80s/90s fire engines

ChrisH-UK

Seeing the announcement about RTI has got me fired up to move forward on some vehicle projects, one of them is fire engines/appliances in the NW of Eng.

Does anyone know the differences between body manufacturers for this time period or point me in the right direction? 

I'm looking at C or D plate Dodge Commandos (so RTI) and E or F plate Volvo FL6 vehicles (BW kit?), Cumbria used Carmichael bodies but most of the good photos and the BW model use Dennis bodies, to my untrained eye they look pretty similar but I could be making a huge mistake.

Volvo Carmichael (image (C) Delta64)  http://www.fireflash-delta64.co.uk/e994ahh[ak]01.jpg

Volvo Dennis (image (C) markkirk85) https://www.flickr.com/photos/26024754@N07/27993093783

• Like 1

I spent most of the 80s, 90s, and early 00s working with the Fire Service (mainly Cambs & Beds) on their radio schemes, including working on the appliances. It soon became apparent to me that the forces from different areas may have ordered nominally the same vehicles from a manufacturer (such as Dennis), but each order (even for the same brigade) was different. For instance, sizes and the use of bodyside compartments varied dependant upon the use that the vehicle was intended for, and indeed the whims of the person ordering. Trying to fit a radio system on each batch, and in different counties, soon showed up the differences in orders.

Stewartr 

Hi Chris

Re the differences - Cumbria machine has a recessed rear cab step, also the bodywork above the lockers slopes from the rear of the cab to the back of the vehicle, on the other it runs parallel with the top of the lockers for the whole length of the vehicle. 

The also have different style lights and ladder arrangements. 

Depends how much of a compromise you are willing to make. 

Langley Miniature Models do a 1/76 Leyland Freighter pump, ref G185, with Lancashire markings. 

Far as I can see it represents one of the D-H reg machines. The various batches having bodywork by either Fulton & Wylie, Mountain Range or Reynolds Boughton but looking almost identical. 

The Fireflash Delta 64 website is probably the most comprehensive record on the internet and is a superb reference. 

Which NW brigades are you interested in? 

Regards

Phil

The problem in general with the Mil Mod models are there decals. Not the quality, but the reality.

So check before if it's right with all markings or are they fictional.

The instruction is only a small drawing, no part numbers and mostly not all parts in the drawing.

It's only a kit for "must have".

modelldoc

18 hours ago, Phil R said:

Re the differences - Cumbria machine has a recessed rear cab step, also the bodywork above the lockers slopes from the rear of the cab to the back of the vehicle, on the other it runs parallel with the top of the lockers for the whole length of the vehicle. 

The also have different style lights and ladder arrangements. 

Thanks Phil,

I'd missed the rear cab step, thanks for that spot, I had noticed the sloping bodywork though, and reckon I could make that mod, I also expected to be farting about with the light arrangement. Stewartr's post has me both reassured and concerned, do I say 'stuff changes all the time' and make close enough into good enough or do I fall down yet another rabbithole of detail?

18 hours ago, Phil R said:

The Fireflash Delta 64 website is probably the most comprehensive record on the internet and is a superb reference. 

Which NW brigades are you interested in? 

Yep it really is superb, it first kindled my interest. It is the Carlisle area I'm interested in, and that has enough info to model virtually any vehicle. I also came across an excel spreadsheet which lists appliances for what looks like all the modern brigades. For Cumbria it goes back as far as a single T reg vehicle and gives type, reg, chassis, body, and where it was based (lots of gaps).

I thought I had found a BW model for sale, the site allowed me to place an order but didn't take any billing info, so I don't expect to see any suspicious CC activity but I don't expect to see a parcel showing up on my door either.

2 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

BW model no longer exist.

You can only buy some repop kits from MIlMod.

They all are in resin now.

modelldoc

This appeared to be someone selling old stock, but I guess it was someone who turned off the e-commerce part of their site but left the storefront active