first test module using 3D perspective, with buildings created using 3d printing and working oo and n gauge trains in foreground and background.

perspective-street-module-1-sm.jpg

I had been looking at 3D perspective for a while, inspired by the work of Jack Nelson , with his superb 3D perspective modules. Not the simpler type of 3D perspective used in the TV challenge program, and now in RM, but with buildings and objects that cross over the scales.

Only the trains are true scale,along with some small accesories, but the houses and shops are OO at front end and N scale at back end. I am waiting for a small church building to fit in the centre.

As the buildings are 3D printed, not simple 2D printed card buildings, it is intended to add some form of lighting inside them, and with street lights to suitable scales, it will be possible to display this module in daytime and night time scenarios. 

The OO and N gauge tracks willextend left and right, and have trains on a timer. Eventually it is hoped to have other modues and create two continuous circuits, including docksides, warehouses, statuions all in 3D perspective.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
detail plus photo added
  • Like 5

Guess work initially, but you have to set a start point, then set reduction factor and stick to it. It is forced, but there is no absolutely correct setting.

Having looked closely at one of Jack Nelson's modules, I thought it worth a try using modern design technology.

Progress is good. If I don'tmove fst I tend to get stuck. Church arrived today so a quick coat of pain to se how it looks. A few bits and pieces on order, but might get delayed by street lamps coming from China.

perspective-street-module-2-sm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished, just need to let it dry and ad a few more bits. Still need to build track modules to fit either side as well. Streeet lighting and house/shop lights fitted and work.Pity could not find anysmaller streetlights asN scale ones are still a bit bit.

perspective-street-module-3-sm.jpgperspective-street-module-4-sm.jpg

• Like 2

I tried taking photo through arches, but it had trouble auto focusing, so will have to try on different setting. Might have a look for Z scale ones. Trouble is cheap ones are often not marked correctly.Height isnot an issue, but size of LED is often too big.

• 5 months later...

I suspect the Conwy Valley (Betws-y-Coed) Railway Museum's modules may actually have been some of Jack Nelson's work. His original perpective dioramas at his home were LNWR , including Lime St. But they were all HO, including at least one custom built coal tank.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Jack Nelson was a pioneeer of modern model railway modelling. He used the Z dimensuion, when most others tended to have 'flat' layouts with the odd hill. He also modelled HO, although some of his perspective dioramas are to other scales at front. He had advantage as LNWR locos were mostly inside cylinders , but apart from his smaller building proects he did not get into print after 1940s.I have copies of MRN fom just post war with his articles about his LNWR HO layout.

Just had first exhition with my mini layout,and it was extremely well received. One invite for Dukinfield in April. I have the second moduke almost finished. It had been hoped to connect it to firs , but I got some calcuations wrong and I decided it would be beter on its own , and it is now in a dffernt time period, so will need asome more trains to run.

I wonderd how to display the modules, and had originally planned tomake it like you were looking over a all, then I realised it was about size of a picture frame , so have created a wall using lining paper, with what looks like a pictur hanging on t. still need to do some tweeks based on first exhibition, such as a magnetic board I can 'hang' with dettails and one for exhbitions it has been at. church-st-at-blackburn1.jpg.3f1e352cfeb8849e0636adb212f04dcf.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1