Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its probably been said before but Heljan Facebook page is best place to go for updates...

https://www.facebook.com/heljanas/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARB1rG648zcBmZORlh4-wTZ_itjs4o_yv2uBZXEYjyXyQAx9CVZf808Z7vDRNjhIoHXxphgj_q-vFxsS

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I assume the indented Trapezoid grill is just a void / indentation for a panel or grill to be fitted depending on configuration ?

Those nose end doors look like maybe they need a little bit of work too, and the piping around the buffers.

(not my image its an URL)

11exworksnew.jpg

Finally the bodyside strengtheners / panelling under the large square and large horizontal grills isnt present... this is a fairly distinctive part of the Peaks.. something in later life became apparent in the metal bodysides too with age.

you can see here..
A6297DA9-9A13-4D53-B54E-0A9168AA94CD.jpeg.3c797db92a4eeba5560d6703765bbdd5.jpeg

or highlighted here

2480AF2C-1B67-4431-B13C-8DDF245B25FE.jpeg.9fd72dece10f2286146c2f63f88c0d31.jpeg

which is why the Trapezoid grill / plate is the shape it is..

8A750C2A-CE5A-4F62-806B-D4A8F1CC1CB5.jpeg.8c9d51bc79ad41c99553fc6871038719.jpeg

its an EP, so hopefully this is to be picked up.

I did note on TMCs website, theres a hole for a fitting, presumably the pipes to the headcode box (was the box electric ?) that runs under the left side, visible in the picture above), which is a nice catch to detail.

looks promising, but needs work.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Also cab handrails are incorrect for these locos...they had the flat pattern as fitted to 24/44s, and much longer. 

D11/12 also had cut outs in the nose end doors to clear the headcode boxes when they were opened. 

will drop TMC a line...

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

The longer handrails are mentioned in the press release. I suspect the recesses for D11/12 might be a bit of a stretch.

TMC announce exclusive version of new Heljan Derby/Sulzer ‘Peak’ 

TMC has commissioned Heljan to produce an exclusive OO gauge model of the first 5 production Class 45 'Peak’ locomotives, D11 - D15, which had detail differences to the remainder of the class. The models are being produced alongside the first production run by Heljan and are expected be available towards the end of 2020 at same RRP as the general release models.

These five locos featured a different nose end arrangement with centre nose end doors and split headcode boxes on either side. The arrangement lasted from 1960 until the late-1960s when the ends were gradually rebuilt at Derby Works. The quintet also had longer cab door handrails, in common with the ten Pilot Scheme Class 44s (D1-D10). 

On delivery they were initially allocated to Derby but most were soon transferred to Leeds Holbeck, Leeds Neville Hill or Sheffield Darnall before returning to Derby. They spent a few years at Derby and in the Nottingham District before returning to Holbeck. They could be seen on express workings from London St Pancras and on cross-country services from Newcastle to Bristol, as well as on goods and parcels workings - a true mixed traffic design.

Delivered in BR Green with a white lower bodyside stripe, they soon gained small yellow warning panels. At least one received an 'economy green' repaint with small yellow panel and at least one survived long enough in its as-built condition to receive BR Rail Blue with full yellow ends. As the 1960s drew to a close their front ends were rebuilt to remove the gangway doors and replace the split headcode boxes with a centrally placed headcode panel.

Standard features will include authentic LED lighting with separately switched cab light, tail light and headcode functions (DCC only), a 21-pin DCC decoder interface, provision for DCC sound, a pack of optional detailing parts and fine detailing throughout. 

4 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Does anybody have a photo of the roof of the above model? It looks like they are actually making the correct refurb ETH roof without the boiler vents.

Correct. We committed to doing this from the outset as there has not, to date, been a correct RTR Class 45/1 in any scale. Our V4 and V5 models have the appropriate plated over boiler roof panels at the No2 end, as well as other ETH-related items. V4 has sealed beam ends, and V5 is in final BR condition with the square HI headlights added. 

Hope this helps

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 23/02/2020 at 06:43, Phil Bullock said:

Also cab handrails are incorrect for these locos...they had the flat pattern as fitted to 24/44s, and much longer. 

D11/12 also had cut outs in the nose end doors to clear the headcode boxes when they were opened. 

will drop TMC a line...

I hope the production ones have more pronounced door detail than the early EP samples (which look rather too feint for my liking.

Also, it would be nice to have the "Holbeck" buffer shanks on D15 !

On 24/02/2020 at 11:52, D1051 said:

From my experience with restoring a class 45. I know the boiler room roof section you refer too & its subsequent mods for ETH fitted locos .

Been there, done that, cleaned the toilet. Lol

To my eyes the front windows don't look quite right They look very steep and flat on top. There is also a very pronounced angle where the radius changes sharply between the centre window and the outer windows. This is noticeable on the gutter strips in some photo's of real peaks but it is less pronounced. The outer windows also look too straight on the outer edges. The real loco has a continuous radius and less sharp corners.

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Agree 3

23 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

To my eyes the front windows don't look quite right They look very steep and flat on top. There is also a very pronounced angle where the radius changes sharply between the centre window and the outer windows. This is noticeable on the gutter strips in some photo's of real peaks but it is less pronounced. The outer windows also look too straight on the outer edges. The real loco has a continuous radius and less sharp corners.

I have to agree, it does look like something is not quite right here, particularly with the outer windows. The Bachmann model can be accused of not even trying to represent the changing radius in the gutter strips, but then it is such a subtle feature in real life, and would be even more so in 4mm. Is this too pronounced on the Heljan model?

I also wondered if the nose cone is slightly off in shape or if its just the angle of the photos. Hard to tell as the EP all grey.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Their 7mm one is very good so anything less convincing would be disappointing but just reinforces you cant simply "shrink" a design as people often suggest 

I've said it before but our perception of objects must vary individually - I wouldn't profess to know exactly why but obviously different characteristics or details catch different peoples' attention. My instant reaction was it just doesnt look right due to the windows but obviously they dont bother some.

Edited by Hal Nail

10 hours ago, Holmesfeldian said:

How far we have come !
37-051Main_3072939_Qty1_1.jpg.c9d65df30e2a01fd1c2540d62b56988a.jpg

Indeed, although considering the limited choice we had in the 1970s, when the Mainline Peak came out it was the best thing since sliced bread ! (IMHO anyway).

• Like 4
  • Agree 2