Ruston 48DS delivery date

spikey

According to Hornby this morning, expected date of delivery of the 48DS is now August.  Maybe it'll actually be here in time for Christmas, provided of course that you got your order in before it sold out ...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, spikey said:

I may well be wrong, but I could have sworn that when I ordered mine it was due in March ...

When I ordered mine back in January from a well known NW based retailer, it was July. Different liveries might have been earlier, I suppose. 

5 hours ago, Heritage Tim said:

Would much rather have a model delayed by a few months and then be wowed by it, rather than a model which has been rushed to meet a deadline but with glaring errors.

So would I.  But I'd like it even better if they quoted 12 months and delivered in 11.   If I was running the show, I'd get a realistic estimated delivery date, add three months, quote that and hope to actually get goods in punters' hands sooner than they were expecting.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, spikey said:

So would I.  But I'd like it even better if they quoted 12 months and delivered in 11.   If I was running the show, I'd get a realistic estimated delivery date, add three months, quote that and hope to actually get goods in punters' hands sooner than they were expecting.

Try ordering Bachmann. Quoted 12 months, delivered in 39.....

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Fireline said:

Try ordering Bachmann. Quoted 12 months, delivered in 39.....

I don't know what Bachmann quoted for the H2, but it took closer to five years.

I keep a record of my pre-orders....  :jester:

Nothing grand, just a text file detailing when I placed the pre-order, the model number and description, who from, how much I paid/deposit and balance/was liable for,  Due date on ordering and following due dates as they are announced.

I pre-ordered Ruston R3704 and Peckett B2 R3694 on 20/01/19 The Ruston was then due in May, the Peckett in March.  Currently the due dates are August and July respectively.  I believe there was some loose talk about both being available Q1/early Q2 when they were announced, but the due dates on the 20th Jan were May for the Ruston and March for the Peckett.  The slippage is not that bad!

Just for comparison, I ordered the Hornby Club H class on 23/02/18, with a due date then of October 2018.  Currently its due this month (ie 7 months late so far) but there's only 10 more days left before its June and not a dickybird so far....

8 hours ago, spikey said:

You don't know if thats what they're doing anyway, and are being continually let down by their suppliers.  Push it too far in advance and it discourages pre-orders and tells competitors what you (the manufacturer) are up to, which might not be good news (eg the Large Prairie shootout with Dapol, which Hornby won).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What's the rush? A mere six months ago no one was even considering the possibility of a RTR 48DS beyond the walls of Hornby HQ!

Sure it'd be nice to have it now, but if my two are delayed for a year I'll still not have built the layouts I am thinking of for them to run on....

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 2 months later...
On 21/05/2019 at 15:57, Hroth said:

I keep a record of my pre-orders....  :jester:

Nothing grand, just a text file detailing when I placed the pre-order, the model number and description, who from, how much I paid/deposit and balance/was liable for,  Due date on ordering and following due dates as they are announced.

I pre-ordered Ruston R3704 and Peckett B2 R3694 on 20/01/19 The Ruston was then due in May, the Peckett in March. 

Can I please ask from whom you ordered them? It's just that I've never done any of this pre-ordering thing before but I remember going on the Hornby website the day the Rustons and Pecketts were announced on here and ordering one Ruston and one Peckett. Prompted by reading this thread I have gone back into my email inbox from that time but can't find any emails from Hornby confirming that I have placed an order.

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Can I please ask from whom you ordered them? It's just that I've never done any of this pre-ordering thing before but I remember going on the Hornby website the day the Rustons and Pecketts were announced on here and ordering one Ruston and one Peckett. Prompted by reading this thread I have gone back into my email inbox from that time but can't find any emails from Hornby confirming that I have placed an order.

You can check you pre orders on the Hornby website. Log in then go to account and orders.

14 hours ago, bigherb said:

You can check you pre orders on the Hornby website. Log in then go to account and orders.

Thanks. I tried that but when I put my email address in and the password it tells me that they don't match. Clicking on the 'forgot password' thing doesn't do anything. It just goes to the original log in, so I can't even log in to that at all.

On 20/05/2019 at 21:55, spikey said:

I may well be wrong, but I could have sworn that when I ordered mine it was due in March ...

That's one of those strange English spellings: it's spelt M-A-R-C-H, but it's pronounced "AU-gust"! :jester: :jester:

p.s. I am looking forward to getting one of these myself. The longer it takes, the better condition my wallet is in, though!

Edited by SRman
  • Funny 3

I have asked the big "H" to notify me when the Dewers Distillery version is in stock. Dewers in Aberfeldy once had a connection to the long gone station there, but they have a steam loco ( Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 sdddle tank ) and a wagon on a plinth, where I believe was their private sidings. It's a few years since I visited it, but I don't recall seeing any pictures of the Ruston.. I'm due to visit family in Pitlochry in a couple of months, so I feel a field trip is in order ( only 10 miles ish), research for a small shunting industrial layout in mind. It's a shame whiskey doesn't like me, otherwise that would be another excuse to visit!!? Now if they did brandy and gluten free beer.....................!!!.?

Tod

Edited by SweenyTod1
Loco indentification

Got the same info yesterday. A bit annoying though, as I was ready with the dosh for one and  one of "Hs" Barclays. I can get the latter now, but shared postage would be better. I just hope that the Ruston doesn't get pushed back indefinitely. Now that would be really annoying!!

Tod

• 2 weeks later...

I also got the Rails email, Hornby are still saying "Autumn". 

I wonder what the Hornby Autumn is based around?  Is it:

• Meterological Autumn, starting 1st September, ending 30th November.
  • Astronomical Autumn, starting 23rd September, ending  21st December.
  • Something completely different, invented by Marketing...

Anyhow, we'll just have to wait and see.  :scratchhead:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2