Hornby's Latest LNER Models USA Scotsman and Coaches

micklner

Photos from the latest Hornby Engine Shed.

Alan Pegler USA Flying Scotsman  and new versions of  Gresley Corridor Coaches which appear to have a corrected Tumblehome and a good Teak finish.

scotsman usa.jpg

scotsman 2.jpg

es-teak-coaches-1.jpg

es-teak-coaches-2.jpg

es-teak-coaches-3.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Interesting comment Mick; I looked at those pictures too and wondered whether the tumblehome of the coaches had been altered - they certainly look better for some reason, as does the livery application.

• Agree 1

The problem with all of above as usual , is they are not the finished items .

Scotsman is much better than the last issues, if they arrive like that in due course.

Comments on the LNER forum, where I also posted the same photos, are from at least two people so far,  the coaches are still "flat" sided . To my eyes the lower side panels have a tumblehome curve , most noticeably at the ends.  Again we will have to wait and see , at £53 a pop they have to be good for Hornby's sake to have any hope of selling them !!!.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 31A said:

Interesting comment Mick; I looked at those pictures too and wondered whether the tumblehome of the coaches had been altered - they certainly look better for some reason, as does the livery application.

I'm sceptical; to correct the problem would also require the underframes to be narrowed. The bogies were also over-width, presumably to match or compensate, so they would need modification or risk looking wrong. Putting them right would at last tempt me to buy some though!

The Nim.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, micklner said:

Comments on the LNER forum, where I also posted the same photos, are from at least two people so far,  the coaches are still "flat" sided . To my eyes the lower side panels have a tumblehome curve , most noticeably at the ends.  Again we will have to wait and see , at £53 a pop they have to be good for Hornby's sake to have any hope of selling them !!!.

2 hours ago, Nimbus said:

I'm sceptical; to correct the problem would also require the underframes to be narrowed. The bogies were also over-width, presumably to match or compensate, so they would need modification or risk looking wrong. Putting them right would at last tempt me to buy some though!

The Nim.

I'm sure you're both right, if only for the very good reasons given by The Nim.  I just thought it interesting (and perhaps wishful thinking!) that I had thought the same thing as Mick when I looked at the pictures, before he had written his comment on here!  Perhaps just as well in some ways, as it would be expensive to replace the 'slab sided' ones that I've got.

• RMweb Premium

I would have much preferred the Scotsman wasn’t gold plated but I will still be adding her to my collection. I wonder how easy it will be to make the light work. The coaches paintwork looks much better than previous versions. Enough to make me buy a rake, even though I’m a GWR man haha.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, sunbeam.20 said:

Are these the standard UK OO narrow gauge offerings or genuine HO in standard gauge?

I believe that there is a world market for the Flying Scotsman in HO.

Matthew

Standard Hornby OO Gauge. Hornby don’t do HO models. That’s their international brands that do. 

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, sunbeam.20 said:

Since the data is available perhaps it could used under the Rivarossi brand then to create another market. Many Australians and Americans would purchase one.

Matthew

I doubt they are going to spend £100,000 + to shrink it the body to HO gauge. 

• RMweb Premium
On 24/05/2019 at 20:33, micklner said:

a good Teak finish.

es-teak-coaches-3.jpg

I respectfully disagree, Mick. The teak is still the later, disimproved version. I wouldn't want people pre-ordering these in the hope that the disimprovements have been reversed. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

I respectfully disagree, Mick. The teak is still the later, disimproved version. I wouldn't want people pre-ordering these in the hope that the disimprovements have been reversed. 

Yes I see your point .

Have look here , I have just looked at these links , the photos are vastly different from the above ones, as said earlier what actually turns up in August remains to be seen !!

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lner-61-6-gresley-corridor-composite-brake-32557-era-3.html

Looks much better, no end views so no confirmation shape of Tumblehome 

R4829.1.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Thanks 1

The teak finish is new. The much maligned third batch after Sander Kan factory stopped Hornby production, had the 'grain' going across panel joints, contributing to the 'MFI' effect. The new stuff seems to be applied 'panel specific'.

Still not as good as the original releases, but better than the last stuff.

As has been already said however, livery samples and what ends up on the shelves may be completely different. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, looking at that buffet car in the above post, and the BCK in the link to Hornby, you can see the middle beading in the wrong place and the fine wood graining is vertical on the door panels. Those two carriages look all too suspiciously like the first batch! The advice to wait until August is good. I won’t be making any purchase based on any of the images.

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The composite and Buffet pics linked to will be the CGI images that were released when the coaches first came out (albeit with different numbers). The original coaches looked very close to this finish. The new batch IS different, based on the pics on the Engine Shed blog, but IS NOT the pine effect that we saw in the first post-SK batches. The printing has definately changed and improved. But yes lets wait to see how the final product emerges.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, micklner said:

Yes I see your point .

Have look here , I have just looked at these links , the photos are vastly different from the above ones, as said earlier what actually turns up in August remains to be seen !!

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lner-61-6-gresley-corridor-composite-brake-32557-era-3.html

Looks much better, no end views so no confirmation shape of Tumblehome 

R4829.1.jpg

I really can't see them re-tooling at this stage. The fact that the revised teak was allowed out of the factory, and looks like being allowed out again, strongly suggests a disregard for customers' views on these, so it's unlikely they've responded to those same customers' concerns re the tumblehome. If they had, I'm fairly sure they'd have made a song and a dance about it. As it is, these are only fit for one thing - donor models to be used with etched brass sides. 

• Like 2

I agree that the loco just looks awful - didn't they do 'Sir Nigel' in a similar manner not so long ago? Didn't like that either.

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Premium
On 29/05/2019 at 05:09, Philou said:

I agree that the loco just looks awful - didn't they do 'Sir Nigel' in a similar manner not so long ago? Didn't like that either.

Cheers,

Philip

That was Mallard. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2019 at 18:00, Daddyman said:

As it is, these are only fit for one thing - donor models to be used with etched brass sides. 

While you are entitled to your views that is a pretty harsh statement. Yes if you are modelling the BR period when they all got painted then its relatively easy to create a fine looking model from etched brass sides - but I don't think I have ever seen anyone carry off a good varnished teak LNER livery (including lining + shaded typeface) via such a method.

Much will therefore depend on the decoration on the latest release - is it as good as those initially produced by Sanda Kan over a decade ago? If it is then there are those who will be quite willing to purchase them on that basis regardless of the lack of Tumblehome you and some others seem regard as the be all and end all.

• Agree 1