EDM double fairlie in 0-16.5

I started the double fairlie in 2016 and I have finally got it running. Still need to sort out the dcc chip and it may well get sound as well yet. It has all wheel pickups with both engines driven and powered by 2 mashima 1630 motors with a high level roadrunner plus gearbox. It appears to be able to cope with 2 foot radius as a minimum curve. 

Now I can crack on with the last few bits including the other buckeye coupler. 

CE6370C6-721B-4D01-AEE7-FCE5AFCAFCE2.jpeg

42B941B4-D645-42F1-9832-9DEEB4683A66.jpeg

00286F85-AEA1-4ABA-90C4-454CD540AB8B.jpeg

55DD65D9-40E8-4878-875A-DC6150B20A7B.jpeg

063449F7-D569-4D35-8875-7C20CDEE3BB0.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Hello Paul

that would be of interest as i am hoping to get the DCC chip in and i can always go back in later to fit the sound card and speaker. There is lots of room inside of the firebox for the speaker. Let me know when you have it ready and the cost and i would be very interested. Incidentally does the loco sound chuff in time on both ends in normal operation or is there a distinctive chuff from both ends. If so would it sound too chatty in a model form?

I have also completed the first of 5 lots of lining on the loco............

Looking forwards to hearing from you.

Mark

DF 1.jpg

DF 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Mark,

This would be for a ZIMO sound decoder: motor, functions and sound all in one. No separate sound card.

Not yet decided on how the chuffs will work. Normal plan would be to phase in and out the two ends but in reality, these locos seem to somehow sync pretty well in time (unlike garratts) so the normal approach might not sound authentic. I might even make this user-selectable so you can choose how to operate it.

I'll post here when I make some progress, but they will probably be available from EDM in due course.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mark

I've only just caught up with this thread having been talking to Paul Chetter about another project when we met today The Gauge 0 Guild Summer show in Doncaster. There is another sound project that we are working on that needs to be finished first after which we will look at the sounds for Double Fairlies.

As Paul intimated above, I drive the real things on the Festiniog and arranged for Paul to be able to record a number of our engines over a weekend when the main target was Lyd. In practice the engines sync themselves up and it’s something to do with the way the two ends pull at each other through the cradle.  If they get out of sync one end will give a little slip to get back in sync

One of the problems we are having with setting up the sounds in perspective. What I hear as driver is very different to what you hear a 100 yds away at the trackside as I am between the chimneys and listening to what each end it doing to balance how hard each is working.

The other thing you do notice is that at low speed the syncing isn’t both ends going chuff at the same time but them taking it in turns.  To illustrate this have a look at the video at the bottom of this page http://www.ngtrains.com/blog/chuffing-about-for-two-weeks/    You’ll have to ignore the wind noise but its me driving Merddin out of Porthmadog and right at the beginning notice that the ends take it in turn to chuff but that it very quickly becomes one sound.

The other twist is that light engine we’ll often move them about using just one end. On a train its always both ends (unless we’ve broken it) as you’re trying to balance the work they do and that’s not just for the power but the temperature of the fireboxes is related to the chuff and their can be issues of different expansion although this was a bigger issue with oil firing.

Practically, I would think it will be October/November before we have the decoders ready. There are two reasons for this. Firstly, Paul thinks that whilst he has most of the sounds I may have to record some ancillary sounds when I am driving over the summer and, secondly, after years in shiny brass and nickel silver on our stand the EDM Models demo model is with Warren Heywood for painting and I won’t get it back until September to install sounds

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Paul 

Thank you for the information regarding the synchronizing of the two ends. Interesting reading. I have seen the run rounds at both ends of the FR and the loco been driven on one regulator only. I am interested in the sound card for the Double Fairlie. It will of course have plenty of room in the firebox area of the loco for the speaker as well.

I look forward to the release date of the sound card and please put me down for one when its available in the near future.

In the meantime i may end up purchasing another of your EDM loco kits at some point as i really liked the Double Fairlie kit. I think i said to you over the phone that the kit was a dream to build. Something along the lines of rattle the box and it all fell together superbly.  I will be in touch when time and money permits. I need to decide which one i go for as i cannot go for all of them.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

For anyone who might be tempted to build a 7mm Double Fairlie, I was with Paul at the Doncaster show and he has one kit left - and after that who knows when they might be available again as there are a number of other projects in the queue . . . . . . .