How do you pronounce Heljan?

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

The correct form is Helly-anne. I got a lecture on this from someone with a lot of attitude. But when I tried this with a friend he looked blank. I've gone back to Hell-jan, and I'm waiting to see when someone uses the correct version. I've been waiting over two years already.

- Richard.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

I have always thought Helyan, but then wonder if I am being too clever (and very un-British) in trying to say a foreign word how native speakers would, rather than just anglicising it, as we do with Paris and Cologne, for example.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

“J” in German and Nordic languages is pronounced as “y”. Without trying to wind my uvula around Danish pronunciation, I think “Helyan” is a reasonably Anglicised pronunciation, which is how I pronounce it. I am, of course, out on a limb as usual. Pronunciation of the “j” as in English seems almost universal. Perhaps the Danes are so annoyed by the mispronunciation that they make locomotives with bits that fall off.

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

58 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Without trying to wind my uvula around Danish pronunciation

And certainly don't try and wind it round Danish bacon....  :blink:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Same problem with "Braun" I say "brown" having a spattering of German but get blank looks when I use it.

Oh! You mean "Brawn" when queried.

I suppose I should say No you mean "brown"

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I have relatives in Denmark, and while I don't speak Danish, I do have some idea of their pronunciations, and the 'j' is definitely a 'y' sound (agreeing with others here) - Hell-yahn or something like that.

Just for amusement: the Danish letter 'y' is pronounced more like 'oo'. I was told to form my mouth to say 'ee' but try to say 'oo' at the same time. Try this in front of a mirror! :D 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

I had the same problem while trying to buy a camera many years ago. Having a thick 'ampshire' accent (very much like the engine drivers on the DVD of the Hayling Branch Line) I went up to London for the day and asked to see a Neekon. The assistant looked at me, puzzled, and then asked if I meant a Neyekon. I eventually found the correct way to pronounce it...Pentax.

• Funny 11

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Same problem with "Braun" I say "brown" having a spattering of German but get blank looks when I use it.

Oh! You mean "Brawn" when queried.

I suppose I should say No you mean "brown"

I'm now wondering if there's one of those Downfall parodies, when Hitler gets upset because the British can't pronounce his girlfriend's name properly.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Oh! You mean "Brawn" when queried

That's exactly what an acneous youth said to me the last time I went into the local shop that sells shaver foils and whatnot.  "Don't be a smartarse, sunshine, it doesn't become you" sufficed.

18 minutes ago, 90rob said:

I had the same problem while trying to buy a camera many years ago. Having a thick 'ampshire' accent (very much like the engine drivers on the DVD of the Hayling Branch Line) I went up to London for the day and asked to see a Neekon. The assistant looked at me, puzzled, and then asked if I meant a Neyekon. I eventually found the correct way to pronounce it...Pentax.

As an ex-professional photographer, I feel obliged to point out that it's "Nikkon" if you're British, but "Nye-kon" with the noticeable pause 'twixt syllables if you're a Yank. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, SRman said:

... the Danish letter 'y' is pronounced more like 'oo'. I was told to form my mouth to say 'ee' but try to say 'oo' at the same time.

According to my Danish dentist, the trick with his native tongue is to form most of the sounds partly at the back of the throat and partly down the nose, then having formed them authentically, slur each syllable into the one following it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, spikey said:

That's exactly what an acneous youth said to me the last time I went into the local shop that sells shaver foils and whatnot.  "Don't be a smartarse, sunshine, it doesn't become you" sufficed.

As an ex-professional photographer, I feel obliged to point out that it's "Nikkon" if you're British, but "Nye-kon" with the noticeable pause 'twixt syllables if you're a Yank. 

Then there's Ikea which should be pronounced ick-ear (more or less) not eye-kee-ah. I'm definitely in the "Helyan" camp, probably because I've worked for Finnish  and Swedish companies in the past.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I'm now wondering if there's one of those Downfall parodies, when Hitler gets upset because the British can't pronounce his girlfriend's name properly.....

V2? - Sorry wrong von Braun!:jester: