Who has modelled the WR mainline?

I am working up details for an 00 gauge model of the WR relief lines to the mainlines around Maidenhead c1960.

Has anyone made a model of anywhere on this line between say Acton and Reading, or gathered information such as WTTs, Carriage diagrams or Loco diagrams for a future project?

Photos of trains particularly freights and suburban passenger trains or details of the train/consist/loco from such photos would be useful.

Additionally I would be interested in learning details of the timetable you operated, the compromises you had to live with, and the train formations/locos used?

Many thanks

Best regards

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul, welcome to RMWeb.

Modelling Maidenhead, that sounds firstly great and then secondly a bit daunting. The amount of space and stock you would need will be huge! Good luck with this, it will be interesting to see how it develops.

As you will see from my thread, I am building a model of Henley on Thames. As part of my research a few years ago I went to Henley library and trawled through the local paper and found odd details that I would still like to use. Local traders adverts were of interest, details of excursions etc. 

Excursions were interesting, in as much as trains were advertised to “Weymouth” or similar for the day, by doing further digging, it transpired that some of these “excursion trains” were simply service trains, change at such and such to get to the destination. But others were true excursion, with special trains laid on.

Photos have come from a variety of places and I regularly trawl through web sources looking to see if there is anything “new”; eBay; Transport Treasury etc.

Our greatest source of anything GWR on here, particularly that part of the Thames Valley, is “The Stationmaster” aka Mike. He has been a great source of information over the years and is well worth messaging.

Other sources will be the GWS; NRM archives at York; GW study group; GWR.org.uk; plus of course all books on the GWR.

Good luck with the project.

Neal.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 28/05/2019 at 06:37, Neal Ball said:

Modelling Maidenhead, that sounds firstly great and then secondly a bit daunting. The amount of space and stock you would need will be huge! Good luck with this, it will be interesting to see how it develops.

Oooh, here's one I prepared earlier! ;-)

Maidenhead_AnyRail7.png.ec7574eb2a0b391cb30f3b19f2658560.png

That's a one metre grid, so about 20 metres or 60+ feet long.

I hasten to add - I don't actually intent building this - probably several £1,000's worth of track alone? It was just an exercise in improving my track modelling skills, especially with acute angle points and diamond crossings. Lots of those at Maidenhead!

• Like 5

I didn't say I was modelling the whole of Maidenhead!

My model focuses on the area from the west end of the platforms to the east end of the goods shed on the relief lines and up to the first over bridge on the branch.

So it is "sort of" the diagonal rectangle in the middle of Keith's plan with the addition of part of the relief lines, the loops to the relief line, and the goods shed line.

There are two versions yet to be decided between. They are both 12ft x8ft round and round layouts one with the branch line outside the relief lines and one with the branch inside.

This means that I have to compromise on train lengths so loco plus 5 coaches or 15 wagons is the norm.

The "branch Inside the circuit" version has a more realistic start to the branch with it curving away to disappear under the first over bridge, whereas the  "branch outside the circuit" version has a better treatment of the goods yard all be it on the wrong side of the relief lines with the branch on the right side but climbing up an embankment, to disappear behind houses while curving the wrong way to reality!

However, the operation of the branch in the "branch outside the circuit" version is better as it has two fiddle yards, one inside the circuit and one at a higher level over the main fiddle yard.

But the "branch inside" version has the benefit of an under the main layout fiddle yard to increase the relief (main) lines stock holding.

Which is best? At present I am working on seeing which version gives the best match to the WTT for 1960/62.

Fortunately I have been accumulating locos and stock for a "WR mainline out of Paddington layout" for more than 20 years, so will probably have too much stock!

Best regards

Paul 

On 07/10/2019 at 18:51, Tallpaul69 said:

I didn't say I was modelling the whole of Maidenhead!

My model focuses on the area from the west end of the platforms to the east end of the goods shed on the relief lines and up to the first over bridge on the branch.

Phew! That's a relief. :-)

Just wondering where you would put the curves for the round and round layouts?

Maidenhead_AnyRail8.png.39ae69c2b7344ec7276043763db95375.png

Just to give you a flavour of my solution, there are two sets of curves:-

1) The branch curve continues on the alignement that it leaves the main line thus reaching a small fiddle yard on the opposite side of the layout room to the "Maidenhead Area". The branch then continues round the room and connects back into the "Bay" (platform 5).

2) The "relief lines" as the GWR and WR termed them, rather than continuing in a straight line as they do in reality, curve round, separated from the branch by a line of houses on an embankment as a scenic break, to reach a large fiddle yard behind the branch one, then on round the room to reappear as the "relief lines" through platforms 3 and 4.

There are no "fast" lines, but there are up and down loops to the relief lines, and some sidings but not the correct number nor in the correct locations!

I hope this explains the general scheme of the layout.

Best regards

Paul

• 1 month later...

Newton Abbot library claims to have the second largest railway resource in the country after the NRM. You need to contact them in advance as the person who knows what they have got isn't always there. They do have some western region working timetables .

Can't beat modelling the Western main line. All the best!

IMG_20190901_184044.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris M said:

Newton Abbot library claims to have the second largest railway resource in the country after the NRM. You need to contact them in advance as the person who knows what they have got isn't always there. They do have some western region working timetables .

Thanks. I'll take a look at that sometime. also, nice picture.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 13:35, Chris M said:

IMG_20190901_184044.jpg

Hi Chris,

Love the photo, which part of the GW main line are you modelling?

Is it a round and round or end to end layout?

More pics would be great, don't mind if you highjack this thread for a while!

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 1

Newton Abbot library

http://newtonabbotrailwaystudies.co.uk/

Nearly 60,000 images available to view on request. Visit our online gallery for a taster of the full collection. If you are looking for your favourite locomotive scroll through the galleries to page 2.

Gallery photos

http://newtonabbotrailwaystudies.co.uk/homepage/historic-photographs/

With thousands of books, imetables, periodicals and pamphlets, our collection has something for everyone. Visit our online catalogue for a full list of available titles.

Catalogue

https://www.devonlibraries.org.uk/web/arena/my-account

Visit us for free at the Passmore Edwards Centre, a beautiful Victorian building with a modern, comfortable interior; the perfect setting for your journey into the past!

http://newtonabbotrailwaystudies.co.uk/contact/

I'm quite pleased that I managed to make some (fairly crude) working bracket signals. 

This layout has a limited future. It will be at the Warley club open day in July next year followed by the Ludlow exhibition in August. After that it will be dismantled and some of the track and electrics will be used on a new project.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 19:04, Chris M said:

I'm afraid I got a bit carried away with videos

Late 50s

1963 and getting a bit carried away

Great layout, a track plan would be useful to other readers?

I am afraid N gauge is too fine for my current eyesight and finger skill, 00 I can manage, but if I had the room, I would go 0 gauge! 

I am currently planning signals, but as I want to run dual eras, some will have to be removable to swap  semaphores for colour lights.

Cheers

Paul