Formerly Round and Round a new beginning - now CHIRM

So it’s nearly there. Stock boxes are complete and with 2 more tankers to build all stock has been collected. Looking forward to running some trains. Grandson Issac is just 9 months but the other day he was very interested in the watching and hearing the locos run up and down! 

still a lot of detailing and cameos to add but pleased with the outcome. 

Edited by enginelane
Added more text
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

Had a few running sessions now and working up a basic pattern of trains and spotting cars that are troublesome. It’s not perfect and if doing again would modify the track plan and more Storage would be good but it works and shall enjoy giving the locos a good run around  instead of 8ft backwards and forwards. 

Scene at CHIRM where northbound freight held for refrigerator service to pass whilst Number 18 is preparing to switch a  mixed freight that has come off the branch.

8249A4EC-1E35-48A2-A758-5E221340C87F.jpeg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, enginelane said:

Had a few running sessions now and working up a basic pattern of trains and spotting cars that are troublesome. It’s not perfect and if doing again would modify the track plan and more Storage would be good but it works and shall enjoy giving the locos a good run around  instead of 8ft backwards and forwards. 

Scene at CHIRM where northbound freight held for refrigerator service to pass whilst Number 18 is preparing to switch a  mixed freight that has come off the branch.

8249A4EC-1E35-48A2-A758-5E221340C87F.jpeg

word I was looking for was reefer 

New addition to the Loco roster and will be used on the branch trains from the quarry. The Monon had two examples  of the H15-44 numbered 44 and 45. on CHIRM the Railway has taken delivery of newly retired UP 1325 supposedly to keep 44 and 45 going. However in better repair so pressed into service until it goes through the paint shops. 

it is a very nice mover, runs very well on the layout. 

915C079A-25F8-4E81-BA43-5677612E73F1.jpeg

Edited by enginelane
Added text
  • Like 2

Have a few BR Steamers and have given them a run around but they stop more often at places the US models do not . Running is more jerky even after cleaning wheels etc. The H15-44 has not run literally for years, might even be a decade and ran first time out of the box.

Looking for the box of vehicles from Vimes Street and came across a Baldwin VO-1000 that I had started as an industrial Switcher. Ran first time on CHIRM so now going to the stone mill Switcher after adding handrails etc.

The US Navy had a lot of them in WW2 and a few were disposed of after the Korean War with one ending up at the Stone Mill. 

EF26B17E-0B17-4135-81D0-3B9D6227FC3F.jpeg

123D3DFA-9C88-4DD1-B48F-845930DC8C62.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Use of an insulafrog switch in entrance to stone mill proving to be a bad choice. Had some left from Vimes Street and used it there instead of purchasing an electrofrog and already the switch rails are not passing current leaving an annoying dead section. Any suggestions on making it more reliable without taking up and replacing? 

200B7AD6-6143-40E4-925D-E3001411017B.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, enginelane said:

Use of an insulafrog switch in entrance to stone mill proving to be a bad choice. Had some left from Vimes Street and used it there instead of purchasing an electrofrog and already the switch rails are not passing current leaving an annoying dead section. Any suggestions on making it more reliable without taking up and replacing? 

200B7AD6-6143-40E4-925D-E3001411017B.jpeg

Hi there.  I’m not an expert on electrics / electronics, but I hope this helps (I expect I can only share what you already know though).  Looking closely at the photo it looks like there are insulated railjoiners on all four rails at the left end of the point, so (if I’m right) there is presumably a separate source of power further along the spurs to the left ?

Although it would be a short-term pain, this does suggest to me that lifting and replacing the point with an Electrofrog (if you can get one) might still be a wise long-term option, as it should solve the problem if the extra wiring required is already in place.

The ballasting looks great, so it would be a shame to disturb it, but it would then look like the switch has been lifted and replaced as happens in real life too.

The other possible options would probably all involve drilling holes and soldering additional wires to bridge the electrical gaps:  connecting each frog or point rail to the relevant stock rail would probably be easier than trying to solder connections from between the closure rails or switch rails and the stock rails without lifting the point anyway.

The only other alternative I can think of would be to solder over the insulated rail joints so power is flowing back into the switch from the spurs.  This would not work with Electrofrog (it would definitely cause short circuits), but might be OK with an Insulfrog?  I’d double check this before trying it of course.

In the short-term, while you decide what to do, switching the Spurs with long enough cuts of barrier wagons such that the locomotives don’t actually cross this switch would be a work around I guess (but not an ideal one).

Don’t know if this helps at all, sorry.  I really like the way the layout has come together and I enjoy the updates.  Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I cleaned up all the rails of the Switch and the wheels of the switcher and recsoldered the feed wires to the switch and lo and behold it works more often than it does not! Looks like a dry joint May have been the main culprit but it’s on the list to be modified. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Second test done and in the post. Lost 3.3 kgs in weight in a week, no real cough during day but at night difficult to find a sleeping position which does not induce coughing, sleep difficult, wake up covered in sweat or freezing. Overall feel yuk. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

Thanks, glad to have been given the vaccine. It’s not pleasant. - oh it’s just like flu . Well having flu is not pleasant. Given my other medical issues could see how it could quickly spiral out of control. Between 4 am and 5 am always seems to a bad time of the day. Little desire to eat anything. Key factor is keep drinking, 

Drier day than yesterday with some sun so felt uplifted and spent time in the garden and the garage. Decided to add more concrete standing to the diner as looked too imbalanced before.  The Vegetation on the embankments leading to the fiddleyard have been completed. Could be better but as a scene break works.

still not really happy with the chemical works area, it’s not really coming together and still toying with it having one rather than two spurs 

E90CB314-6405-4DAB-85F6-881BB29C4C7F.jpeg

FB5288A9-64DE-49AA-A498-D556823FA876.jpeg

9B450985-7D38-4CE3-BE5E-41C30494B3D4.jpeg

9B5B431A-596A-4E22-BF02-1C303AF7B3AE.jpeg

5A9531B4-7AD1-4230-9C31-3AE47C4794B2.jpeg

• Like 2