The National Festival of Railway Modelling, Peterborough - 7 & 8 December 2019

BRMExhibitions

First time visit to this show, a good all round show but there did seem to be more traders than layouts. Good parking and hey it’s free( nec could learn a lesson) food and drinks a bit pricey but no more than expected. Plenty of space to walk around and after the initial usual rush not one bang into a ruck sack or should say banged by one, seeing the layouts was fairly easy. Only real gripe why do people seem to hold conversations right in front of the layouts, if you want to chat move away so others can see. The layouts were varied but for me no one wow layout grabbed me but although not my cup of tea I did take time to appreciate those that are not my interest. But as usual my curse that things go wrong with them when I viewed sorry to bring bad luck. Will I go again most definitely, it was more relaxed than Warley with less hustle and bustle. There was the A14 road closure but that’s no fault of the show.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed the show this morning. I thought there was a really good balance if varied layouts in different scales and periods. Not all “my thing” but thanks to the variety all interesting to see. Also the differing approaches to modelling.

My only minor gripe would be the lack of signage on the roads when coming from the East and taking the southern ring road. Maybe something to consider next year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Darwinian said:

My only minor gripe would be the lack of signage on the roads when coming from the East and taking the southern ring road. Maybe something to consider next year.

I thought East of England Showground was well signposted, but I have been there for speedway many times so I knew the Arena is in the same place.

I find it a bit confusing when alternative names such as East of England Arena are used because these are not on the signposts & for someone unfamiliar, the 2 venues may not necessarily be in the same location. It is not like the Arena carries a sponsor's name like the Marshall MK Arena in Milton Keynes, which is part of the football stadium.

Many years ago, I was a member of the Colchester & District club when their exhibition was at the Institute. Many of their requests for signage were refused because the Institute itself was signposted. I am not sure if this was the local council being completely stupid or it was/is a general rule applied in other places.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Darwinian said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the show this morning. I thought there was a really good balance if varied layouts in different scales and periods. Not all “my thing” but thanks to the variety all interesting to see. Also the differing approaches to modelling.

It was sign posted from the Eye end of the A47 it was signposted,  my satnav didn't agree with them though. 

First time I've been really enjoyed it,  met up with Ken W off this site

11 minutes ago, russ p said:

It was sign posted from the Eye end of the A47 it was signposted,  my satnav didn't agree with them though. 

First time I've been really enjoyed it,  met up with Ken W off this site

I think that’s the issue I have. SatNav takes me  from the Westbound A47 onto the A1139 and round South of the showground.  When I first started going I followed the A47 all the way in and the model show signs were fine.  Not a big issue now I know where I am going anyway.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

To be honest when I used to go to the BL car show near ferry meadows I always stayed on the A47 as per yesterday's signs but yesterday after leaving the show I went to see a friend in stanground  and realised going south of Peterborough is actually quicker even with the speed camerad 60mph 

Spent a few hours today, first time taking my five year old to a show. He had a great time, not too busy so he could get a look at everything with the hired footstool. Personally found the fences good as it took away the worry of him leaning or knocking something. Thanks to the people that took time to speak with him as well, apart from the kid-oriented layouts he was very interested in the live steam one and was talking to one of the guys for some time. Was rushed for an afternoon booking so didn't get to do any proper shopping, sure I saw the newish Hornby City of Edinburgh at £100 somewhere, if only I hadn't already spent my Christmas money....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well,  popped into the Peterborough show from  Scotland today, ok that's not STRICTLY  true. Was down in London yesderday with SWMBO  and the brother and sister in law  for a bit of culture, OK it was the Harry Potter show, but it's a show, at a theatre, so that's counts as culture, right ?  And today, Sunday I had the choice, Go with that lot to the Tutankhamun exhibition to see a mummyfied old fossil, or go to the National Festival of model railway exhibition and see . . . . ANDY Y.      :D   No contest. . . But they only had three tickets for King TuT  So I got stuck with his Lordship :crazy_mini:. . . . You know what guys ?  All that way. . . And. . . . No cake.    Yup not a piece, not a crumb. .  Not even the essence of cake. According to Mr A Y. That b&!@@y  Phill ( scoff the lot) Parker had eaten it all and scarpered !   Anyway the show,  well not as big or busy as the main Scottish show in Glasgow in February ( go on visit, you know you want to , it's WELL worth it)  At  Peterborough there seamed to be more  traders than layouts exhibiting, but and its a big BUT,. What a lovely friendly bunch they are !  I had a wonderful, all too brief time wandering and chatting to exhibitors, traders, demontrators and those great guys building a charity layout for kids,  and witnessed an awful lot of helpful advice being given, and time taken on almost all the layouts, to families with children, many being given opertunities to actually run trains.  Guys and Gals I applaud you all !  Keep up the great work, you are all great Ambasadors for our Hobby

Next time though Andy,.  MORE CAKE !!!!!!!    :rtfm:

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Mattc6911 said:

You know what guys ?  All that way. . . And. . . . No cake.    Yup not a piece, not a crumb. .  Not even the essence of cake. According to Mr A Y. That b&!@@y  Phill ( scoff the lot) Parker had eaten it all and scarpered !

I didn't get any cake all weekend. I was even instructed to have some and couldn't find any that appealed!

This is sad as a few years ago, the caterers used to provide the best chocolate cake, but it stopped when I had access to a vehicle I could have loaded with a weeks supply...

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, 88C said:

There were some nice blueberry muffins on Saturday.

Enjoyable show all round.

Brian

Not to mention Lemon Drizzle Cake.

If only I didn't need to take out a loan on my Mortgage to buy one...   :cry:

21 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I thought East of England Showground was well signposted, but I have been there for speedway many times so I knew the Arena is in the same place.

I find it a bit confusing when alternative names such as East of England Arena are used because these are not on the signposts & for someone unfamiliar, the 2 venues may not necessarily be in the same location. It is not like the Arena carries a sponsor's name like the Marshall MK Arena in Milton Keynes, which is part of the football stadium.

Many years ago, I was a member of the Colchester & District club when their exhibition was at the Institute. Many of their requests for signage were refused because the Institute itself was signposted. I am not sure if this was the local council being completely stupid or it was/is a general rule applied in other places.

The Showground is well signposted, but the change of name for the exhibition hall to 'The Arena' is new and is not on the signs. It would be much better if it was advertised as being at the East of England Showground, until the signs are changed (probably, a very long wait). To be fair, there were a number of yellow event signs saying 'Model Railway Exhibition', but these can be missed if you're concentrating in the heavy traffic on the fast-moving, unfamiliar roads.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Have been to quite a few of the Peterborough Exhibitions and apart from my first two when I went by train from Norwich I have driven. Much enjoyed the show but for the first time I got lost and enjoyed driving around various Peterborough suburbs. So I did find signage an issue even though there were yellow signs - just that I stopped seeing them. The comment about driving along a busy and unfamiliar road is very apposite. All's well that ends well in that got there just after 10am and found it well worth it.

Edited by geoffers
Spelling
  • Like 1

Enjoyed the show on Saturday, first time I have been though I knew where to get the shuttle bus having used it previously for the National Garden Railway Show - also held at the East of England Showground.  One of those shows where it is handy that a lot of the big names attend as it's an opportunity to see items up close rather than viewing images on the interweb.  Will hopefully manage to make it next year.

• Like 1

• AY Mod unpinned this topic