Modelling some diesels in North Devon

Georgeham

• RMweb Gold

Looks very convincing to me, especially the 'dusk' image. Would love to see more, I'm just starting out on a North Devon line layout set in late 70s-early 80s, but won't have anything ready to show for a while.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

thanks for all the kind comments and likes - it is much appreciated.

Connor - I used the express models lighting kits - I have been experimenting around with a few types of lighting kits - but I do like the effect of the Express Models ones.  The key thing is to make sure the gap between the roof and coach sides is filled in and blacked out to stop light bleed.

IMG_5853.JPG

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Nice layout. I'd be interested to hear more about the iphone speakers for the sound systems. I've seen a Youtube video of a Class 50 using one, and the sound was superb. Reading up as best as I could, I was never sure whether there was a danger of blowing a decoder or speaker, etc, due to unmatched components in the circuitry. Any views and thoughts welcome. 

aac 

On 23/05/2019 at 18:12, aac said:

Nice layout. I'd be interested to hear more about the iphone speakers for the sound systems. I've seen a Youtube video of a Class 50 using one, and the sound was superb. Reading up as best as I could, I was never sure whether there was a danger of blowing a decoder or speaker, etc, due to unmatched components in the circuitry. Any views and thoughts welcome. 

aac 

Hi aac,

thanks for the comments - as for the the Iphone speakers - I use the double ones supplied by Road and Rails (I am a very satisfied customer!).  They work fine with Loksound V4 decoders - but if you are not sure talk to them - whenever I have had a query they have been really helpful.  In my opinion the sound reproduction is the best I have heard for their size. 

On 23/05/2019 at 04:28, Georgeham said:

Hi All,

thanks for all the kind comments and likes - it is much appreciated.

Connor - I used the express models lighting kits - I have been experimenting around with a few types of lighting kits - but I do like the effect of the Express Models ones.  The key thing is to make sure the gap between the roof and coach sides is filled in and blacked out to stop light bleed.

IMG_5853.JPG

Thanks Very Much. Are you DCC, do you power it from the track?

Regards Connor

• Like 1

On 27/05/2019 at 20:16, Georgeham said:

Hi aac,

thanks for the comments - as for the the Iphone speakers - I use the double ones supplied by Road and Rails (I am a very satisfied customer!).  They work fine with Loksound V4 decoders - but if you are not sure talk to them - whenever I have had a query they have been really helpful.  In my opinion the sound reproduction is the best I have heard for their size. 

Cheers. I'll look into that.

aac

• Like 1

Hi Connor - I am DCC - I love having the sound in the trains.

Express Models do DCC ready lighting kits.  It does take a little effort - but the effect is definitely worth it

You just have to be really careful about getting a light-proof seal between the body and the roof to stop any light bleed.

I take the coach apart completely, all the glazing, etc, weather and then reassemble, add microstrip and glue and glaze between the roof and the sides - as per the photo of the upside down body shell.

IMG_5755.JPG

IMG_5756.JPG

IMG_5852.JPG

• Like 8

So a little bit more about the rolling stock on the layout i I am slowly building up the right stock for the layout from a mixture of kit built and detailed ready to run wagons.  I recently finished a Dance Hall brake van - this is a cambrian kit.  It is being run within an engineers rake at the moment.  I love cambrian kits, although they do require a little bit of work to get the best from them.  I was not entirely happy with this build and plan to do another one soon, to get it right!  Anyhow the results will do for now and it looks fine from a normal viewing distance....

IMG_6379.JPG

IMG_6175a.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

A rare day of modelling has transpired today.  The layout is heading out to its first exhibition at the end of June. So today was spent doing some odd bits of detailing - a bit of grass here and there, as well as some more trees behind the station.  I have also finished fitting a sound chip to a detailed Warship and this has it first run out today.  The warship was a second hand bargain which I have detailed, although there was absolutely no room for a speaker inside.  I fitted a tiny speaker, but the sound reproduction is suitably small too.  Hopefully it looks ok! Anyhow some snaps of the layout ready for the exhibition.

IMG_6850.JPG

IMG_6771.JPG

IMG_6801.JPG

IMG_6775.JPG

IMG_6819.JPG

• Like 16

• 1 month later...

Well last weekend I did my first exhibition - it was at the Bluebell weekend.  It was very relaxed and I learnt a lot through doing - not least I lost a class 45 to a clumsy woman who knocked it to the floor and it now refuses to do anything but crawl along.  Anyhow - here are a few shots of the layouts outing - I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the layout worked pretty much perfectly!  This weekend is being spent tidying up the baseboards for another show next weekend at Pevensey. 

IMG_6894.JPG

IMG_6898.JPG

IMG_6897.JPG

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Glad you enjoyed the exhibition despite the flying 45 incident :( . I must admit, on first reading, I thought it was the woman who refuses to do anything but crawl along! ;) Nice to see some wider views to get an idea of the overall layout too.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

That's a fine layout you have there Georgeham, do you have a track plan? Your stock looks nicely weathered too, did you do it all yourself? 

Cant wait to see more pics and good luck with your show this weekend.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Having seen the layout today at the Pevensey MRC exhibition, I can only say how delightful it is. A simple track plan, Scenery very well done, the sound on the loco's at just the right level, not too over powering, and movements kept me wanting to stand and watch it.

Colin

• Thanks 1

On 18/07/2019 at 21:32, sb67 said:

That's a fine layout you have there Georgeham, do you have a track plan? Your stock looks nicely weathered too, did you do it all yourself? 

Cant wait to see more pics and good luck with your show this weekend.

Steve.

Thanks Steve for the kind comment.  Yes I detail all the stock myself.  I use an airbrush and fit generally Howes DCC sound into the locomotives.  I am not sure if I have a pic showing the track plan - I will see if I can dig one out!

• Thanks 1

On 16/07/2019 at 23:40, Ramblin Rich said:

Glad you enjoyed the exhibition despite the flying 45 incident :( . I must admit, on first reading, I thought it was the woman who refuses to do anything but crawl along! ;) Nice to see some wider views to get an idea of the overall layout too.

Hi Rich - no woman was harmed during the destruction of the class 45!!!  :lol:

On 18/07/2019 at 21:21, Brinkly said:

Lovely little layout George, full of character.

Kind regards,

Nick

Thanks Nick - much appreciated!

• Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, ColinW said:

Having seen the layout today at the Pevensey MRC exhibition, I can only say how delightful it is. A simple track plan, Scenery very well done, the sound on the loco's at just the right level, not too over powering, and movements kept me wanting to stand and watch it.

Colin

Hi Colin,

it was a pleasure to meet you and stop and have a chat.  Thank you for the very kind comment - much appreciated!

• Thanks 1

So having been at the Pevensey show this weekend a few more pics of the layout in operation. The show was very busy and lots of people stopped to have a chat which made it very worthwhile.  I had a few errors with point setting, sending the trains in the wrong direction - but otherwise the layout performed faultlessly! Great fun - but definitely exhausting as a one man show!

IMG_7052.JPG

IMG_7033.JPG

IMG_7043.JPG

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I have been working on the weathering on some milk tankers for the Charlton layout.  There is not much choice for the 6 wheel milk tankers - so I am going with the Dapol version.  I know this wagon contains a multitude of sins, but I think it can be made to look like passable, generic representation of a milk tanker.  Anyhow, first attempt on the left and second attempt on the right, being shunted on the Charlton layout.  The tanker on the left came preweathered and required a lot of work to disguise a bad paint job. The one on the right was a pristine finished which I weathered with vertical streaks.  Both have various details on the chassis picked out with paint.

IMG_7050.JPG

IMG_7048.JPG

• Like 9