I've been searching on eBay and the internet in general, but have failed to find a single image of the model lifting bridge that was available in the 70s/80s and which featured in a series of articles by David Andress about his Westport Branch (8x4 oval with a harbour in the centre). This afternoon I was glancing through "Scenic Railway Modelling" by Michael Andress and there was an article by David about planning and modelling the harbour, but with no mention of the bridge itself. I've attached two (poor) iPad photos of the photos in the book in the hopes that someone may be able to identify the manufacturer of the bridge so I can hunt one down for my own layout!  Remembering how quickly my loco query was answered, perhaps I might get a solution before being told to take down copyrighted material!

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

Edited by SteveyDee68
Corrected typos
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Isn't that the same one that was sold by Hornby in the 70s?

There were several pola kits in Hornby boxes, the mainline station factory and a goods depot amongst them 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, russ p said:

Isn't that the same one that was sold by Hornby in the 70s?

There were several pola kits in Hornby boxes, the mainline station factory and a goods depot amongst them 

Yes

R 195 Looks the same

805-2012424162523_468x382.jpg

Been on RMWeb before

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111359-in-1970-1980-Hornby-swing-lift-bridge/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the responses, and the redirection onto the previous thread. I've spent an interesting day searching for every variation of this kit, and nobody seems to want to have one to sell! (Oh, okay, the Tyco version was 1978 so obviously this is classed as "vintage" and is long out of stock!). The Walters one is huge compared to the Pola/Hornby/Tyco/Atlas/Model Power versions and also expensive ($84 plus) and the Faller one needs a lot of modification (note the ultra modern screams "German" control cabin!). 

Looks like a build it myself job! Surprised nobody has filled the gap in the market for this kind of bridge (Lasercut card or 3D printed perhaps?)

Cheers

Steve

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Mersey507003 said:

This is probably a daft question but how is power put through the track on the section that lifts.

Just thought I should because a few years ago, I had an idea of trying to make a lifting bridge from scratch.  1st question my dad asked me was how would power be put through the rails on what would essentially be an isolated section.

I haven't thought too much about it, but I think I would use a reed switch with a magnet attached to the bridge, so that the switch is open if the deck is 'missing'.

I would use the reed switch to power a relay, with the required contacts wired to isolate the approach track(s), if no deck. Also switch power to approach tracks & deck itself, if deck is correctly in position.

Tests would need to be conducted on how far back, to put gaps in the approach track. Watch out for locos with flywheels, DCC 'Stay Alive' and any trains with a 'loco' not at the front- such as an HST! Perhaps even consider shorting the rails, if the deck is out of position!

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, melmerby said:

Even the same picture on the box, with a German loco that was certainly not part of the Hornby range.

As to controlling track power when it is open, why not stick to prototype principles. There would need to be home signals either side of the bridge. Power to bridge motor controlled via extra contacts on the signals (electrical interlocking) so that bridge can only be operated when both signals are at danger. Current to isolated track sections via extra contacts on signals so that only on when the one of the signals is at "clear".

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mersey507003 said:

This is probably a daft question but how is power put through the track on the section that lifts.

Just thought I should because a few years ago, I had an idea of trying to make a lifting bridge from scratch.  1st question my dad asked me was how would power be put through the rails on what would essentially be an isolated section.

I have four hinged lifting sections on my layout and I have microswitches operating a relay board (home made) which cuts power completely to the all track.

(I have no need/desire to power the track when the sections are up.)

Unfortunately they don't look like bridges but could be made to do so.

I do like the idea of that Pola/Hornby rolling bascule bridge, that rolls back as it lifts, the metal box extending above the track is the counterbalance,

In real life they needed little power to operate being fairly well balanced.

Here's the ultimate, Double track, double leaf, complete with OHLE:

Rollklappbr%C3%BCcke_in_Oldenburg.jpg

Another view (how does the elecktrickery work?)

https://goo.gl/maps/8bVFMXpCUwVf7r5s8

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, russ p said:

Going off topic slightly, is there a list anywhere of the pola kits which Hornby did? I seem to remember some half decent kits back in the day

Edition 20 of the catalogue reveals 8.

R190 Country Cottage

R191 Coaling Stage

R192 Goods Shed

R193 Village Shop

R194 Petrol Station

R195 Lifting Bridge

R196 Bungalow

R197 Factory & Warehouse

1978 24th edition

R195 & 197 gone.

1979 25th edition all gone.

Presumably they bought a batch and once sold...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

I have four hinged lifting sections on my layout and I have microswitches operating a relay board (home made) which cuts power completely to the all track.

(I have no need/desire to power the track when the sections are up.)

Unfortunately they don't look like bridges but could be made to do so.

I do like the idea of that Pola/Hornby rolling bascule bridge, that rolls back as it lifts, the metal box extending above the track is the counterbalance,

In real life they needed little power to operate being fairly well balanced.

Here's the ultimate, Double track, double leaf, complete with OHLE:

Rollklappbr%C3%BCcke_in_Oldenburg.jpg

Another view (how does the elecktrickery work?)

https://goo.gl/maps/8bVFMXpCUwVf7r5s8

There is a similar bridge at Sete in southern France between Beziers and Montpellier. Discussed the working on an RMweb thread.

In normal use there, the wire on the bridge is not connected and trains coast across with pantographs lowered. I think it can be connected if necessary when a train gets "gapped".

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I note that there is also a rotating/swing bridge in the Walther's range. That has a rather more UK look to it and US$20 cheaper.

I did link to a Walthers one some  posts ago but the Pola/Hornby one is IMHO more like the one at Keadby which is a rolling bascule, whereas the Walthers on is a counterbalanced bascule (separate weight and mechanism.)

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Mersey507003 said:

So in a sense the wire on the bridge is just another form of a 25Kv OHLE neutral secrion but with the difference that it could go live if required.

Good idea, it negates the risk of a huge bang caused by a flashover.

At Sete, it is 1.5kVdc so perhaps even more risks as the amperage will be so much higher.

The double bascule bridge in the pic is in Germany so 15kVac

There is an electrified railway bridge at Trowse, Norfolk. Although it is a swing bridge, rather than a lifting one, the issue of maintaining the continuity of power supply still arises:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trowse_Bridge

There is a poster on RMWeb who can probably provide much more detail about the bridge, as it was part of his fiefdom before he retired.

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 months later...

Well, I just found one from Trainz , an eBay seller on www.ebay.com

However, at a cool $100 + $32.42 shipping + $31.82 import charges, I think I will pass and continue with my plans to replicate it!

Shocked? You betcha! LOL

Steve S

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Well, I just found one from Trainz , an eBay seller on www.ebay.com

However, at a cool $100 + $32.42 shipping + $31.82 import charges, I think I will pass and continue with my plans to replicate it!

Shocked? You betcha! LOL

Steve S

Recently an HO one went in an auction for £137:

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/26684889-pola-h0-scenery-electric-folding-bridge-with-bascule-bridge-control-housing

An N for £159:

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/27079753-pola-n-scenery-bascule-bridge

Both from Modelspoorbahn in Netherlands

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1