I recently commenced building a new garden line after a number of years without one. A mineral tramway in 7/8ths scale.

Track is (being) laid directly on ballast (Travis Perkins ballast topped with horticultural grit, a technique I previously used for a temporary line with rather more success than expected.

Picture shows a Ruston (originally built for an 18 inch gauge line, and subsequently regauged to 2ft)  with skips at the present “head of steel” 

0CA8676A-B88C-4DCA-8C28-ACF707CA2F16.jpeg

Edited by astropsidings
Title change
  • Like 13

A couple of pictures of the line’s Accucraft Bagnall. This has a replacement Bagnall style chimney from David Bailey, and is fitted with a Summerlands Chuffer, though the one intended for the Accucraft Decauville which is a snug fit in the chimney and gives a nice soft chuff.

The oil tank mounted on a skip chassis contains a SSP Slomo. The chassis was from a Canadian skip kit available some years ago, with roller bearings. Apart from the Slomo the tank contains compartments filled with lead shot, and weighs just under 4lbs. Works fine though. 

43162285-04C3-4988-BD6D-129CAA9A84FA.jpeg

5559E524-6550-4890-AAF9-90B8AD9DE4E0.jpeg

02919AAF-FDDA-4D57-B96B-0A0F531BC7CB.jpeg

Edited by astropsidings
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • 1 month later...
On 10/07/2019 at 12:32, Giles said:

I love the weathering in this scale! It makes all the difference.....

Some weathering to be done on the skips....those will probably be all over rust. They are a ready-to-run metal Koppel type skip produced by Accucraft for The Train Department in the US. Originally supplied with “14 inch” wheels I’ve replaced those with Slaters 12 inch wheels, which I think look better.

Some weathered skips here, albeit not too rusty other than the braked one at the end (from the front, 2xSlaters WD skips; a Hudson type skip from a Canadian privately produced resin kit; a Mikes Models “Skippie” on Train Department 14” wheels, https://www.mikes-models.co.uk/index.php/railway/garden-railway/simply-7-8ths-kits/7-8ths-rolling-stock-kits/skippie-wagon-kit-detail.html ; and a Train Department braked skip on Slaters wheels).

• Like 5
On 17/07/2019 at 00:37, Steph' H said:

Watching with interest, I think I remember your previous line.

Thanks, Steph. The line you remember went in 2012, work and living abroad for a bit has got in the way since.

Rabbits! I'm building the line in a small paddock as the garden isn't really suitable. However, the rabbits have made a come back this year. Not in large numbers luckily, but enough to make a mess. 

Yesterday morning I found they'd dug a hole from the lineside, no damage to the track but it was covered around an inch deep for couple of feet. I shoved rubble down their hole, and blocked it off with a conveniently shaped piece of concrete, hoping they were "at home". Well, one wasn't, and had a go at reopening the burrow last night, luckily thwarted by the concrete, but still dumped spoil on the track, just not a whole hole's worth this time:

IMG_2215.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Goodness is it that long ago? Checking out your video channel I am glad to see you still have the hunslet type loco, I'm sure we ran that at Robs one year? I've always liked it. 

I'm glad we don't get rabbits looking at that but I want to know where all my ballast goes when the local Blackbirds are busy chucking it everywhere... I need to get more yet again:rolleyes:

I must say if I have to build again I would like a more open line like yours as my bushes and trees are getting a bit much these days. 

Edited by Steph' H

Steph,

Yes, still have the “Waril-alike”. It steams really well, and runs well with its “Slomo”.

I ran it that day at Rob’s, as you mentioned, almost exactly 6 years ago! Picture of it with your Lawley conversion, and Rob’s “Kafuzelum”, below.

Edit: Forgot to mention the rabbits have been back to the same spot twice now, but defeated by the concrete entrance to their hole. Hopefully they’ll give up soon.....

Waril-alike and Lawley Conversion.jpg

Edited by astropsidings
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That is a lovely photo! Six years ago... Arrrgh Makes me realise how long it's been since I worked on a loco. You have reignited my modelling spirit. Time to have at the loco I've been procrastinating over I think. 

Good luck with the dreaded burrowing fiends. I will be awaiting developments and photos of your line with anticipation.

Not much progress towards finishing the railway at the moment...but there is enough track laid now to run a train over a reasonable distance. 

I have a 20/28 Simplex part finished (I started it 3 years ago!), which I really should get on and finish. In the mean time I have other locos to trundle some skips around....

3B5BD726-03E8-4743-8E7B-333E75364D74.jpeg

Edited by astropsidings
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

To complete the track laying for the time being I’ve finally laid a balloon loop at the far end so trains can be sent out, and eventually will return. Steep terrain prevents any further extension at that end for now. 

All my track is laid in loose ballast, with a degree of cant on the curves. Ballast is potting grit, supplemented with ash from the fire. I’ve dispensed with the ballast sub base mentioned in my first post - bit of an extravagance and not really needed as it turns out. 

