Railcam uk.. the future of train spotting?

matt-b

So I stumbled across Rail Cam UK on YouTube.

Surely this is the future, live webcams in busy locations and with the aid of Real Time Trains I can watch it at just the correct moment, then go back to mowing the grass, cooking diner etc etc..

Be interested to see more locations added too.

Whats people's thoughts?

Thanks.

Surely the whole point of 'spotting' is that you actually have to see the loco - or whatever - with your own peepers ............... watching via a video link is only a 21st century version of the Ian Allan Combo - an' we know everything's in there already !

• Agree 1

I have to confess a certain addiction to railcam.uk, as it allows me to see things that would normally pass me by.

For example, at the weekend, I was able to follow the steam specials heading to/from Carlisle at various railcams, plus watch the final HSTs on the Great Western. And then to end it all, an incredible sunset at Corfe Castle.

There is also plenty of information on the railcam.uk website, such as live diagrams showing where trains are across most of the network, working timetables etc. This requires a donation of £20 per annum to become a supporter and gain access to it. Definitely one of the best £20s I have spent recently.

The images are copyright of railcam.uk, and they have given me permission to post the following show from Saturday evening.

Corfe_(2436).jpg

Edited by 87029
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I like the heritage railway ones. They've even made me want to visit them and most of them are quite far away for me. But I've already looked into visiting the WSR and NYMR in the near future. I can't be bothered with the "big" railway ones though. I might as well go and look at the real thing.

Didn't know the Swanage had one though. Another one to look at. :D

Jason

The website is http://www.railcam.uk/

On the menu bar running across the top of the page, click on "Donate" and you are presented with a number of options to cover different membership times. Click on the one you want to choose, and then click on the "Paypal - Click here to pay" button.

Once you have joined, you have access to all the railcams, and a host of information. If in doubt, there is a chat facility, and you can ask any questions on there - there are plenty of helpful people to assist.

I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been painting my garden fence, a bit at a time, over the past week, and will shortly be setting up a webcam to allow people to watch the paint dry, and simultaneously watch grass grow on our ‘lawn’.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

18 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve been painting my garden fence, a bit at a time, over the past week, and will shortly be setting up a webcam to allow people to watch the paint dry, and simultaneously watch grass grow on our ‘lawn’.

is it free, or do i need to donate.

PS. What colour is the paint

For those of us overseas a great advantage but sadly a problem has developed whereupon I have trouble with the  picture still, and no one seems to know what the problem is.:ireful:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Hmmmm ........ Very large donation.

Sage green/grey; you couldn’t watch nicer paint dry.

Not a large donation at all - especially as the signal maps are part of the package.

As per most things - if you don't want to pay and watch, don't - but then leave those of us who do to get on with it without comment.

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Will there be sound as well?

I'm not sure that sarcasm as humour translates to Internet forums very well. 

I enjoy watching the cameras occasionally when I have nothing else to do. They keep me connected to the current scene, when otherwise I would have lost interest. I am certainly not going to travel around the country and sit on Slough or Watford station observing the trains go by in a howling gale and driving rain - but I can do this with the webcams. 

In the winter, one of my favourite pastimes on a crisp cold morning is to put the Ribblehead camera on full screen and watch the sunlight appear on the snow covered bulk that is Whernside. Yes, I am that sad; but being a Pisces person that is part of my astrological makeup - according to SWMBO anyway.