  it could be the offer of a person to help with admin tasks and to keep an overview of things could be welcome.

On a separate issue full credit to the Stamford Mercury who have demonstrated a well balanced and thoughtful approach to reporting the event and beat the BBC to the story.  Noble local journalism at it's best, well done to the reporter for her treatment of the unfolding events.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

Just been on the 2pm Radio 5 Live News. They emphasised not only the monetary value of the models but also the years taken to construct them. 

Edited by Guest

21 hours ago, guzzler17 said:

Could the CMRA, Market Deeping MRC is a member, organise a show or two where all the proceeds go to the affected parties?

If there is something near to me I'd bundle a layout in the car and waive any expenses.

My thoughts are well expressed throughout theis thread.

In the event that a show were organised as suggested I would be up for a no cost  entry with Clearwater Harbor 0N30
(see CMRA 2019 photos)

Steve W

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1