8x4 OO for kids

8 hours ago, Aire Head said:

@Nova Scotian did you get any further with this or has the plan changed?

I only get to work at it every two weeks and have been overtaken by events the last month or so. I have one of the four baseboards built, and what I need for the second.

I really liked this:

image.png.1cd8a7e1c7ad8018db7b73f35d6e80d1.png

I'm thinking about whether to do flexi track or set track - and the concerns of set-track on some of the curves with longer US outline stock.

I may also consider shifting that plan back a little - removing the outermost track (but still running a couple of non-prototypical sidings off at the corners. That gives me a little more depth at the front to put a feature in on one side eg port/quay.

The airfield in the middle they'll love. Engine shed is good. 

Need to identify somewhere they can "load" the livestock into the trucks.

This coming weekend I'll look at finalizing design and building the second baseboard. I'll be ready to lay track in May, which is fine because I have lots of airfix for them to build at the moment.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2020 at 23:28, Nova Scotian said:

I only get to work at it every two weeks and have been overtaken by events the last month or so. I have one of the four baseboards built, and what I need for the second.

I really liked this:

image.png.1cd8a7e1c7ad8018db7b73f35d6e80d1.png

I'm thinking about whether to do flexi track or set track - and the concerns of set-track on some of the curves with longer US outline stock.

I may also consider shifting that plan back a little - removing the outermost track (but still running a couple of non-prototypical sidings off at the corners. That gives me a little more depth at the front to put a feature in on one side eg port/quay.

The airfield in the middle they'll love. Engine shed is good. 

Need to identify somewhere they can "load" the livestock into the trucks.

This coming weekend I'll look at finalizing design and building the second baseboard. I'll be ready to lay track in May, which is fine because I have lots of airfix for them to build at the moment.

With two kids I'd really strongly recommend keeping the layout double track!

16 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

With two kids I'd really strongly recommend keeping the layout double track!

Oh yes, I would keep the double track!

I'd just consider pushing it back, so only three parallel tracks at the back (eg, the outer roundy track is pushed to the back edge), and use that space at the front for more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd recommend using setrack unless the curves can be eased considerably, though I take your point about long stock.  Flexi is not good at being forced into curves of radius much sharper than 24", which is larger than no.4 setrack radius; it is very difficult to keep it to a continuous radius and it's natural tendency is to form transition curves, which can result in very sharp curvature in the middle of the curved section.  This in turn raises the possibility, increasing to probability the sharper you go, of the rails being pulled out of gauge and ripped from the plastic chairs.  You are, IMHO, better off with rigid based setrack curves.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 12/03/2020 at 23:28, Nova Scotian said:

Its not so much choosing Set track or Flexi but code 100 or code 75.  Set track is code 100, as is some Streamline. If you go code 100 you can mix and match Set track and flexi.  I cut set track up just like flexi to get the right length straights and curves, and even ease the radius out on 2nd radius where I need a transition curve.  I use set track rail in flexi sleeper bases, haven't managed the other way round as the set track base always seems to disintegrate. I use Set track curves below 2ft radius, Set track straights where they need to be dead straight, flexi where I need sweeping curves, Streamline points wherever possible.  Set track wastes a huge amount of width, you don't need 60mm or even 50 track spacing in sidings , straight platforms, engine sheds etc.  Streamline short Y points are shorter than Set track. However I cut down Set track points to streamline track centres and live frog them to make really tight industrial type point work.

I thought US stock was 80 ft in 3.5mm scale which is shorter than 75ft in 4mm scale.

If your going to push it back and lose the loop and sidings at the back I'd be tempted to use the additional space to increase the radius on the curves and then see what space you have left.

I'd happily amended the plan apart from the fact my PC is currently dead :cray_mini:

3 hours ago, Aire Head said:

If your going to push it back and lose the loop and sidings at the back I'd be tempted to use the additional space to increase the radius on the curves and then see what space you have left.

I'd happily amended the plan apart from the fact my PC is currently dead :cray_mini:

No rush as I'm going to make the second baseboard this coming weekend - wish puts me on a late April timeframe to be finished with those before I can start making the gradients and laying track.

I'll be using code 100 - I have some older US and UK outline with pizza cutter wheels. It's for kids and not proto-typical so no concerns for me using code 100.

With the track plan airehead shared I think the inside curves are R2 not R1?

I was planning on trimming some of the points/switches etc if I do use set-track to pull the spacing in a bit.

56 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

No rush as I'm going to make the second baseboard this coming weekend - wish puts me on a late April timeframe to be finished with those before I can start making the gradients and laying track.

I'll be using code 100 - I have some older US and UK outline with pizza cutter wheels. It's for kids and not proto-typical so no concerns for me using code 100.

With the track plan airehead shared I think the inside curves are R2 not R1?

I was planning on trimming some of the points/switches etc if I do use set-track to pull the spacing in a bit.

Inner radius is first on the plan above which means tanks engines and short wheelbase stock only at present.

To be honest I'm planning to use code 100 for my upcoming project which is intended to be much more of a model than a trainset because I'm prioritising it working over appearance.

If you are going to be running bogie coaches I'd be hesitant to decrease the spacing between even if using 2nd radius.

• Like 1

I would lose the loop track behind the platform and go for 2nd radius on the inside and ease the tracks towards the upper baseboard edge to make space for it  as there are quite a few modern RTR Tank locos which can't get round 1st radius, though conversely the Hornby Tender drive 2-10-0 can get round sub 1st radius 13.5" curves as can 64ft Mk 1 coaches.     

• Agree 1

Do you reckon I could fit R2 in if I used some gradients? Eg. run one track under the other on the curves - it would mean the space available to climb the gradient may not be enough though? I'm happy with 4% as would be running short stock and half the fun for kids is seeing a train spinning its wheels as they add trucks...

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry there's no update here; due to travel restrictions I didn't have the days I expected to work on the second baseboard.

I now do not know when I will be returning to start this build.

I bid on some low priced locos on ebay to soothe my soul; the plan was to get a couple of cheap, rugged OO gauge the kids could repaint in their own liveries. I was outbid on the Airfix 14xx (which I coveted for myself), the Triang Jinty and HK era Bachmann J72. Got an Airfix/Mainlines LNER N2 though; and it's FAR too nice to repaint with the kids. I'll service it up and it can be in use when I'm there to supervise (along with some of the other nicer models).

Now no more ebay bidding though; while I've been extremely fortunate not to be laid off (I'm even busier than usual at work because of current crisis) I've had to drop some $$$ on improving my home office and ensuring adequate food stocks in two locations (before being prevented from going to one of them!).

Appreciate all the comments and advice - I'll let you know when I get started again.