Replacement for Mashima

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

They're classed as an 'emerging nation' (or similar) and as such are given preferential postage rates by nations so they can grow their economy......(so I understand)

I've a feeling that this arrangement with China is yet another thing that Trumpie is aiming to nobble :(

• RMweb Premium

Check the delivery time, these things aren't going by express air mail. They get stuffed into a container along with thousands of other items, hence the low cost.

53 minutes ago, Nile said:

Check the delivery time, these things aren't going by express air mail. They get stuffed into a container along with thousands of other items, hence the low cost.

I do buy the odd cheap items from China (Japan is also quite reasonable on prices), nothing (mains) electrical and would rather support more local businesses and yes a couple of weeks or so to arrive. But I could not post a large letter in this country for what I paid for the motor and posting

• RMweb Premium

This article sort of explains it, for the USA. Is there an equivalent thing here?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2017/11/05/how-the-usps-epacket-gives-postal-subsidies-to-chinese-e-commerce-merchants-to-ship-to-the-usa-cheap/#422173440ca1

I have a vague memory that this scheme has been, or is being, ended as far as the USA  is concerned.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, friscopete said:

They take at least 2-3 weeks often more .Sometimes so long I forget that I had ordered them .They are good though .I always order a few of anything interesting as some day they will just suddenly disappear and then what happens

Nearly all the motors I have bought have arrived within a week or so and usually before the predicted date. I've had much poorer service from UK suppliers in the past.

23 hours ago, trustytrev said:

Hello,

I think all the junk mail  being delivered is much more of an issue regarding the Royal Mail than stuff coming from China.

trustytrev.:)

Posties hate all this stuff coming from China. They send it all out in tiny packets that are unsuitable for sorting and handling. One of the worse jobs when I was working for RM was ending up with a auto levelling trolley full of them.

Junk mail can be sorted in a few minutes and pays the bills. Most of it goes straight through the machines.

Jason

3 hours ago, billbedford said:

Nigel Lawton sells two, an 8x16 and a 10x12

The 10x12 especially looks interesting, I wish someone with greater engineering nous than I have would produce a gearbox that would allow a motor like that to drive in the normal sort of position in a 4mm locomotive.

2 hours ago, johnarcher said:

The 10x12 especially looks interesting, I wish someone with greater engineering nous than I have would produce a gearbox that would allow a motor like that to drive in the normal sort of position in a 4mm locomotive.

I see no reason why such a motor could not be combined with, say, a High Level gearbox.

On the other hand, I fail to understand the preoccupation with coreless motors.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

37 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I see no reason why such a motor could not be combined with, say, a High Level gearbox.

On the other hand, I fail to understand the preoccupation with coreless motors.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

As I understand it (very possibly wrongly) coreless motors don't like the end-thrust of a worn first stage?

I agree that a good conventional motor (with a good gearbox) can be just as good, certainly good enough, but that particular coreless one seemed a handy size to sit in, for instance, a 4mm 0-6-0's firebox.

9 hours ago, johnarcher said:

As I understand it (very possibly wrongly) coreless motors don't like the end-thrust of a worn first stage?

I agree that a good conventional motor (with a good gearbox) can be just as good, certainly good enough, but that particular coreless one seemed a handy size to sit in, for instance, a 4mm 0-6-0's firebox.

There are plenty of motors that will fit in a 4mm. scale 0-6-0's firebox, using either a conventional worm gearset or, even better, a High Level gearbox.

I have standardised on the Japanese Mitsumi motor, which runs slower than Mashimas and is effectively silent. It is equally happy in a Bulleid Light Pacific or a Stanier 4F.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

When talking about motors and gearboxes, one thing that always come to mind is the question of whether or not a flywheel is of any use?  The model manufacturers seem to be keen on them but us kit builders don't often seem to use them if what I'm seeing online is accurate.

Is a flywheel actually of any use?

6 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I try to make provision for one if necessary, but I usually find that running is better without one.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

How is it better? I've always liked the momentum provided by a flywheel,especially as I'm using straight D.C..

• RMweb Premium

I did use flywheels routinely for quite a long time, mainly in the hope of keeping the locos running better but since moving to mostly compensated frames and more importantly using graphite all over the railhead this problem has disappeared almost entirely.

Flywheels work better the larger diameter they have and this makes them even more difficult to fit in the space available, if they are not reasonably well balanced they can produce a lot of vibration. They are an advantage in many ways but make shunting more difficult, don't forget our locos don't have any brakes apart from a non-reversible worm gear.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

There are plenty of motors that will fit in a 4mm. scale 0-6-0's firebox, using either a conventional worm gearset or, even better, a High Level gearbox.

I have standardised on the Japanese Mitsumi motor, which runs slower than Mashimas and is effectively silent. It is equally happy in a Bulleid Light Pacific or a Stanier 4F.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Yes, I have had one of those motors from you, it's a pretty good one. However I am looking at the prospect of doing some rather smaller 0-6-0's - the inside of a (cast) Ilfracombe goods firebox, or Bishop's Castle 'Carlisle' could probably do with something a bit smaller.

Edited by johnarcher

1 hour ago, Traintresta said:

How is it better? I've always liked the momentum provided by a flywheel,especially as I'm using straight D.C..

I just find that a good motor combined with an excellent gearbox will start and stop smoothly without a flywheel. Adding a flywheel seems to require more energy to get started, and results in a less smooth start.

Certainly, the overrun produced by the flywheel can give the effect of mass and momentum when decelerating but, somehow, a chassis fitted with a flywheel usually seems to run 'rougher' than when the flywheel is removed.

Just my experience; try it, and see if you agree.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 1