A works train negotiates the loop:

33309484-B101-4816-B932-3E26C1BC5655.jpeg

Edited by astropsidings
  • Like 1

Beautiful little railway, fits perfectly into the landscape,

a wise man once said (I can't actually remember who) that 7/8th scale railways always suit the surrounding overgrowth well as the plant life is better in scale to 7/8ths rolling stock than those of smaller scales.

Good job, keep up the good work!

Alex

On 16/01/2020 at 15:42, Narrowgaugebeginner said:

a wise man once said (I can't actually remember who) that 7/8th scale railways always suit the surrounding overgrowth well as the plant life is better in scale to 7/8ths rolling stock than those of smaller scales.

I'm not sure that's quite true when you look at 16mm railways where careful planting really complements the railway. Out of necessity my present line is plonked down in an expanse of grass, but previously I've had a (16mm) line that ran mostly at the back of borders and wasn't at all obvious when you walked into the garden. I prefer it hidden.

Anyway, a couple of days of good weather, ground frozen so not squelchy, and I ran a few trains. The Wren is a bit of a trial in the cold, with a small gas tank needing a couple of refills before running, and is really more suited to warmer weather. The Bagnall on the other hand just keeps on going...

Nice light, but cold once the sun was low. 

A few pics:

Bagnall 2.jpeg

2.jpg

Wren QT.jpeg

Bagnall 1.jpg

• Like 10
  • 4 weeks later...

About four years ago I started scratchbuilding a 20/28HP Simplex, based on Jeremy Tilson’s drawings published in his Industrial Narrow Gauge Illustrated.

The frames, bonnet, cab etc were made from plasticard, with some resin castings from ModelEarth for the coupling blocks, sandboxes, radiator etc. Just the basic radiator is supplied which then needs detailing. 

The simple chassis is soldered up from nickel silver sheet with a Como gearhead drill motor and chain drive  via a layshaft to both axles. Under the bonnet is the motor, Deltang radio control/esc, and a sugar cube speaker for the sound card mounted between the frames at the front.

Progress was slow as I was working abroad most of the time (I took it with me sometimes to do a bit more). Recently I’ve had the time to finally finish it, and it is now in service hauling skips.

A few pictures of the early stages:

FA3F831D-C509-43A8-94C0-88F71A966106.jpeg

1C615C16-19EC-407A-BF10-9995F2459A79.jpeg

1E276D83-0794-4EE7-BA63-306428E17380.jpeg

DEC53331-5AAB-4DC5-A33F-E7459F6723E0.jpeg

D2F23005-935B-4698-A255-0EF75171A9BA.jpeg

• Like 2

The last picture in my previous post was about as far as it got for a while.......

Then about a year ago I did a bit more, made the chassis etc., and in 2020, almost four years to the day, finally got on and finished it.

C9F4880D-B324-46F6-815F-694776088928.jpeg

D4AE0636-8161-46EE-974F-483294C3755C.jpeg

A1B4F50E-C2D2-4F48-8E44-7BE7A06D751E.jpeg

34D4854A-71C5-4634-9F21-E352C1318BB8.jpeg

F189F95C-A6B1-4DCB-9469-212B1E69A1DB.jpeg

40283900-2C45-48DF-AA0D-7C42D3C50730.jpeg

Edited by astropsidings
  • Like 4
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An occasional train has been running, and in the workshop a zimo dcc decoder with proper sound has been fitted in the Simplex, controlled via a radio controlled DCC interface. A clip here with old and new: https://youtu.be/Mp5Ngi3ThH8

My kitbashed Siftsixteen Tin Turtle is coming together also, in its Knostrop Sewage Works guise, not quite there yet.

I was asked what the line was called, but hadn't really thought of a name since as it was intended to be a quarry tramway, that would do as a title. However as there is now a bit of general goods, and the occasional passenger train, I've come up with a name for it, and hence the title of the thread has been changed.

Picture of the Simplex on the Thursdays only passenger, and the Wren on an early evening outing:

Simplex, Ebble District Railway.jpg

Wren, Ebble District Railway.jpg

Edited by astropsidings
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2020 at 22:51, Dorkingian said:

That's a lovely video.  Great atmosphere.  I could almost hear the driver singing to himself...

Thanks. I probably should have used a heavier wagon, and it looks as if the frame is twisted - a rough shunt at some time perhaps...

I’ve been working on a 7/8ths Swift Sixteen Tin Turtle kit, altering it to represent a Knostrop Sewage Works loco. The exterior is mostly done other than the windscreens which are in progress at the moment. Then it will need some interior detail, and the driver.

I took it for a run yesterday evening, though did have to wait for a Boa Constrictor to cross the line..

IMG_3180.jpeg

IMG_3183.jpeg

• Like 6
  • 4 weeks later...