Back to hobby after 20years my class 31's

Hi Guys, after a 20yr gap in modelling and recent recuperation from surgery period has got me modelling again,

i thought i'd share the results so far, bare with me here also i am well aware the body moulded details arn't prototypical correct for the livery ive repainted in! the first model was more a test to myself!

So first up is My 31 mash up, Airfix body repainted and numbered to railfrieght triple grey,(colours may not be perfect as picked from halford rattle can choice, but is a great match for my lima class 60 in factory paint)  running on a heavily modified Hornby railroad chassis (lima type) and Hornby super detail running gear, shell lightly weathered, running gear awaiting weathering, molded handrails removed, metal ones here waiting to be fitted

Also pictured is a triang 31 body with valances added and heavily weathered, awaiting suitable bogies, then will become a scrap loco awaiting restoration on a future layout

also there is another airfix 31 which is due to become a network rail class 31

IMAG0702.jpg

IMAG0706.jpg

IMAG0707.jpg

IMAG0708.jpg

IMAG0709.jpg

IMAG0710.jpg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm not an expert in things post 1962 but that looks pretty darn good to me........great stuff

Rgds.......Mike

• Agree 1

As long as it looks the part from afar im not too fussed that details such as the engine room door being black when it should be body colour (a mistake i made coping an incorrect rtr model!) other details such as missing fan shroud and head box lights can be added, but the incorrect body moldings such as the roof filler and steps still being there its too late to correct and will be addressed on my next 31!

Would you be massively disappointed if I pointed out that the bodyside steps and boiler filler hatch etc should have been plated over on your 31 body? Plus the exhaust ports face the wrong way for an EE re-engined 31? And the bodyside horizontal beading should have been pared off?

Nice job on the painting, especially from a rattle can. Not sure I could do that with a can!

43 minutes ago, Bedlington North said:

Would you be massively disappointed if I pointed out that the bodyside steps and boiler filler hatch etc should have been plated over on your 31 body? Plus the exhaust ports face the wrong way for an EE re-engined 31? And the bodyside horizontal beading should have been pared off?

Nice job on the painting, especially from a rattle can. Not sure I could do that with a can!

No not upset at all, i knew all that was wrong! and i may still make some small plates to stick on over the top of the boiler filler hatch.

The next 31 will ave this aswell as the horizontal bearing removed.

Colours where:

Ford Dove grey - bottom

halford enamel ral 7005 - mid

rover hurricane grey - roof

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for sharing, it's always good to see people having a go and not being put off by the worry of it either not going right, or whether others will like it.  For what it's worth, I'll add my voice to the nods of approval.  It looks pretty good for a first go, as you say a great way to test yourself.  And you already know what you can improve on next time, which is even better.  I'd never have suspected the engine room door to be wrong actually, if you hadn't said so, it looks right in black.  The one thing you maybe didn't spot (or was it deliberate to fit the moulded lines?) is that the logo is too high.  Looks good though, I look forward to reading more, and seeing what happens to that Lima shunter now you've put it out of it's misery and hopefully set it on the path to a better life.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Bedlington North said:

You could have read s789's original post instead of being unnecessarily negative.

Mike.

I did read it thanks and I wasn't criticising his work, just asking if he was aware some small details were wrong.

If you read all of my post instead of the bit you selectively quoted you will see I praised the OPs work with rattle cans, so climb down from your noble steed.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Well I primed with halfords plastic primer and masked using frog tape and also sealing the tape with a clear acrylic mdf sealer which I also use to make my own acrylic paints with by mixing pigments in.

• Informative/Useful 3

14 hours ago, shildonboy said:

you made your own acrylic paints by mixing pigments and acrylic mdf sealer.  Interesting approach, a nifty idea.  What did you use for pigments?

Proper pigment powders purchased online, raw umber, burnt sienna etc. Make great weathering powders too.

• Informative/Useful 4