The Chalke District Railways

• RMweb Gold

I recently commenced building a new garden line after a number of years without one. A mineral tramway in 7/8ths scale.

Track is (being) laid directly on ballast (Travis Perkins ballast topped with horticultural grit, a technique I previously used for a temporary line with rather more success than expected.

Picture shows a Ruston (originally built for an 18 inch gauge line, and subsequently regauged to 2ft)  with skips at the present “head of steel” 

0CA8676A-B88C-4DCA-8C28-ACF707CA2F16.jpeg

Edited by astropsidings
Title change
  • Like 13

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/07/2019 at 12:32, Giles said:

I love the weathering in this scale! It makes all the difference.....

Some weathering to be done on the skips....those will probably be all over rust. They are a ready-to-run metal Koppel type skip produced by Accucraft for The Train Department in the US. Originally supplied with “14 inch” wheels I’ve replaced those with Slaters 12 inch wheels, which I think look better.

Some weathered skips here, albeit not too rusty other than the braked one at the end (from the front, 2xSlaters WD skips; a Hudson type skip from a Canadian privately produced resin kit; a Mikes Models “Skippie” on Train Department 14” wheels, https://www.mikes-models.co.uk/index.php/railway/garden-railway/simply-7-8ths-kits/7-8ths-rolling-stock-kits/skippie-wagon-kit-detail.html ; and a Train Department braked skip on Slaters wheels).

• Like 5

Goodness is it that long ago? Checking out your video channel I am glad to see you still have the hunslet type loco, I'm sure we ran that at Robs one year? I've always liked it. 

I'm glad we don't get rabbits looking at that but I want to know where all my ballast goes when the local Blackbirds are busy chucking it everywhere... I need to get more yet again:rolleyes:

I must say if I have to build again I would like a more open line like yours as my bushes and trees are getting a bit much these days. 

Edited by Steph' H

That is a lovely photo! Six years ago... Arrrgh Makes me realise how long it's been since I worked on a loco. You have reignited my modelling spirit. Time to have at the loco I've been procrastinating over I think. 

Good luck with the dreaded burrowing fiends. I will be awaiting developments and photos of your line with anticipation.

• 5 months later...

Beautiful little railway, fits perfectly into the landscape,

a wise man once said (I can't actually remember who) that 7/8th scale railways always suit the surrounding overgrowth well as the plant life is better in scale to 7/8ths rolling stock than those of smaller scales.

Good job, keep up the good work!

Alex

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2020 at 22:51, Dorkingian said:

That's a lovely video.  Great atmosphere.  I could almost hear the driver singing to himself...

Thanks. I probably should have used a heavier wagon, and it looks as if the frame is twisted - a rough shunt at some time perhaps...

I’ve been working on a 7/8ths Swift Sixteen Tin Turtle kit, altering it to represent a Knostrop Sewage Works loco. The exterior is mostly done other than the windscreens which are in progress at the moment. Then it will need some interior detail, and the driver.

I took it for a run yesterday evening, though did have to wait for a Boa Constrictor to cross the line..

IMG_3180.jpeg

IMG_3183.jpeg

• Like 7

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A while since I last posted. 

I’ve been working on a coal fired conversion of an Accucraft Ragleth chassis, with a Mike’s Models Baldrig body kit, which I started in late 2011, but had been stored away for some years…….

The chassis was steamable by the end of last year, since when I’ve concentrated on the body work. RC being fitted at the moment with batteries, receiver, servo etc mounted on the underside of the cab roof.

A picture taken on a cold winter’s day in steam without bodywork, and more recently on a sunny day posed with my Tin Turtle.

D9C3DC0F-CDAA-4A95-8BAC-3FF9DDBAE4F7.jpeg

F53DE006-5E67-4983-90BE-DCCAB9E83B2D.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, astropsidings said:

You’ve so many other things on the go, Paul! 

I thought you had a TT kit? 

I do but it’s only got as far as cleaning up so far. I’ve also got two track powered steam loco chassis and a partly built railcar but as you say too many other distractions ;)

I haven’t weakened yet on live steam in 7/8ths but I am in the middle of converting a Mamod roller as a bit of fun for the eventual line. 

Edited by PaulRhB

• 4 months later...
On 21/09/2021 at 09:50, astropsidings said:

Thanks Steph. Have we seen any recent pictures of your line……? 

I’ve had my “Waril-alike”, as you once called it, for ten years this year. Acquired via Simon Whenmouth, and originally in a red livery. Presumably the builder (still don’t know who) liked the colour! If it had room for a name plate I might call it “Forest Gump”, cos it just keeps on runnin’.

A couple more pictures, one from 2011, one from this year:

Waril 2011.jpg

Waril 2021.JPG

I still like that loco! I have a recollection that Ivan at IP had it at some point but I might be wrong. 

Love the B&W shot. 

Sadly my line is not really operational atm, we took it up to move house, then that fell through and an oval was replaced down just to run on while things sorted themselves out and that was 5 years ago:resent:. Now the neighbours having work done so that ovals been up and down this year annoyingly. 

Fingers crossed for next year right now ...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, astropsidings said:

Derailments are rare but the Simplex did suffer a mishap on the balloon loop. The odd times it does derail it always does so in a prototypical manner. It did it on video once.

IMGP8127.jpeg

Nice to see the bar actually doing it’s job and keeping the wheels from digging in too :) 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

In February 2022 I started building a 3D printed kit for a bent frame Simplex (available from SWC3DBackshop on Etsy). Some pictures of the build below to replace those lost in the RMWeb woes earlier in 2022. I used some ModelEarth parts (brake stand and wheel, radiator) as well as a ModelEarth Simplex driver, intended for a 20/28 with a left foot clutch; he had his legs swapped to suit the right foot clutch on this loco. I made a simple brass chassis, powered by a Slaters traction motor, and controlled by a Zimo DCC sound decoder, with sound from Digitrains, working via a Fosworks RC/DCC interface.

IMG_4997.jpeg

IMG_4998.jpeg

IMG_5039.jpeg

IMG_5040.jpeg

IMG_5137.jpeg

IMG_5138.jpeg

IMG_5139.jpeg

IMG_5140.jpeg

IMG_5141.jpeg

IMG_5430.jpeg

IMG_5435.jpeg

IMG_5524.jpeg