Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Magna Junction said:

Yeah, maybe just wishfull thinking that we would get the ultimate Peak.

We shall see still looking forward to the model been released hope its not a dissapointment.

I'm sure it will be a disappointment to you. I feel it in my water.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 1 month later...

Ben@61661

I know you probably can't divulge any plans but has the class 44 been considered?

Seems to be the only prototype now not being reworked, the Bachmann version now looks tired and rarely re-released.

Without wish-listing and seeing some suggestions for a Class 46. How easy would it be for Heljan to back date to a Class 44? 

TMC have commissioned the earliest Class 45 so must be some similarities.

TY

Edited by spackz

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, spackz said:

Ben,

I know you probably can't divulge any plans but has the class 44 been considered?

Seems to be the only prototype now not being reworked, the Bachmann version now looks tired and rarely re-released.

Without wish-listing and seeing some suggestions for a Class 46. How easy would it be for Heljan to back date to a Class 44? 

TMC have commissioned the earliest Class 45 so must be some similarities.

TY

Biggest issue ... besides nose end ... is that the long body side grille is .... longer! 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 20/02/2021 at 00:10, 96701 said:

I'm sure it will be a disappointment to you. I feel it in my water.

You were correct, of course - how did we know?

Magna Junction - when are we going to see the first EP of your 'Ultimate Peak?

Oh - you're not? You do surprise me ...... !

John Isherwood.

17 minutes ago, Magna Junction said:

No Sheffield, spent the 1980's trainspotting at Sheffield Midland hence my liking of a Peak.

My home 'beat' was Wigston Magna in Leics., plenty of (brand new) Peaks there.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Willoughby Glen said:

To be honest, the real 45106 in this livery never looked right

It was a celebrity retirement livery, though most liveries turn the clock backwards, 45106 turned it sideways, with something unique.

45106 was intended as a 40122 replacement, but 45’s just dont have the same cult following as EE classes.

25322 (Though as 25912 it could qualify)/37350/40106 / 40122 /55002 all looked backwards.

45106 looked forwards, it was a celebrity retirement livery, rather than a historic one, no old BR logos etc.

weve not had many like that, 26001/7 were sideways retro, 43093 (Old Oak) is close, maybe might qualify 50008/19.. 43274 is arguably a retirement livery, but if so then 50015 qualifies too.

key being retirement livery, so things like 20030/64, 31183, 37403/411, 47079,145,484,500,628, 97561, 50007, 60081 werent at retirement when painted, even if they were just celebrity repaints.

Edited by adb968008

On 09/04/2021 at 09:44, spackz said:

Ben@61661

On 09/04/2021 at 10:51, Phil Bullock said:

Biggest issue ... besides nose end ... is that the long body side grille is .... longer! 

Even bigger issue is the still incorrect body shape.  Please, let's at least have the 45 correct before we start frothing for an ill-shaped 44 to boot... 

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 1

On 24/04/2021 at 17:43, younGGuns7 said:

Any updates Ben?

Apologies for the radio silence on the Peaks. It's simply because we haven't had any updates from the factory, so there's been nothing new to say. A combination of Covid, Christmas, Chinese New Year and a backlog at the factory due to many production line staff not returning after lockdown has slowed everything down (and not just for Heljan). However, I have been assured that the next batch of Class 45 samples is expected to arrive for review next month, so hopefully we'll have something new to say then. 

Thanks for your patience. 

Ben

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
On 24/04/2021 at 22:28, Magna Junction said:

No Sheffield, spent the 1980's trainspotting at Sheffield Midland hence my liking of a Peak.

Hmm... I went to Uni in Leicester and used the MML to go to and from home and that's why I'm not a big fan of Peaks - 45/1s were basically 95% of my haulage on those trains. A 47, especially a Scottish one off a Glasgow-Nottingham, was a special treat!

Still have to have one though!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Hmm... I went to Uni in Leicester and used the MML to go to and from home and that's why I'm not a big fan of Peaks - 45/1s were basically 95% of my haulage on those trains. A 47, especially a Scottish one off a Glasgow-Nottingham, was a special treat!

Still have to have one though!

Give me a Peak anyday over there replacement super sprinters.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2021 at 14:50, lyneux said:

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before, but that livery has highlighted the size of the axle boxes. They should be more 'saucer' and less 'dinner plate'!

Compare with: 

45106 19890121 @ Leeds (Kings Cross - Carlisle Special ex89001)

The model shows timken axle boxes whereas the 106 appears to have skf axle boxes apart from the speedo drive which afaik was always a timken

Bit of a minefield for Heljan as a lot of peaks had a mixture of the two.

Edited by pheaton
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just been looking at prototype photos prompted by your post. Yes, what a minefield! Lots of peaks in preservation with a mixture of the two. Still, the Timken SKF boxes are quite distinctive with their bolt pattern. The bolts seem to be missing from the Heljan moulding.

Guy

Edited by lyneux
Corrected
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2021 at 22:18, lyneux said:

Just been looking at prototype photos prompted by your post. Yes, what a minefield! Lots of peaks in preservation with a mixture of the two. Still, the SKF boxes are quite distinctive with their bolt pattern. The bolts seem to be missing from the Heljan moulding.

Guy

thumbnail_20210103_134912.jpg.671de97819380b263fa18d1dc555df61.jpg.d3b37f52e109e0a0a54b0d3ce83b1f73.jpg

The timken axle box with its 4 studs

thumbnail_20210103_134918.jpg.58e2c1fe792ae6b0377e0da9f1a9dcbc.jpg.9061900b239b14bda8d8818ce701ff2c.jpg

The SKF box with its 5 small bolts.

The SKF cover is a much much lighter construction, whereas the timken cover is a very heavy casting, also note the different shaped axle box on the SKF bearing.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/04/2021 at 09:24, 61661 said:

Apologies for the radio silence on the Peaks. It's simply because we haven't had any updates from the factory, so there's been nothing new to say. A combination of Covid, Christmas, Chinese New Year and a backlog at the factory due to many production line staff not returning after lockdown has slowed everything down (and not just for Heljan). However, I have been assured that the next batch of Class 45 samples is expected to arrive for review next month, so hopefully we'll have something new to say then. 

Thanks for your patience. 

Ben

Hi Ben

Any further updates on the 45 schedule?

Thanks

Simon

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lincolnshiremodeller said:

Hi Ben

Any further updates on the 45 schedule?

Thanks

Simon

We are promised new samples soon. Unfortunately the factory handling this project has been badly affected by Coronavirus, not just with lockdowns but also with subsequent staff shortages. Apologies for the delay - we are extremely frustrated by the situation but there's very little we can do at the moment. Once we have the next set of samples we'll have a better idea of the timescales. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, 61661 said:

We are promised new samples soon. Unfortunately the factory handling this project has been badly affected by Coronavirus, not just with lockdowns but also with subsequent staff shortages. Apologies for the delay - we are extremely frustrated by the situation but there's very little we can do at the moment. Once we have the next set of samples we'll have a better idea of the timescales. 

So easy to say but we really have to stop relying on China. Yes it all boils down to business and corporate profit even in Toy Train Land. I would be prepared (and am) to pay extra for something UK produced.

Just to mention nothing  Sinophobic in any way including the events of the last 15 months.

As regards the 45 - no real rush Ben.