Container lengths N Gauge

This may seem an odd question, but are the Farish 20 & 40ft containers which were sold in packs too long?

I am currently converting a Farish Intermodal into a Freightliner FSA, the deck length should be 18.38m (60ft) but when placing a Farish 20ft and 40ft container on the extended frame, they overhang by 3mm. I have the deck length at 120mm.

The 40ft is 83mm and the 20ft is 41mm, am I miscalculating?

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi

N is 1/148 scale so 20*12 = 240 * 25.4 = 6096 / 148 = 41.18mm so 41 is pretty close.

Similarly 40*12 = 480 * 25.4 = 12192 / 148 = 82.3mm

Your wagon should have a deck length of 124mm.

Does that explain it?

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Thanks 1

Yes it does, cheers, looks like the deck may need lengthening again!

I just worked out 2mm/ft and used a convertor for 18.38m to ft then converted to 2mm/ft if that makes sense (forgot I need to remember 1/148)! Fortunately its just the first wagon which playing around with. 

Cheers

Simon

The Farish intermodals are based on the wagons built for the Channel Tunnel services, TOPS coded FIA and IFA.  As such, they were designed to carry Swap-Bodies (either 1 x 13.6m or two of up to 7.4m), rather than ISO boxes. They can, of course, carry ISO boxes, but it's perhaps not the best use of them. The maximum they can accept is a 20' and a 30', though  a single 40' or 45' box, or a pair of 20' is more usual.

The FSA and FTA are designed purely and simply for ISO boxes, with fixed-position Twistlocks: those on the FIA/IFA can be moved to different positions dependent on the type of 'box' being carried.

The Freightliner and Railfreight Distribution wagons were delivered at the same time, from the same factory, so a degree of family resemblance is inevitable. The Freightliner ones have longer decks, however, whilst the raised section of floor for the drawgear is shorter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

The Farish intermodals are based on the wagons built for the Channel Tunnel services, TOPS coded FIA and IFA.  As such, they were designed to carry Swap-Bodies (either 1 x 13.6m or two of up to 7.4m), rather than ISO boxes. They can, of course, carry ISO boxes, but it's perhaps not the best use of them. The maximum they can accept is a 20' and a 30', though  a single 40' or 45' box, or a pair of 20' is more usual.

The FSA and FTA are designed purely and simply for ISO boxes, with fixed-position Twistlocks: those on the FIA/IFA can be moved to different positions dependent on the type of 'box' being carried.

The Freightliner and Railfreight Distribution wagons were delivered at the same time, from the same factory, so a degree of family resemblance is inevitable. The Freightliner ones have longer decks, however, whilst the raised section of floor for the drawgear is shorter.

Thanks for the info, just in process of converting a Intermodal into a FSA outer but did not stretch it enough to 60ft, got my measurements wrong (beer may have had some involvement).