Formerly Round and Round a new beginning - now CHIRM

On 02/01/2020 at 13:27, jamessolomon said:

"Monon F3A #83-B is at the intersection of Kirkwood Avenue and Morton Street as it approaches southbound to the station in Bloomington, Indiana, circa late 1940's. Today, this scene has changed drastically and the right-of-way is now the Bloomington Rail Trail. John W. Barriger III photo."

39923956_10161052403640529_8184758917872484352_o.jpg

Hoping to create this kind of street scene on part of the model being built. Not making much progress at the moment but posts like this give a boost. Thanks for taking the time to post 

Frustrating afternoon in the garage. The lift out section no longer fitted as something somewhere has moved so 3 hours of fettling instead of tackling new stuff. Hey ho. Now fits, - again and I think will have to kept in to help keep layout square and only removed for access etc.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After a long time out of the garage due to illness and poor weather lost interest in the project but construction of a little layout helped get modelling mojo back again and wired up two switches today with operation by wire in tube. To reduce soldering which can set off asthma, not a good idea in the present situation going to use wire into sockets rather than solder to bus wires. 

8841D21D-8265-4C3F-9C71-6CE99BF15A5F.jpeg

Frustrating morning of wiring with an intermittent solder fault that was hard Tonträger but my the afternoon was over managed to wire up all the track  in view so Loco ran down to the depot. Waiting for more cork before anymore track can be laid.

Post been and gone and no deliveries so Monday before cork, wire and glue sticks  so Bit of a  tidy up but mapped out two spurs and kick back spurs.  Thinking at moment to make both ends single track making depot area a passing point.

65A38BEB-1F60-468F-B770-255F19B80771.jpeg

546597A2-D1B3-4F67-952E-69FC3250DA30.jpeg

Post been and gone and no deliveries so Monday before cork, wire and glue sticks  so Bit of a  tidy up but mapped out two spurs and kick back spurs.  Thinking at moment to make both ends single track making depot area a passing point.

More cork arrived so track laying restarted. Managed to lay 6 switches until,had first major short. Tracked down to wiring wrong frog wire to a different feed! Station loop holds 9 40 ft cars and loco so twice length of trains on Vimes Street. Will need to revise track plan as insufficient spurs to hold cars. Currently a loco moves on all track without stalling or shorting a major achievement for me!

• Like 1

Tracks now on all four sides of the layout, station and yard all laid and wired and cork and tracks heading towards the fiddle yard. Resisted urge to put in another industry, it will be the town instead. Still might be something going open the right hand corner. Thinking about making a hood that that will cover the fiddle yard to protect stock when not in use but will have to wait until shops re open running out of switches so new supplies need to be ordered.

8D410DC2-F25C-4086-9D4C-713ED57947BF.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, enginelane said:

Thinking about making a hood that that will cover the fiddle yard to protect stock when not in use

Put a slope on the hood, or it will end up as a shelf...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, enginelane said:

Yeap! Took me 30 mins this morning to clear the right hand side before I could seethe base boards! 

If that becomes necessary before an operating session? Then the sessions won’t happen...

That was of all the stuff that had got piled up on that side. Today going to reorganise the spaces beneath the baseboards to create storage space so stuff does not go back on top. Also going to have to be more ruthless in what stuff I do need to keep as - keep it, might come in handy tends to be what I do! 

Big day today as finally wired up the lift out section and a train ran from one to side to the other!  Freezing cold in the garage with the wind today but happy day! Still needs work but it works. Hopefully ordered switches will arrive later this week and will be able to connect up track to make it into a roundy roundy.

B1F9FC58-E68D-4994-AD6B-4455EF493143.jpeg

• Like 2

New supplies did not arrive today and looks like Post Office now not delivering Saturdays so the missing 40 cms of track is frustratingly still there as awaiting I curved point and onevleft Hand point. Have two insulafrogs but prefer electro frog on what will be the main line. 

have enough track laid though to do some switching in CHIRM so trains have run. Looks like have the kick back siding wrong so considering relaying already that section.

made a shelf to store the lift out section which when operating will make a good place to keep the coffee mug!

6FB8D65D-296F-4D38-B852-38AF50300E63.jpeg

4B9DB407-F6F4-4186-8CE0-9EEA77D99885.jpeg

• Like 1

Missing switches arrived today, apparently Post Office not delivering letters on Saturdays but are parcels. Switches now in place and layout is now a roundy roundy! Just needs wiring up and that requires the sliding switches that should come Monday.   Changed fiddle yard to two loops to maximise length and converted other loop into dead head spur.

Branch line / joint line now has three long dead end spurs. Should provide the on layout storage.

stone yard will have a second spur added to it as one spur too restrictive on wagon storage etc