GWR 4mm sprung coach buffers?

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, timbowilts said:

Dart Castings item 2330S are sprung square shank buffers, temporarily out of stock though

The buffers housings are square but the shanks themselves are round on these.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I think they are available from Model Railway Developments?

Hubert's buffers are similar to the Dart ones in that they have rectangular stocks but round shanks.

Chris

On 20/05/2019 at 23:17, pete_mcfarlane said:

Here's a set on my Comet C54. They come with both round and oval heads. The one problem is forming the large round heads to shape - I ended acquiring a set of cheap doming punches.

What size punch did you use?  The cheapest sets only go up to 11mm which seems too small.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if the blue based buffer is available anywhere?  I think MJT do the round base.  Both types were used on Dean era coaches.  Initially the round base on 4 & 6 wheelers and the rectangular on bogie coaches.  It appears that some short coaches had their buffers changed to the recantgular type later.

122350467_Earlybuffers.jpg.963de05c5d585d46d203efd1d8244d74.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but...

I have a set that came in an old Mainly Trains 4 wheel chassis kit. Other than that I don't know where Dave sourced them from, either his own or from elsewhere. Couldn't see the same ones on Wizard's website.

The square-based version of the Dean coach-buffer is the one that fits on a 9" headstock, I think. The round-based one  seems to have a wider base.  

I need some of the square-based variant myself for some fruit vans, and was planning to print them.