Adding a motor to Kernow/Bachmann 4TC

Might seem a strange thing to do, but the TC is actually mid conversion to a REP. I've got to the stage of adding a motor (which has been installed - 2EPB) but trying to fathom the electrics. The easy option is to run the motor off a separate decoder, but I reckon there's a way to incorporate into the pre installed PCB and 21 pin decoder interface, but need some help.

Google reports that motor control runs off pins 18 and 19, which by my reckoning are the two I have highlighted in the photograph.

Before I simply solder to the pins on the PCB, can anyone provide any info on this incase my decoder goes up in a puff of smoke. It looks like the pins are connected to something on the PCB but I have no idea what, and sadly unlike the Speaker pins which lead to two labelled solder pads for installing your own speaker, if there is a motor one it is not labelled.

20190521_134136-768x1365.jpg.545c8357913ccd84340bc5ed5b3fb248.jpg

20190521_134119-768x1365.jpg.a3d6b6c268465236610eede00abc94e4.jpg

20190521_135138.jpg.d5ee3cb813130150bbb4affa72cc231d.jpg

Thanks for any light shed.

Hi,

I don't know if you intend to haul 4TCs with your REP but from my tests on the pull force of 2-EPB power cars you might find it struggles to pull one Kernow 4-TC on the flat and might not manage two 4-TCs.

Regards

Nick

1 hour ago, NIK said:

Hi,

I don't know if you intend to haul 4TCs with your REP but from my tests on the pull force of 2-EPB power cars you might find it struggles to pull one Kernow 4-TC on the flat and might not manage two 4-TCs.

Regards

Nick

Thanks Nick, I'm going to test on the club layout soon, the TCs are very free runners so I would be surprised and disappointed if it can't manage at least one other.

1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

Thanks Nick, I'm going to test on the club layout soon, the TCs are very free runners so I would be surprised and disappointed if it can't manage at least one other.

Hi,

I forgot how free running some Bachmann 'EMUs' can be.

I think the 4TC shares the same pin point axle box pickup system as the 4 CEP. I've tested the static friction of the 4CEP trailer coaches and got a figure of 0.75 grammes per coach - the lowest I've measured (the Hornby 4VEP trailers with was up to ten times higher per coach).

Putting the friction values of 11 CEP coaches (3 REP trailers and 8 4TC trailers equivalent) and pull value for my 2-EPB** into my experimental gradient and curve predictor it indicates the 2-EPB powered REP should just haul two Kernow 4-TCs on the flat round 36" curves*.

* as the static friction is so low in this case the friction due to the curve may dominate.

** I've assumed that the 2-EPB bogie will give as much pull in its new chassis as it did in its original - using the motor block from the 2-EPB may help.

Good luck.

Regards

Nick

4REP USING 2 EPB MOTOR AND 4TC CHASSIS B 1.jpg

Edited by NIK
UPDATED GRAPHICS
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 18:56, NIK said:

... forgot how free running some Bachmann 'EMUs' can be.

I think the 4TC shares the same pin point axle box pickup system as the 4 CEP. I've tested the static friction of the 4CEP trailer coaches and got a figure of 0.75 grammes per coach - the lowest I've measured (the Hornby 4VEP trailers with was up to ten times higher per coach)...

We should only ask all the RTR OO manufacturers to consider standardising on this system. It's as good for free rolling as the established kit method of polished steel pinpoint axle in brass conical bearing; and with a split axle wheelset makes an efficient no incremental friction pick up for coach lighting or tender pick up.

Isn't it a teensy bit draughty for the passengers in the last few coaches? :jester::jester:

When I first saw the topic title, I thought "That sounds a bit mad!", but it really does make sense seeing as the driving coaches are almost identical above the solebars, and the EPB/CEP/MLV motor bogies are quite powerful (I have had a Bachmann 4 CEP hauling a dummy 4 BEP from Southern Pride kits). The fact that your unit manages two 4 TCs is even better.

Madness aside, I think your REP unit is brilliant. :)

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, SRman said:

Isn't it a teensy bit draughty for the passengers in the last few coaches? :jester::jester:

When I first saw the topic title, I thought "That sounds a bit mad!", but it really does make sense seeing as the driving coaches are almost identical above the solebars, and the EPB/CEP/MLV motor bogies are quite powerful (I have had a Bachmann 4 CEP hauling a dummy 4 BEP from Southern Pride kits). The fact that your unit manages two 4 TCs is even better.

Madness aside, I think your REP unit is brilliant. :)

Haha the middle coaches of the REP are waiting for me to get my arse in gear and spray them!

20190604_120016.jpg.5e488ca9a602eb9fc16b7170ca0559f3.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is brilliant and something I’ve long thought about. I have two 4tc mjt  sides which I intend to do 4rep/4tc combo.

Where did you start with buffet coaches as I’ve not been able to find a rep kit/conversion. 

I look forward to seeing how it turns out. 

• RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2019 at 16:00, 50033 said:

This is brilliant and something I’ve long thought about. I have two 4tc mjt  sides which I intend to do 4rep/4tc combo.

Where did you start with buffet coaches as I’ve not been able to find a rep kit/conversion. 

I look forward to seeing how it turns out. 

I know this is taking the thread slightly off topic, but to answer this question, it depends on which batch you want to model. The initial batch of '67 Rep's had the Buffet car converted from loco-hauled Mk1 Restaurant-Buffet (RB) coaches. The '73 batch Rep's had them converted from Mk1 Unclassified Restaurant (RU) coaches. Both made by Bachmann.

The trailer brake first is a little more complicated as it was converted from loco-hauled Mk1 Corridor Composite coaches for both batches.

• Agree 1