Modern OO finescale concrete sleepered track

Mad McCann

5 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Do C&L no longer make concrete sleeper flexi track in OO?

I'm not aware they ever did. There was a "passage of arms" between DEMU and a previous proprietor of C+L some years ago - they asked him if he might consider introducing a moulded concrete sleeper dating from later than 1950 (apparently the individual concrete sleepers C+L produced were a 1940s GW type) only to be told that he had no interest in catering for post-steam modelling....

However I think they currently sell Exactoscale sleeper base

15 hours ago, njee20 said:

I thought Tillig was a better option for more prototypical HO/OO gauge track geometry? Being N I have neither option!

Geometry is good but I tried using it some years back and found it to be both extremely delicate to lay, and somewhat unreliable in operation, which was unacceptable for the price they charge. I had two Tillig HO turnouts break out of four (detached blades), one I could repair, the other no way, whereas I have never experienced such problems with Peco equipment. I know many people have used it successfully however, although others have had similar problems to me.

You certainly see it used far less on Continental layouts than you would expect.

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Ravenser said:

I'm not aware they ever did. There was a "passage of arms" between DEMU and a previous proprietor of C+L some years ago - they asked him if he might consider introducing a moulded concrete sleeper dating from later than 1950 (apparently the individual concrete sleepers C+L produced were a 1940s GW type) only to be told that he had no interest in catering for post-steam modelling....

However I think they currently sell Exactoscale sleeper base

They sure did, I have some of the stuff, stored in a cupboard for "later".

Its probably about 3 or four years ago that I bought it,

Some time ago someone suggested that for flexible track rather than the awkward current design of gaps on alternate sides in the webbing, there should be no webbing directly under the rail but instead be a continuous central web between sleepers.  This could be thin enough to ballast over and flexible enough to allow curvature.  When curved the sleepers would remain equispaced.......simple!

• Like 4