Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

On 23/06/2020 at 12:11, soulofwigan said:

I think that is a pretty bold statement considering the upcoming Heljan class 25 has an RRP of £170 and I'd imagine this 45 to probably be even more expensive.

Yeah.... it may be bold :-)

10 years ago i would probably buy roughly a new loco a month, now it is maybe one a year. Hattons' website says ~145 pounds.. if that close-ish, then yes. If it turns out to be significantly north of that £170 then we'll have to see....

.... of course, if i win the lottery then i will just buy Heljan the company :-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I've just caught up with the thread.... quite a few comments!

Ben - Hopefully I've not said anything to offend as you're the last person I'd want to! Please do keep sharing as I'm sure we'll all get better models as a result.

I'm no way a Peak expect (or any loco to that matter) but did have a Bachmann model which i intended "" up to something like 013. I've since sold it but because of the painted white frames and rainstrip it did stick in my mind as a fairly complicated shape... It's always hard to interpret photos though.

Picture from flickr

Class 45/0 No. 45013.

cheers

Will

• RMweb Premium

I'm not painting this white for comparison! You can see the curve on the 7mm cab windows does droop lower than the gutter but must admit i'd never noticed until this thread mentioned it recently though.

The other thing to note is the limitations of moulded glazing accentuate this a bit. I often think this is one of the reasons a lot of diesels seem hard to nail given the cab windows are such an obvious feature.

I still think the slightly under size marker lights on that 4mm one has more impact on the appearance personally.

P1070725.JPG.1cfa4b764e706f2ab6abef499afd4767.JPG

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

On 23/06/2020 at 20:11, soulofwigan said:

I think that is a pretty bold statement considering the upcoming Heljan class 25 has an RRP of £170 and I'd imagine this 45 to probably be even more expensive.

Any idea of how the 25 is shaping up? :D

On 22/06/2020 at 23:55, adb968008 said:

Oh ye of little faith...

An EP on the forum is a gift from above, not a hook a duck competition. It’s a chance to say what you want, or don’t want. 

Since Ben came on board, he’s brought us some much needed class 27’s, some of the best paint finished class 33’s ever made to date, some very detailed 33/1’s also, which exceeds many contemporaries.
33050/051 are probably the nicest rtr diesels made for some years, if 45106 gets the same treatment it’ll be something special.

The 45 needs work, but let’s be fair, the EP is an EP, it was clearly stated it was an EP, and issues previously raised are stated to be being addressed. At the end of the day, Heljans commercial success depends on consumer confidence, so let’s take the window to get a decent model, by not scaring the bloke away.

My two pet issues are rivets and Ive mentioned the grills before. Both are on the list.

At risk of being constructive, Ive highlighted a few nit-picky items which are more about attaining A* grades, than serious issues:

138ABBB6-3259-4966-BFFC-2F6CBE07E82D.jpeg.38b0a6ddbdd540065ca7b9f7c1d6ca23.jpeg

1. Red circle, can the builders plate be separate, or at least not raised beyond a minimal amount.. most later life blue 45’s didn’t have the Builders plate (though some had a blank Plate that was almost, if not, flush, or if  removed Only the corrosion outline could be visible but It was flush).. the Mainline/Replica/Bachmann one was a Bug bear having a blue lump here Pretending it wasn’t... if I can only have 1 wish from this list, this is it.

2. Blue circles.. Missing lamp irons here.

3. Purple circles.. A really nice to have, but the water jet outlets for the screen wiper.

4. Green circle.. Looking at other pictures it looks flush to the body side, and rivets flush too, just a very subtle outline.

5. orange circle on bogie.. missing Speedo cable.

hope this helps.

Good points.

And that bufferbeam detailing looks superb.

Ian

• Agree 1

On 25/06/2020 at 09:20, 47406 said:

Yeah.... it may be bold :-)

10 years ago i would probably buy roughly a new loco a month, now it is maybe one a year. Hattons' website says ~145 pounds.. if that close-ish, then yes. If it turns out to be significantly north of that £170 then we'll have to see....

