Modelling some diesels in North Devon

Georgeham

On 18/07/2019 at 21:32, sb67 said:

That's a fine layout you have there Georgeham, do you have a track plan? Your stock looks nicely weathered too, did you do it all yourself? 

Cant wait to see more pics and good luck with your show this weekend.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I could not find a picture of the whole layout - but this is as close as I could find - showing the general trackplan during construction.

The second one has the final board with the exit to the fiddle yard missing (so just the first two 3ft by 1ft scenic baords)

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_6418.JPG

• Like 12

• 2 months later...

Tomorrow I am exhibiting Charlton at the Brighton Model Railway Exhibition - if you are about it would be great too see you!

For tomorrow I managed to finish off detailing a class 47.  It is fitted with a Howes sound chip and sounds fantastic (IMO)!

Meanwhile a couple of shots of her snapped at Charlton this evening (whilst track cleaning!)

P1030862.JPG

IMG_7309.JPG

• Like 6

Have just finished the Brighton MRC show.  A really friendly club and a very family orientated show.  All in all an exhausting but really fun weekend.  A friend of mine shot a couple of videos on the Sat - so one of the class 22 pottering about.

WhatsApp_Video_2019-11-16_at_20_37.54_-_Copy.mp3

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-16 at 20.37.12.jpeg

Edited by Georgeham
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

It has been a little while since I posted on here - so I hope one and all had a very merry Christmas and are looking forward to the new year.  Over the last couple of days I have found some modelling time - most modelling had stopped in the run up to Christmas.  Feeling somewhat inspired I thought I would show off some more of the stock on Charlton.

One of my favourite locomotive on the layout is this Heljan Western.  I took about 3 years to complete it, but it is now a regular turn, primarily due to the ease of being able to couple it up to the coaching stock easily - it is fitted with Howes DCC sound.

IMG_5341.JPG

• Like 5

A regular local passenger service is also provided by a Dapol class 122 DMU.  The sound chip is Howes, although it takes a bit of timing to drive this one into the station correctly.  The Dapol paint finish wasn't great and the weathering I did seemed to attack the original finish somewhat (this has never happened with a Bachmann or Heljan locomotive).  Anyhow, after some fiddling around it turned out ok.

IMG_6261.JPG

IMG_6273.JPG

• Like 8

On 05/01/2020 at 17:13, mudmagnet said:

Excellent work!

Really like the weathering on the 52!

Thanks Mudmagnet - it was a long job and was a first attempt at chipped paintwork, but I was really happy with the outcome in the end.  It has a road and rails double iphone speaker and Howes DCC sound file - it sounds fantastic too!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

These are very strange days and I hope everyone is safe and well.

Before the world went crazy I did m first exhibition of the year at East Grinstead.  If was a very friendly show and I had a good two days operating the layout.  During the odd quiet moment I managed to get around to the front of layout and take a couple of pics.

IMG_7532.JPG

IMG_7537.JPG

IMG_7539.JPG

P1030882.JPG

• Like 14

• 2 months later...

I have recently managed to put up the layout and gain a bit of running time, so I thought I might share a few more snaps of Charlton.

I am about to embark on a more ambitious layout (the relevant planning authorities have been consulted and permission has been given!), as I now have a little more room.  I am not sure what to do with this layout now, so in the mean time here are some pictures of it running.  

Last night a class 22 was snapped on an engineers train.

IMG_7809.JPG

IMG_7810.JPG

IMG_7820.JPG

IMG_7816 (2).JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A little time has passed since my last post (where does the time go??), so I though I might share a pic or two of my recently finished Sturgeon wagon.  It is the Cambrian kit and I finally managed to get the transfers put on last week.  All in all, I am pretty happy with how this one turned out!

IMG_7981.JPG

IMG_7985.JPG

IMG_8004.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely looking Sturgeon. It seems to occupy a large chunk of the available space!
Backtracking a little, can I ask which milk tankers you've used? I'd like a rake for my layout, but Lima would need re-wheeling and I've heard the Dapol version has or had some trouble with running.

• Thanks 1

On 18/10/2020 at 19:52, Grampus said:

Well done indeed.  Your sturgeon looks top drawer!  Love the whole ambiance of your layout - quietly understated with workaday locos going about their business.

Best wishes, 

Paul

Hi Paul - thank you for the kind comments.  Am running the Sturgeon today on the layout - will post a few more pics later

• Like 1

On 18/10/2020 at 20:42, Ramblin Rich said:

Lovely looking Sturgeon. It seems to occupy a large chunk of the available space!
Backtracking a little, can I ask which milk tankers you've used? I'd like a rake for my layout, but Lima would need re-wheeling and I've heard the Dapol version has or had some trouble with running.

HI Rich,

I used have the Dapol wagons.  The model includes a multitude of sins, but I went for this option, as that is about all there is and they can be made to look passable.  I take the wagon apart, then clean up the mouldings, before weathering them.  They run ok on the layout, in the limited space I have available.  However, the do not like tight curves and will buffer lock on them using 3 link couplings.  I have large turnouts on the layout and they will traverse these OK.  Good luck with you rake!

Edited by Georgeham
  • Thanks 1

Liking the dance hall riding van and the Salmon too!  Often wondered what these things look like after you take them out of polythene bag and actually do something with them ...  :jester:   think I may need to try harder!   Thanks for posting. 

Best wishes, Paul

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of years ago, when I did my first exhibition, a woman crashed a wheelchair into my layout and sent my class 45 to the concrete floor.  In the two years or so since, I have been slowly doing a new model, to replace the old one, cannibalising a few parts etc.  Today I managed to put the 'new' class 45 back together.  I have given it a quick check over and it all seems to work fine, but needs a proper running session.  It has Howes sound and a Road and Rails double Iphone speaker. 

It was caught at Charlton station c. 1979!

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-10 at 18.33.30.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...

This week I have managed to finish off (nearly) the detailing of a class 50, some good old west country motive power.  This is the Hornby model - well more like it is a hybrid of 2 of them - the original model had a faulty PCB board from new that I could not replace, so it has a chassis borrowed from another class 50, to enable it to run.  It has had multiple coats applied to the body to achieve a little tonal variation and is fitted with a Howes sound chip (it sounds great!).  It runs like a dream, with the fan removed.  However, replacing the glazing and doors after painting the body shell was nothing short of a total nightmare (it tested my patience somewhat).  The glazing needs replacing (although I can live with it for now - getting the body on and off is very difficult I find).  I also need to finish the headcode properly - but overall I am pretty happy with it!

It is seen here at Charlton station shunting some engineers wagons (a walrus and a whale wagon).  

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-08 at 17.21.05 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-08 at 17.21.06 (1).jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1