How do you pronounce Heljan?

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Fenman said:

It is curious, though. Does that mean that all of us should immediately stop referring to Moscow and instead call it Mockba?

And no-one's allowed to say Rome any longer? Or Florence?

Etc...

Paul (who's firmly inside the Danelaw)

The Italian place name I can’t get my head round is why Livorno is Leghorn.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Fenman said:

It is curious, though. Does that mean that all of us should immediately stop referring to Moscow and instead call it Mockba?

And no-one's allowed to say Rome any longer? Or Florence?

Etc...

Paul (who's firmly inside the Danelaw)

Moscow is Moskva not Mockba (Mockba uses the Cyrillic alphabet, Moskva is the Roman equivalent).

• Like 1

Most Angliziced Italian place names are Percy Bysshe Shelley's fault!

And speaking Italian, here in the US a waiter will happily bring a bottle of Kianti (Chianti), but give you blank looks when you order the Brusketta (Bruschetta).

Also the reason to pronounce place names correctly is just to avoid confusion.

I was sat in Frankfurt Airport waiting for a connection and could't figure out where LH1234 to Mailand was going, Milano, or Milan if you prefer.

The Scandinavians do it just to annoy one another I think, Koepenhavn is a rough approximation of the Danish, Shurpenhamm, is an even worse approximation in Swedish, sorry Svensk.

John P

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 14:18, 61661 said:

My favourite ever mispronunciation of a model company name was during my time at Rails when a customer came in asking about ‘Djowff’ models. It took us a while to figure out he meant Jouef!  

Post Limas collapse once had a punter asking if I had any Lee-marr

well, just watched a video where Ben the UK company rep introduces it as Helyan, so it has to be Helyan, which makes most of us wrong

and should have read page 2 as Ben already said.......face Palm

Edited by 47606odin
because I didn't read page 2 and now feel a fool
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

I pronounce it Hel-Jin.

I know it may be wrong, but I'd sure get some funny looks up here in Scotland if I try to pronounce it any other way.

You just reminded me of a trip I had on a train from Nairn to Aberdeen back in 1984. There were a couple of German tourists sitting on the other side of the coach from me, with the gentleman reading the map and announcing each station as we pulled in. When we got to Elgin, he announced loudly "el- JINN. el-JINN!", with emphasis on the second syllable as well as the soft 'G' (='J"). :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Round here on the the river it's "how far to Ah cle" instead of A (as in Hay) cle.. Acle.

To me it's Hel-yan. A few years ago I stood by the building of a ship in Poland, the first of the design had been built on the Clyde and was named Jura (after the island). When referring to her the Poles always pronounced it as Yura.

(To me the ch in Bachmann is pronounced as in the Scottish word loch.)

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 31/05/2019 at 12:15, SRman said:

You just reminded me of a trip I had on a train from Nairn to Aberdeen back in 1984. There were a couple of German tourists sitting on the other side of the coach from me, with the gentleman reading the map and announcing each station as we pulled in. When we got to Elgin, he announced loudly "el- JINN. el-JINN!", with emphasis on the second syllable as well as the soft 'G' (='J"). :D

You're losing your marbles! :)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2019 at 12:15, SRman said:

Many years ago on holiday in Devon we were approached by American tourists clutching a map and asking for directions to "Barn Staple" with a very heavy southern states accent - easy confusion when you look at it in print but it kept us guessing for a few minutes :D

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Funny 1

Going off topic slightly, having learned Welsh, whenever I see the name "Modelu" (the creators of the stunning 3d printed figures) on these forums, in my head I always read it as "Modelli", a final U in Welsh usually being pronounced as "I", rather than "Modelyou" which is what I suspect it is meant to sound like.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Going off topic slightly, having learned Welsh, whenever I see the name "Modelu" (the creators of the stunning 3d printed figures) on these forums, in my head I always read it as "Modelli", a final U in Welsh usually being pronounced as "I", rather than "Modelyou" which is what I suspect it is meant to sound like.

Given that Alan from Modelu is from Caersws or thereabouts, I think he knew what he was doing with that... 

I went to school in Aberystwyth and always 'see' the Welsh pronunciation of Modelu when I read it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with the Hell Jan school of thought in the UK but if I was in a foreign place that pronounced it as Helyan I'd do so.

There are many times that I'll go with Oktober and Köln quite often when communicating with friends.

Don't get me started about how to say one of the local station names - Slaithwaite.

Living in the German-speaking part of Switzerland, I've always read Heljan as 'hell-yan', not 'hell-jan' and 'helly-an' hadn't even occurred to me.

They've yet to make anything that I've wanted to add to my collection though.

• RMweb Premium

HELLy'n here, though I usually go with the flow and it becomes "HELLj'n" in company of others using that pronunciation.  But apparently if you call them they answer the phone with something sounding like "HILLyan"

Bachmann is pronounced in a faintly Germanic style here as BACH-mann but with the "CH" sounding like the Scots ch as in Loch.

Hornby is Hornby without appreciable stress though I have heard HORN-bye surprisingly often.  

Peco is "PEE-coh" from its full name of Pritchard Patent Product Company (P-Co.) and PIKO is "PIKE-oh in my book, rightly or wrongly.  

Cameras are pronounced CANnon never CAYnon and definitely not a name starting with the letter N here ;)  

Elgin takes the hard G in Scotland but the same name in Australia is said with a soft G as  "EL-jin"  Those canny Aussies also have other British place names mastered.  Derby is "DER-bee" not "DAR-bee" for instance.  

Professionally I deal with a great many travel enquiries and have to interpret pronunciations and accents all the time.  I find it surprising the number of Americans asking for "WINED-sore" but who, in the same breath, wish to see WIND-zer Castle.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Peco is "PEE-coh" from its full name of Pritchard Patent Product Company (P-Co.) and PIKO is "PIKE-oh in my book, rightly or wrongly. 

Totally agree, even though Piko is pronounced Peeko on the other side of the Channel. It is the only exception I make since it differentiates the mob in Devon from them in Germany.

Then we have Fl-eye-schmann (Fleischmann), F-ee-ssmann (Viessmann), M-ayer-klin (Maerklin) and Pr-eye-ser (Preiser) to throw into the pot. The Germans have a logic: the 'ei' combination is usually -eye-, the 'ie' combination resolves as -eee-

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I have had several customers (newbies) asking about 'Peck-oh' products recently.  Odd as I had never heard it before, and now have half a dozen times in a couple of weeks.  It was one of those 'Oh you meal Pee-co...no, peck-oh....no sir, YOU mean Peco'!

Hel yan Neil.  Who has several Swedish friends.

• Friendly/supportive 1

From my rudimentary understanding of Danish - learnt from years of being glued to such fine television such as The Bridge, Borgen, Follow the Money and the Killing :laugh_mini: - I would have thought it should be 'Hel-yan'. The English 'j' sound just doesn't exist in many other languages. 

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I have had several customers (newbies) asking about 'Peck-oh' products recently.  Odd as I had never heard it before, and now have half a dozen times in a couple of weeks.  It was one of those 'Oh you meal Pee-co...no, peck-oh....no sir, YOU mean Peco'!

Hel yan Neil.  Who has several Swedish friends.

I always thought of it as Peck-oh until I heard somebody pronounce it otherwise. I believe in Germanic countries you need to ask for "Britisches Pee-ko".