Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

I would be grateful if anyone could give some useful knowledge or advice on the feasibility of converting a Heljan class 45/0 sealed beam into a class 46 sealed beam.

What are the main areas that would need to be addressed, i.e. Body details (roof & sides), bogies, buffers, pipework etc..

Thanks for your replies in advance guys.     D7100.

49 minutes ago, D7100 said:

I would be grateful if anyone could give some useful knowledge or advice on the feasibility of converting a Heljan class 45/0 sealed beam into a class 46 sealed beam.

What are the main areas that would need to be addressed, i.e. Body details (roof & sides), bogies, buffers, pipework etc..

Thanks for your replies in advance guys.     D7100.

I think (hope) Heljan will have the 46 in their plans. I really want a very good Ixion to run with my eagerly anticipated Derby RTC SLW 24. The Bachmann ones cost a fortune and would probably let down the 24. Here’s hoping!

With regards to what changes need to be made to convert a 45 > 46 I’m not too sure. There are real Peak aficionados on here that will be able to tell you. 

Edited by 66738

• RMweb Gold

It’s only the trapezoid access panel under the long side grille and the small rectangular boiler room grille that you need to watch out for on the body. On the chassis it’s the battery box doors.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, D9001 said:

Great! Whereabouts? 

In Modelling Musings and Miscellany, but it hasn't been approved by the moderators yet :scratchhead:

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, zigzag said:

I'm putting my money behind Heljan on this one. Bachmann have had an open goal for years and have ignored it, for them to announce now as a spolier to Heljan is a tad underhand in my view and for that they do not have my support in this one.

We do not know whether the timing of the announcements is coincidence (perhaps arranged to tie in with DEMU Showcase) or anything else. And it could be argued that as Bachmann have had all 3 variants of Peak in their range for some years (although not of course the sealed beam type) it is more 'their' model than Heljan's ! Anyway, my preference is for pre-TOPS BFYE, so Heljan's 64 looks very enticing. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

It’s only the trapezoid access panel under the long side grille and the small rectangular boiler room grille that you need to watch out for on the body. On the chassis it’s the battery box doors.

Plus an extra raised roof panel at the fan end and the small access flap on one side next to the trapezoid thing isn’t present on the 46.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tinsley-toton said:

It's a bit odd why Hattons are offering a customised service with headlight fitted, yet not all are listed but were fitted (45147 should be removed from the list)

Scroll all the way down.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=524

I assume 45504 won't have orange cant rail stripes as not many carried these? Better check before ordering as there is no base model in this configuration.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, dibber25 said:

Oh, so sorry I upset you. (CJL)

I'm not upset Chris, why would you think that? :scratchhead:

Edit: the new thread has been approved so this is the link to it:

Edited by Ian J.
Add Link to New Thread
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, there will be plenty of choice for China Clay traffic,

45015/16/20/51/60*/64/68/69/72/74/75/78 

46001/2/27 ( for the future)

* Sherwood Forrester

All had twin central marker lights. 

8 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Well, there will be plenty of choice for China Clay traffic,

45015/16/20/51/60*/64/68/69/72/74/75/78 

46001/2/27 ( for the future)

* Sherwood Forrester

All had twin central marker lights. 

Is that for Cornwall Clay Traffic or another region?

Thanks,

Samuel.

• RMweb Premium

They were Peaks that ran Cornish China Clay  traffic usually between Burngullow and Severn tunnel junction. John Vaughan’s book ‘An illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains’ has photos of all the Peaks I mention plus a real Pot Pourri of of rolling stock formations.

10 hours ago, 7013 said:

They were Peaks that ran Cornish China Clay  traffic usually between Burngullow and Severn tunnel junction. John Vaughan’s book ‘An illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains’ has photos of all the Peaks I mention plus a real Pot Pourri of of rolling stock formations.

I've got a picture somewhere which I took at Starcross of a 46 on a train of clay hoods.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 61661 said:

- Class 46 - both original and sealed beam ends

D138-173 were built with centre-split headcodes

D174-193 were built with single piece headcodes

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Probably best to focus on variants not recently modelled perhaps?

Class 45

Split headcode with end doors

Single centre headcode

Class 46

Split centre headcode

From the 60s/70s

cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 31/05/2019 at 22:07, zigzag said:

I'm putting my money behind Heljan on this one. Bachmann have had an open goal for years and have ignored it, for them to announce now as a spolier to Heljan is a tad underhand in my view and for that they do not have my support in this one.

And I thought I was cynical ;), I have to agree with you though, does anyone know if the Modelzone copyright on the marker light model had a time limit in it or some other limiting factor which is why Bachmann had to wait until now to release their own version, there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for the timing.

I have already ordered a Bachmann 45049 from my favourite Exmouth based retailer and was going to order a 45046 from a Kernow based retailers Guldford shop but might hold fire and see how the Heljan one developes.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 61661 said:

#454XX = Electric heat, dual brake 45/1 with sealed beam nose ends

#455XX = as above but with square HI headlight added

That's puts my mind at ease. I'll be on the lookout for a 45 133, as well as an unnumbered one from Hattons for doing as 45 119.

At the moment, Heljan are the only ones doing a 45/1, so there's a niche there. It would be nice if all the 45/1 variants were produced. The 'sealed beam' was the logical one to go for first as it's surely a contender for the most requested D&E era model of the past 10 years. The other nose end variants could come in future releases, and give a good choice of numbers for 70's modelers. 

The below should be correct prior to the overhauls with 'sealed beam' noses:

Split Headcode: 45101, 110, 113, 115, 120, 124, 127, 132, 135 - 136, 138, 140, 142, 150

Centre - Split Headcode: 45111, 116 - 119, 123, 125 - 126, 128 -131, 133, 137, 143 - 146, 147*, 148, 149*

Centre - Solid Headcode: 45102 - 109, 112, 114, 121 - 122, 134, 139, 141, 147*, 149*

*45147 had centre - split at No.1 end, centre - solid at No.2 end. 

*45149 had centre - solid at No.1 end, centre - split at No.2 end (Just as it does now in Preservation). 

A bog standard blue 'sealed beam' 46 would be another win, as this has never been done to modern standards. I would have one, and it sounds like many more would. Once you have class 46 tooling that gives scope to do the centre - solid version, and for the early members of the class in green days, centre - split.

Also the split box 45 with the nose end doors for 60's modelers, again, never been done.  

Peaks give lots of Potential!!!

Cameron

Edited by Mophead45143
  • Informative/Useful 2