.... of course, if i win the lottery then i will just buy Heljan the company :-)

Most of is are in the same boat mate. Prices have gone up, earnings have reduced significantly for most of us.

Guess it just means we can’t have everything that we want.

Not a good situation at all but it is what it is for now.

Model looks promising though.

Davy.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I would like an accurate 45/1 and I have high hopes, but the decider for me will be the top of the cab doors being slightly curved and the consequent changes in shape of the cab windows. Fix that please Heljan and I’ll be a happy bunny.

• Agree 5

On 24/06/2020 at 13:22, D1051 said:

You missed the segmental bearing greasing nipple in your red circle.

The works plate doubles as a access cover to the droplight scissor anchor point found on drivers side & secured with counter sunk quarter inch diameter whitworth screws  .The 2nd mans side plates were 2.5mm thick steel bolts secured with quarter whitworth bolts.  looks ok to me on photo .

563537_342758242499507_813004901_n.jpg

They should be quarter Whitworth bolts, fitted many of those as an apprentice when the mod was done. Regarding the cab side light framing it is not flush but projects 2-3 mm from the side panels which you can see on D1051 photo. You can also part way up on the cab door where the mark left by the rain/waterproofing strip, just above the two cut outs.

Al Taylor 

joint owner of a 1:1 45/1.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2020 at 08:46, Crisis Rail said:

Good points.

And that bufferbeam detailing looks superb.

Ian

Totally agree.

Just hope Heljan can make it - or perhaps get it made would be more accurate - with better attention to assembly and quality control than 2 major retailers' recent high profile commissions.

If they can do that, then it has every chance of being a superb loco.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well September has now been and gone and Hattons' website for one is still saying "....between July 2020 & September 2020" - have i missed any updates on when ?

@47406

All I know is that the 45's are expected after the Class 25's.

afbeelding.png.8d5354ea2d6a0b5eb4019b9c638a899b.png

And the 25's are expected after the 86's.

afbeelding.png.0804191ea533453c646011740b457bb1.png

Edited by Ryan91
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 06/10/2020 at 19:58, 47406 said:

Well September has now been and gone and Hattons' website for one is still saying "....between July 2020 & September 2020" - have i missed any updates on when ?

Never mind the updates - judging by this thread alone there's quite a long list of requested mods and "improvements" to go at.

Ian

• Agree 2

So the 45s are expected after the 25s....
and the 25s are expected after the 86s.....

.... i was just waiting for someone to say that the 86s were now expected after the 45s !!

It will be whenever the arrive, i know that. No surprise really that exerything going on in the world around us is having an effect on delivery plans. Oh well, regardless of when they arrive i still plan to buy a pair. Maybe it is the universe's way of prodding me to finish the scenics on at least one of the baseboards so he new ladies truly look the part when they arrive :)

• Like 1

On 13/10/2020 at 09:07, 47406 said:

So the 45s are expected after the 25s....
and the 25s are expected after the 86s.....

.... i was just waiting for someone to say that the 86s were now expected after the 45s !!

It will be whenever the arrive, i know that. No surprise really that exerything going on in the world around us is having an effect on delivery plans. Oh well, regardless of when they arrive i still plan to buy a pair. Maybe it is the universe's way of prodding me to finish the scenics on at least one of the baseboards so he new ladies truly look the part when they arrive :)

No rush - The dark nights are drawing in -  looking forward to spending many a long winter evening on this thread with the Rivet Counters working themselves into a froth. 

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Funny 8

• 2 months later...

Looking at the new Bachmann 45s they seem to have captured the look of the Peaks in a way Heljan clearly cannot.

