Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, thohurst said:

I'm exited

I still think each topic should have 2 threads. One for the predictable froth, worn out jokes, premature moaning, moaning its late, moaning we havent been told its late and then moaning that we were forced to buy it and now dont like it.

(This thread could be common to all models to save time).

And a second thread about the model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8

On 14/10/2021 at 04:30, thohurst said:

I can't believe there's still no update! Here's hoping for some news soon, I'm excited to see the final samples!

We're really sorry about the lack of updates. It's hugely frustrating for us too. However, I received a photo from the factory of some painted bodies earlier this week, so something *is* happening at last. We are promised new samples soon, so will update via the website as soon as we have them. The factory producing the Peaks has been flat out getting 18000 and the NER Autocars ready for Rails, and the Peaks are next in the queue. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 14/10/2021 at 07:36, Hal Nail said:

I still think each topic should have 2 threads. One for the predictable froth, worn out jokes, premature moaning, moaning its late, moaning we havent been told its late and then moaning that we were forced to buy it and now dont like it.

Good call .

can we include the cliches ?

" My wallet breathed a sigh of relief "

" smuggled past Swmbo "

etc 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/10/2021 at 07:36, Hal Nail said:

I notice you have skirted clear of the huge shipping issues for goods from China.  Even though there are huge delays wit the container market itself, as well as months of delays with ports in China and in Europe, then the truck and driver availability, perhaps you need a third thread for each.

Seriously though I would personally prefer a section for each scale so that I can avoid 2mm and 7mm scales being not relevant to me.    

10 hours ago, Covkid said:

I notice you have skirted clear of the huge shipping issues for goods from China.  Even though there are huge delays wit the container market itself, as well as months of delays with ports in China and in Europe, then the truck and driver availability, perhaps you need a third thread for each.

Seriously though I would personally prefer a section for each scale so that I can avoid 2mm and 7mm scales being not relevant to me.    

Neatly achieved by Bachmann with the separate Farish thread.

On 14/10/2021 at 04:30, thohurst said:

I can't believe there's still no update! Here's hoping for some news soon, I'm excited to see the final samples!

Give me strength.  I suppose it is vaguely possible that being in New Zealand you haven't noticed what is going on elsewhere so just in case, there have been a couple of teeny weeny issues affecting the way companies are able to go about their activities which is affecting timescales. 

In a wider context, whilst I understand enthusiasm (indeed I am very, very occasionally guilty of it myself), I have never understood this desperation for news about an upcoming model.  In many ways it is self-defeating because the more flak a manufacturer gets for not giving a running commentary the more likely it is to decide to say nothing until it is ready for delivery (see Bachmann class 47).  You will get news when there is news.  

Finally my personal plea to manufacturers:  do (most of) us a favour and don't engage in "I want news about when there will be news" dialogues.  It just makes a rod for your own back and it makes extremely tiresome reading. 

Edited by DY444
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

14 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Agreed.  Perhaps it is because it is a different brand name.  Perhaps Dapol and Heljan need to diversify their product branding. How about Dapol compact, Dapol original and Dapol Premier ?  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Not really - a lot of the Bachmann updates only get posted to the Bachmann forum and the N scale Farish stuff in the updates doesn't get posted to the Farish forum.

The best is simply for thread originators to include the scale prominently in each thread topic.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, DY444 said:

Give me strength.  I suppose it is vaguely possible that being in New Zealand you haven't noticed what is going on elsewhere so just in case, there have been a couple of teeny weeny issues affecting the way companies are able to go about their activities which is affecting timescales. 

In a wider context, whilst I understand enthusiasm (indeed I am very, very occasionally guilty of it myself), I have never understood this desperation for news about an upcoming model.  In many ways it is self-defeating because the more flak a manufacturer gets for not giving a running commentary the more likely it is to decide to say nothing until it is ready for delivery (see Bachmann class 47).  You will get news when there is news.  

Finally my personal plea to manufacturers:  do (most of) us a favour and don't engage in "I want news about when there will be news" dialogues.  It just makes a rod for your own back and it makes extremely tiresome reading. 

That was meant in no negative regard to Heljan, just looking forward to seeing what my pre-order looks like in the flesh. NZ might not be as backwater as you think it is. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I was at Wakefield Market Hall yesterday, viewing ‘Britain’s Biggest Model Railway’, which is heavily sponsored by Heljan, and I spotted a 00 Class 45 in green, hidden in a Heljan display cabinet full of 0 gauge models (as is the main layout) at the back of the room! 

Just saying…….

Alan.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 23:14, atom3624 said:

Not convinced with this one - bold effort by Heljan, who are one of my favoured manufacturers.

Glazing seems 'too flush' and grilles not that good.

Comments relating to the curvature, or lack of, at the top of the doors remain valid I believe.

Al.

How on earth can glazing be "too flush"??

• Agree 1

On 13/12/2021 at 12:14, atom3624 said:

Not convinced with this one - bold effort by Heljan, who are one of my favoured manufacturers.

Glazing seems 'too flush' and grilles not that good.

Comments relating to the curvature, or lack of, at the top of the doors remain valid I believe.

Al.

I think it's also important to remember that this is one of the earlier samples as far as I'm aware. The next lot of (presumably painted?) samples will have fixed various errors.

2 hours ago, blueeighties said:

How on earth can glazing be "too flush"??

I know, it seemed a bit of a strange comment I know ... had to review again myself.

Looking at the side windows, I 'rest my case' - they seem totally flush almost to a little proud.  I'd expect them to be fractionally recessed.

Thanks to Doc Brown for the photo - just looking at the cab side windows - they're recessed, not flush.

Stated before me, but as also mentioned, there should be a slight curvature at the top of the door.

image.png.9be5f866c4c88f985de306d6e69e6d38.png

Al.

• Agree 3

On 15/12/2021 at 07:39, Mophead45143 said:

Some details maybe, but not shape.

I'd agree the latest version (whenever it breaks cover) will likely be minor tweaks rather than wholesale changes of the body shape. 

That said whilst the talk of a lack of curvature on the top of the door is valid the angle of that last prototype picture makes the curvature look very subtle indeed. If the real thing looks subtle will that translate to a 4mm model?

As always we will wait and wonder but for me I gave up the wait and have ordered the Bachmann  version for now.

On 17/12/2021 at 00:25, Albie the plumber said:

The door tops do indeed look flat 

Absolutely.  And it doesn't appear as though the misshaped windscreens have been corrected either.  That's a huge thumbs down.

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 5