Although lacking some of the extra details of the Heljan, and possibly dcc functionality, if you want a Peak that looks like a Peak it’s clearly the better option. After all you can always add a few extra pipes to the Bachmann if you want to, but you can’t change the deformed shape of the Heljan! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Global said:

After all you can always add a few extra pipes to the Bachmann if you want to, but you can’t change the deformed shape of the Heljan! 

As is apparent from these threads, and this is an observation not a criticism, some people genuinely appear to notice the missing parts more than the shape.

I think peoples powers of observation/recognition just differ.

Also performance is a factor. I freely admit I look at mine more than run them but I can quite understand that a good mechanism would be far more important to others.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Global said:

Looking at the new Bachmann 45s they seem to have captured the look of the Peaks in a way Heljan clearly cannot.

Although lacking some of the extra details of the Heljan, and possibly dcc functionality, if you want a Peak that looks like a Peak it’s clearly the better option. After all you can always add a few extra pipes to the Bachmann if you want to, but you can’t change the deformed shape of the Heljan! 

Have you actually seen the Heljan model in real life? I saw the prototypes on the Heljan stand at the Glasgow exhibition in 2019 and they definitely captured the Peak look for me.

• Funny 2

19 hours ago, Bedlington North said:

Have you actually seen the Heljan model in real life? I saw the prototypes on the Heljan stand at the Glasgow exhibition in 2019 and they definitely captured the Peak look for me.

No, but the painted sample shown earlier in this thread is very clear and clearly shows they’ve not got it quite right. 

I’m still hoping they are able to correct it but, it’s a faint hope, as many have said before they may be too far gone in the process already to do anything about it. 

I guess if you’re looking at a sample at an exhibition (seems like a distant memory of going to one of those!) and not able to directly compare with the prototype it would look like a Peak as you’re relying purely on what you’re memory recalls and in that situation I may have come to same conclusion.

However you only need to look at the sample and a picture to see that it has some easily spotted issues. Whether those issues are enough for an individual to reject it or not are purely down them obviously.

• Agree 1

I'd prefer to see if the real model in front of my eyes reminds me of a peak than comparing a photo of a model with a photo of the real thing. 

In any case it's pointless chasing perfection ins shape and form of a 4mm scale model. It's just not possible to tool every subtle shape or surface and also some detail is either too soft (ie you can hardly see it on the model) so you either leave it off or emphasise it or when you scale it down people say it's overdone. Either way, you will get a kicking on this forum...

I saw both the Bachmann and Heljan prototypes on the same day and, yes, there are small differences between them which just proves my point. One company put some details on, the other left some off. The important thing as far as I'm concerned is that they can easily sit next to each other on the layout. I have happily ordered a 45/0 from one manufacturer and a 45/1 from the other.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Bedlington North said:

I'd prefer to see if the real model in front of my eyes reminds me of a peak than comparing a photo of a model with a photo of the real thing. 

Demonstrates my point about how people perceive things and what needs to be right to them.

I like the Heljan 33 (7mm) which captures the look and feel as I remember them. 

When I look at photos of the real one in detail, the real one looks all wrong compared to my mental image!

So I bought one. But if others said the cab windows put them off I couldn't argue as they are actually miles out.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Just watched the Ben Jones interview with Jenny Kirk on You Tube, Ben said they are happy with the 'Peak' in terms of mechanically and electrically but there are somethings on the model they are still not happy with.

Wonder if he means the roof profile and shape of the windscreen as previously mentioned on this thread?

He had a couple of samples to show, he said they were very smooth runners and lighting will be able to be independently controlled.

37 minutes ago, Magna Junction said:

Just watched the Ben Jones interview with Jenny Kirk on You Tube, Ben said they are happy with the 'Peak' in terms of mechanically and electrically but there are somethings on the model they are still not happy with.

Wonder if he means the roof profile and shape of the windscreen as previously mentioned on this thread?

He had a couple of samples to show, he said they were very smooth runners and lighting will be able to be independently controlled.

Didn't he say the issues were with decoration.